- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Static and Dynamic Analysis and Optimization Design of 40,000-rpm High-Speed Spindle for Machine Tools
공작기계용 40,000rpm 고속주축의 정·동적 해석과 최적설계에 관한 연구
- Kim, Dong Hyeon (Dept. of Mechanical Design & Manufacturing Engineering, Changwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Choon Man (Dept. of Mechanical Design & Manufacturing Engineering, Changwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Choi, Hyun Jin (Daegu Machinery Institute of Components & Materials)
- Received : 2012.06.13
- Accepted : 2012.08.29
- Published : 2013.01.01
The spindle is the main component in machine tools. The static and dynamic characteristics of the spindle directly affect the machining accuracy of workpieces. The characteristics of the spindle depend on the shaft size, bearing span, built-in motor location, and so on. Therefore, the appropriate selection of these parameters is important to improve the spindle characteristics. This paper presents the analysis of the static and dynamic characteristics and optimization design of a 40,000-rpm high-speed spindle. Statistical analysis for optimization and finite element analysis were performed. This study uses the response surface method to optimize the objective function and design factors. The targets are the natural frequency and displacement. The design factors are the shaft length, shaft diameter, bearing span, and motor location. The optimized design provides better results than the initial model, and these results are expected to improve the static and dynamic characteristics of the spindle.
High Speed Spindle;Finite Element Analysis;Response Surface Method;Interactions Plot
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Maeda, O., Cao, Y. and Altintas Y., 2005, "Expert Spindle Design System," International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol. 45, pp. 537-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2004.08.021
- Lin, C. W. and Tu, J. F., 2007, "Model-Based Design of Motorized Spindle Systems to Improve Dynamic Performance at High Speeds," Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 94-108.
- Abele, E., Altintas, Y. and Brecher, C., 2010, "Machine Tool Spindle Units," CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 59, pp. 781-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2010.05.002
- Jedrzejewski, J., Kowal, Z., Kwasny, W. and Modrzycki, M., 2005, "High-Speed Precise Machine Tools Spindle Units Improving," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 162-163, pp. 615-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.02.149
- Kim, D. H. and Lee, C. M., 2010, "A Study on the Thermal Stabilization Design of a New Concept Compact Machining center," Journal of the KSPE, Vol. 27, No. 12, pp. 119-124.
- Kim, D. H. and Lee, C. M., 2011, "The Static and Dynamic Analysis of a 45,000rpm Spindle for a Machine Tool and Evaluation of Its Stiffness," Journal of the KSPE, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 422-426.
- Hwang, Y. K. and Lee, C. M., 2009, "A Study on the Determination of Shaft Size Using the Extreme Vertices Design," Trans. of the KSMTE, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 214-220.
- Park, S. J., Kim, D. H. and Lee, C. M., 2012, "A Study Determining the Optimal Machining Conditions for a 40,000rpm Ultra High Speed Spindle System," Precision Engineering, Vol. 36, pp. 451-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precisioneng.2012.02.003
- Shin, J. H. and Lee, C. M., "A Study on Spindle Shape Design Using Design of Experiments," Journal of the KSPE, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 120-127.
- Lim, J. S., Chung, W. J. and Lee, C. M., 2009, "Selection of Bearing Position for Improving Static and dynamic stiffness of 40,000rpm SHgh-Speed Spindle," Journal of the KSMPE, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 10-17.
- Melkote, S., Kumar, M., Hashimoto, F. and Lahoti, G., 2009, "Laser Assisted Micro-Milling of Hard-to- Machine Materials," CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 45-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2009.03.053
- Kim, K. S., Kim, J. H., Choi, J. Y. and Lee, C. M., 2011, "A Review on Research and Development of Laser Assisted Turning," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 753-759. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0100-1
- Baek, S. H., Cho, S. S., Shin, S. G. and Joo, W. S., 2006, "Size Effect on the Modulus of Rupture in Automotive Ceramic Molithic Substrate Using Optimization and Response Surface Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 1392-1400. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2006.30.11.1392
- Lim, P. and Yang, G. E., 2007, "Optimization of Finish Cutting Condition of Impeller with Five-Axis Machine by Response Surface Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 924-933. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.9.924
- Derringer, G. C. and Suich, R., 1980, "Simultaneous Optimization of Several Response Variables," Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 12, pp. 214-219 https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.1980.11980968
- A Study on the Analysis of 20,000rpm Heavy-Cutting Spindle for Precision Machining vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.32.1.57