- Volume 57 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Mentoring on Beginning Science Teacher's Perception Change in Their Teaching Performance
멘토링이 초임 중등과학교사의 교수실행에서 나타나는 인식변화에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.09.16
- Accepted : 2013.10.17
- Published : 2013.12.20
The purpose of this study was to examine the change of the beginning science teachers' perception change through the mentoring program. Participants in this study were four mento-teachers, one university professor, two teachers in doctor, two teacher in doctor's or master's course, and four mentee-teachers who had less than three years teaching experience. We performed five times one to one mentoring for a year. We collected data such as video recordings of mentee-teacher's classes, lesson plans, recording of one to one mentoring and transcription, mento and mentee journals, preliminary-interim-post interview and transcription, and RTOP class observation report. Based on the result of this study, five times mentoring over a year changed mentee-teacher's perception and their teaching practice.
Beginning science teacher;Mentoring program;Teachers' perception change
- Seol, K. J. Changes and Limitations of Specialty for Social Studies Instruction of Beginning Teachers in Elementary School and the Ideal of Consulting. Journal of the Korean Social Studies Education 2012, 51(1), 65-89.
- Kang, H. S.; Kim, Y. S. Study on Improvement of Student Teachers' Teaching Skills Through Self-Relfection. The Korean Journal of Biological Education 2003, 31(1), 72-86.
- Lim, J. K.; Yang, I. H. A Study on the Professional Development Process of Elementary Teacher. Journal of the Korean Elementary Science Education 2008, 27(2), 93-101.
- Supovitz, J. A.; Turner, H. M. The Effects of Professional on Science Teaching Practices and Classroom Culture. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 2000, 37(9), 963-980. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200011)37:9<963::AID-TEA6>3.0.CO;2-0
- Nam, K. Y. Development of Initial Stage for Beginning Teachers. The Journal of Korean Education The Journal of Korean Educational Developement Research 2005, 26(2), 105-128.
- Ryu, B. R. Problems Facing Secondary Beginning Teachers and Solving Problems. The Journal of Korean Educational Research 2002, 29(1), 59-86.
- Hong, J. E.; Shin, Y. J.; Jhun, Y. S.; Shin, M. K.; Cho, S. M. Case Study of Interaction between Novice and Expert Teachers in Science Teacher Association. The Journal of Korean Elementary science education 2008, 27(2), 170-178.
- Lortie, D. School Teacher: A Sociological Study; University of Chicago Press: Chicago, 1996.
- Porter, A. C.; Youngs, P.; Odden, A. Advance in Teacher Assessments and Their Uses. In Handbook of Research on Teaching; V. Richardson, Ed.; AERA: Washington, D.C., 2001; pp 259-297.
- Shin, B. S. The Practice and Implication of the Beginning Teacher Mentoring Program in the United States. The Journal of Korean Educational Administration 2005, 23(4), 103-128.
- Sim, J. H. Secondary School Science Teachers' Perceptions about Professionality and In-service Training Program for Experiment. The Korean Journal of Biological Education 2006, 34(1), 27-37.
- Jeon, H. Y.; Yoo, M. H.; Hong, G. H.; Park, E. I. Study on Teaching Anxiety and Effects for Professional Development of Beginning Secondary Science Teachers. J. Korean Assoc Sci. Edu 2009, 29(1), 68-78.
- Shin, B. S. The Relationship between School Organizational Culture, Beginning Teacher Mentoring and Their Adaptation to Teaching Profession. Korean Teacher Education Study 2010, 27(1), 277-300.
- Go, M. S.; Lee, S. D.; Choi, J. H.; Nam, J. H. The Effect of Cooperative Mentoring on Beginning Science Teachers' Reflective Practice. J. Korean Assoc Sci. Edu 2009, 29(5), 564-579.
- Bryan, H. Reconstructing the Teacher as a Post Secular Pedagogue: A Consideration of the New Teachers' Standards. Journal of Beliefs & Values 2012, 33(2), 217-228. https://doi.org/10.1080/13617672.2012.694064
- Pajares, F. Preservice Teachers' Beliefs: A Focus for Teacher Education. Action Teacher Education 1993, 15(2), 45. https://doi.org/10.1080/01626620.1993.10734409
- Zeichner, K. M.; Tabachnick, B. R. The Development of Teacher perspectives: Final report. 1985.
- Piburn, M.; Sawada, D. Reformed Teaching Observation Protocol (RTOP) Training Guide (ACEPT Technical Report No. IN00-3); Tempe, AZ: Arizona Collaborative for Excellence in the Preparation of Teachers, 2001.
- Go, M. S.; Nam, J. H. The Change in Beginning Science Teachers' Reflective Practice in their Teaching Performance through Collaborative Mentoring. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2013, 34(1), 94-113.
- Stake, R. E. Case studies: In Handbook of Qualitative Research; Denzin, N. K., Nincoln, Y. S., Ed.; 1994; pp 236-247.
- Go, M. S. Effect of Cooperative Mentoring for Beginning Science Teachers' Reflective Practice in Their Teaching Performance. Ph.D. Thesis. Pusan National University of Education, Korea, 2010.
- Kwak, Y. S. Analysis of Professional Development in Teaching Practices of Beginning Secondary Science Teachers. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society 2009, 30(3), 354-365. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2009.30.3.354
- Choe, S. H.; Kang, D. H.; Kwak, Y. S.; Jang, K. S. Reserch on Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) in Social Studies, Mathetics, Science and English with Focus on Instructional Consulting for Secondary Beginning Teachers. Korean Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation Research Report RRI 2008-2.
- Hashweh, M. Teacher Accommodative Change. Teaching and Teacher Education 2003, 19, 421-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(03)00026-X
- Carter, K. Teachers' Knowledge and Learning to Teach. In Handbook of Research on Teacher Education; Houston, W. R. Ed.; Macmillan: New York, 1990; pp 709-725.
- Grimmett, P.; Erikson, G. Reflection in Teacher; Teacher College Press; New York, 1990.
- Jay, J. K. Untying the Knots: Examining the Complexities of Reflective Practice. Paper Presented at the Teacher Education, Washington, DC, February 24-27, 1999.
- Park, H. J. Induction Secondary Science Teachers' Conceptions of Teaching Science and their Effort for Professional Development. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2005, 25(3), 421-430.
- Shin, B. S. A Study on the Elementary School Teacher's Experiences of the Beginning Teacher Mentoring. Education Study 2012, 10(2), 232-255.
- Investigation of a Mentor-Teacher Qualification Standard through the Analysis of Interaction in Mentoring Conversations vol.36, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2016.36.6.0877
Supported by : 한국연구재단