- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Optimal Design of the Curtain Airbag System Using the Response Surface Method
반응표면법을 이용한 커튼 에어백 시스템의 최적설계
- Yun, Yong-Won (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Park, Gyung-Jin (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2012.06.25
- Accepted : 2012.09.24
- Published : 2013.01.01
There is not enough absorption space in the side of a vehicle so injuries to a passenger are higher compared to frontal impact injuries. For the protection of the passenger in the event of a side impact, vehicle regulations and new car assessment program(NCAP) are implemented all over the world. However, passive safety such as absorption technology of vehicle body itself is limited due to the narrow space of the side part. At the present time, it is well known that a side airbag including a curtain airbag is the most effective system to protect the passenger during a side impact. In this study, optimum design of the curtain airbag is carried out to reduce Head Injury Criterion(HIC) of the passenger. Based on crashworthiness simulation, an orthogonal array is selected based on the defined design variables, the response surfaces are generated from the orthogonal array and optimization is conducted with the surfaces.
Curtain Airbag;Head Injury Criteria;Euro Side Impact Dummy;Orthogonal Array;One Way Table;Response Surface Method
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- Patentmap Report, 2003, Vehicle occupant safety system, Korean industrial property office(KIPO), Vol.2.
- KMVSS 102(Side Impact), FMVSS 214(Side Impact), UN Regulation 95(Side Impact).
- Korea New Car Assessment Program(KNCAP), Side Impact Test Protocol.
- Chang, H. J., Song, J. H., Suk, J. S., Lee, S. Y., Kim, G. H. and Kwon, I. S., 2004, "Consideration for the vehicle side impact test results of NCAP," Trans. of the KSAE04-S0166, Vol.2, pp. 1049-1054.
- Lee, D. J., Lim, J. M., Hong, Y. S. and Kim, G. H., 2009, "Consideration for the side impact test results of KNCAP with EuroSID-2," Trans. of the KSAE09-B0181, pp. 1085-1090.
- Lee, K. S., Moon, K. C. and Kim, C. S., 2009, "Development of th Door Mounted Inflatable Curtain," Trans. of the KSAE09-A0370, pp. 2155-2160.
- Kim, J. H., Lee, K. H. and Joo, W. S., 2004, "Optimization of a Driver-Side Airbag Using Kriging and Tabu Search Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, pp. 1035-1040.
- Park, Y. S., Lee, J. Y. and Park, G. J., 1995, "An Airbag Design for the Safety of an Occupant Using the Orthogonal Array," Trans. of the KSAE, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 62-77.
- Hong, E. P., Shin, M. K. and Park, G. J., 2001, "Determination of Crash Pulse to Minimize Injuries of Occupants and Optimization of Crash Components Using Response Surface Method," Trans. of the KSAE, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 116-129.
- Han, S. H. and Jeon, S. K., 1996, "An Optimum Design of Airbag System Based on Crash Simulation," Trans. of the KSAE, Vol. 2, pp. 283-291.
- Park, G. J., 2007, Analytic Methods for Design Practice, Dong-Myung ,Gyunggi, pp.486-489.
- Phadke, M. S., 1989, Quality engineering using robust design, Prentice Hall.
- Park, G. J., Hwang, W. J. and Lee, W. I., "Structural Optimization Post-Process Using Taguchi Method," JSME Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 166-172.
- Park, Y. S., Lee, J. Y., Park, G. J., Wi, I. H. and Yoo, J, S., 1993, "Modeling and Design of an Airbag in a Passenger Car for the Safety of an Occupant," Trans. of the KSAE, pp. 259-265.
- Park, S. H., 2005, Design of Experiments, Min-Young, Seoul, pp. 453-457.
- Yoon, S. J., Choi, D. H., 2010, "Process Integration and Design Optimization Using PIAnO Software," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, pp. 254-255.