- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Conical Path Generation Technique for Ball Bar Measurement Using Simultaneous 5-Axis Motion Control
5 축 동시 구동을 통한 볼바 측정용 원추형 경로 생성 방법
- Lee, Dong-Mok (Institute of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Kyungpook Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jae-Chang (School of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Yang, Seung-Han (School of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2012.06.26
- Accepted : 2012.09.12
- Published : 2013.01.01
This study proposes a path generation technique for simultaneous five-axis driving for ball bar measurement, which is equivalent to cone frustum machining as mentioned in the NAS979 standard. The technique is generalized for a 3D circular path, and it is applicable to all machine tools regardless of their structural configurations. A mathematical machine input model that consists of a five-axis machine tool, ball-bar measurement and conical path information as inputs is presented for easy NC code generation, simulation for various test conditions, and a measurement test. The movement range of rotary axes, which depends on various conditions, is mathematically analyzed based on the proposed conical path model. Moreover, the effect of the movement range on various conditions (apex angle and inclination angle, ball bar tilting acceptance angle, offset position of workpiece ball, etc.) is analyzed.
Conical Path;Ball Bar;NAS 979;5-Axis Machine Tool;Simultaneous Motion
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Bryan, B., 1982, "A Simple Method for Testing Measuring Machines and Machine Tools (part 1: Principles and Applications)," Precision Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 61-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-6359(82)90018-6
- Bryan, B., 1982, "A Simple Method for Testing Measuring Machines and Machine Tools (part 2: Constructions and Details)," Precision Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 125-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-6359(82)90075-7
- ISO 230-4, 1994, Test Code for Machine Tools - Part 4: Circular Tests for Numerically Controlled Machine Tools.
- Lee, K. L., Lee, D. M., Kweon, S. H. and Yang, S. H., 2010, "Geometric Errors Estimation of a Rotary Table Using Double Ball-Bar," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 98-105.
- Lee, D. M., Zhu, Z., Lee, K. L. and Yang, S. H., 2011, "Identification and Measurement of Geometric Errors for a Five-axis Machine Tool with a Tilting Head Using a Double Ball-Bar," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 337-343. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0044-5
- Lee, K. I., Lee, D. M. and Yang, S. H., 2012, "Parametric Modeling and Estimation of Geometric Errors for a Rotary Axis Using Double Ball-Bar," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, DOI 10.1007/s00170-011-3834-0. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-011-3834-0
- NAS 979, 1969, Uniform Cutting Tests - NAS Series. Metal Cutting Equipment Specifications, Aerospace Industries Association of America, pp. 34-37.
- Matano, K. and Ihara, Y., 2007, "Ball Bar Measurement of Five-axis Conical Movement," Laser Metrology and Machine Performance, Vol. VIII, pp. 34-43.
- Ihara, Y., 2011, "Ball Bar Measurement on Machine Tools with Rotary Axes," Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 180-187.
- Hong, C., Ibaraki, S. and Matsubara, A., 2011, "Influence of Position-independent Geometric Errors of Rotary Axes on a Machining Test of Cone Frustum by Five-axis Machine Tools," Precision Engineering, Vol. 35, No 1, pp. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precisioneng.2010.09.004
- Lee, D. M. and Yang, S. H., 2008, "Mathematical Analysis for Geometric Error Synthesis Modeling of Machine Tools," Proceedings of Korean Society of Precision Engineering Conference, pp. 71-72.
- Renishaw, 2010, QC20-W Wireless Ballbar System Description and Specifications.
- Development and Experimental Verification of an Error Compensation Model for a Five-axis Machine Tool using an Error Matrix vol.30, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2013.30.5.507