- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Electrochemical Combined-Stress Degradation Test and Failure Mechanisms of EPDM Rubber for Automotive Radiator Hoses
자동차 냉각기 호스용 EPDM 고무의 전기화학적 복합노화시험 및 고장메커니즘
- Kwak, Seung Bum (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Choi, Nak Sam (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Shin, Sei Moon (Reliability Assessment Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology)
- Received : 2011.10.11
- Accepted : 2012.10.10
- Published : 2013.01.01
Coolant rubber hoses for automotive radiators can degrade under thermal and mechanical loadings and thus fail owing to the influences of locally formed electricity. In this study, an advanced test method was developed to simulate the failure of a rubber hose. The aging behavior of carbon-black-filled ethylene-propylene diene monomer (EPDM) rubber used as a radiator hose material under a combination of electrochemical stresses and tensile strain was analyzed. The changing behaviors of the current and the resistance as a function of the aging time were analyzed in consideration of the tensile strain, voltage, and aging temperature. Sectioned specimens clarified the failure mechanisms of the aged skin layer under the combined electrochemical stresses.
Electro-Chemical Degradation Test;Mechanical Strain;EPDM Rubber;Coolant;Failure Mechanisms
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 2001, "Coolant Hose for Automotive Radiator Guide Book RS M0004," Korean Agency for Technology and Standards.
- 2001, "Coolant Hose for Automotive Radiator Reliability Standards RS M0004," Korean Agency for Technology and Standards.
- 2000, Test Methods for Evaluating the Electrochemical Tesistance of Coolant System Hoses and Materials, SAE J1684.
- Vroomen, G. and Verhoef, H., 1994, "Electrochemical Degradation of EPDM Cooling Water Hoses," KGK Kautschuk Gummi Kunststoffe, Vol. 48, pp. 749-753.
- Vroomen, G. L. M., Lievens, S. S. and Maes, J. P., 1999, "Influence of Engine Coolant Composition on the Electrochemical Degradation Behavior of EPDM Radiator Hoses," Engine Coolant Testing: Fourth Volume, ASTM STP 1335，pp. 183-195.
- Kwak, S. B., Choi, N. S., Kang, B. S. and Shin, S. M., 2005, "Reliability Analysis and Failure Mechanisms of Coolant Rubber Hose Materials for Automotive Radiator," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 152-162.
- Kwak, S. B., Choi, N. S., Choi, Y. J. and Shin, S. M., 2005, "Nondestructive Characterization of Degradation of EPDM Rubber for Automotive Radiator Hoses," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 368-376.
- Kwak, S. B., Choi, N. S., Shin, S. M. and Shin, W. G., 2007, "Degradation Behavior and Micro-hardness Analysis of a Coolant Rubber Hose for Automotive Radiator," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 915-923. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.9.915
- Kwak, S. B., Choi, N. S. and Kim, J. K., 2009, "Cross-link Density Measurement and Thermal Oxidative Degradation Analysis of a Carbon Black Compounded EPDM Rubber Hose," Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 35-43.
- Kwak, S. B., Seo, B. S. and Choi, N. S., 2011, "An Electro-chemical Combined-stress Degradation Test of Rubber for Automotive Radiator Hoses," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 107-113.
- Maurizio Lucchi, 2000, "New CABOT Carbon Blacks for Improved Electro-chemical Degradation Resistance," IRC 2000 Rubber Conference.
- Mechanical property behavior and aging mechanism of carbon-black-filled EPDM rubber reinforced by carbon nano-tubes subjected to electro-chemical and thermal degradation vol.31, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-0802-0
- Electrochemical degradation tests on a carbon-black-filled ethylene propylene diene monomer rubber under tensile strain pp.2041-2991, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407017694412
- Accelerated Life Prediction of Ethylene-Propylene Diene Monomer Rubber Subjected to Combined Degradation vol.38, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.5.505