- Volume 8 Issue 1
Maximum Torque Per Amp (MTPA) control for induction motor drives seeks to achieve a desired torque with the minimum possible stator current. This is favorable in terms of inverter operation and nearly optimal in terms of motor efficiency. However, rotor resistance variation can cause significant performance degradation. This work demonstrates that existing MTPA controls perform sub-optimally as temperature varies. An adaptive MTPA control strategy is proposed that always achieves optimal performance without exhibiting hunting phenomenon regardless of rotor temperature. The proposed control is experimentally shown to accurately achieve the desired torque.
Induction motor model;Rotor resistance estimator;Thermal effects;Optimal control;Maximum torque per amp (MTPA) control
- P. C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk, S. D. Sudhoff, Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems, IEEE Press, 2002.
- C. Kwon, S. D. Sudhoff, "An Improved Maximum Torque Per Amp Control for Induction Machine Drives," in 20th annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition,, March, 2005, pp. 740-745.
- S. D. Sudhoff, D. C. Aliprantis, B. T. Kuhn, and P. L. Chapman, "An Induction Machine Model for Predicting Inverter - Machine Interaction," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 17, June 2002, pp. 203-210. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.1009469
- O. Wasynczuk, S.D. Sudhoff, K.A. Corzine, J.L. Tichenor, P.C. Krause, I.G. Hansen, and L.M. Taylor, "A Maximum Torque Per Ampere Control Strategy for Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 13, No. 2, June 1998, pp. 163-169. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.678980
- T. A. Najafabadi, F. R. Salmasi, P. Jabehdar-Maralani, "Detection and Isolation of Speed-, DC-Link Voltage-, and Current-Sensor Faults Based on an Adaptive Observer in Induction-Motor," IEEE Transaction on industrial electronics, Vol. 58, No. 5, 2011, pp. 1662- 1672. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2055775
- T. Orlowska-Kowalska, M. Dybkowski, "Stator- Current-Based MRAS Estimator for a Wide Range Speed-Sensorless Induction-Motor," IEEE Transaction on industrial electronics, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2010, pp. 1296-1308. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031134
- K. Lee and F. Blaabjerg, "Sensorless DTC-SVM for induction motor driven by a Matrix Converter using a parameter estimation strategy," IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, Feb 2008, pp. 512- 521. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.911940
- M. O. Sonnaillon, G. Bisheimer, C. De Angelo, G. O. Garcia, "Online Sensorless Induction Motor Temperature," IEEE transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 2, 2010, pp. 273-280. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2042220
- A. B. Proca and A. Keyhani, "Sliding-Mode Flux Observer With Online Rotor Parameter Estimation for Induction Motors," IEEE transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 2, April 2007, pp. 716-723. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.891786
- M. N. Uddin, Sang Woo Nam, "New Online Loss- Minimization-Based Control of an Induction Motor Drive," IEEE transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 23, March 2008, pp. 926-933. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.915029
- C. Kwon, S. D. Sudhoff, "An On-line Rotor Resistance Estimator for Induction Machine Drives," the 2005 International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, May 2005, pp. 391-397.
- P. Famouri and J.J. Cathey, "Loss Minimization Control of an Induction Motor Drive," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 27, No. 1, January/February 1991, pp. 32-37. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.67529
- S. D. Sudhoff, P.L. Chapman, D. C. Aliprantis, and B. T. Kuhn, "Experimental Characterization Procedure for Use with of an Advanced Induction Machine Model," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 18, Mar 2003, pp. 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.808333
- C. Kwon, S. D. Sudhoff, "A Genetic Algorithm Based Induction Machine Characterization Procedure," the 2005 International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, May 2005, pp. 1358-1364.
- B. Mirafzal, G. L. Skibinski, R.M. Tallam, "Cascade neural-Network-Based Fault Classifier for Three- Phase Induction Motor," IEEE transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 5, 2011, pp.1555- 1563. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2053337
- A. Boglietti, A. Cavagnino, M., "Computational Algorithms for Induction Motor Equivalent Circuit Parameter Determination-Part II:Skin Effect and Magnetizing," IEEE transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 9, September 2011, pp. 3734-3740. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2084975
- "Energy Systems Analysis Consortium (ESAC) Genetic Optimization System Engineering Tool (GOSET) Ver 1.02," School of Electrical and Computer Engr., Purdue Univ., West Lafayette, IN, 47907, 2003.
- J. Kim, J. Choi, and S. Sul, "Novel Rotor Flux Observer Using Observer Characteristic Function in Complex Vector Space for Field Oriented Induction Motor Drives," IEEE transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 38, September/October 2002, pp. 1334-1443. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.802994
- P. L. Jansen and R. D. Lorenz, "A Physically Insightful Approach to the Design and Accuracy Assessment of Flux Observer for Field Oriented Induction Machine Drives," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 30, No. 1, January/February 1994, pp. 101-110. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.273627
- Study on Optimal Condition of Adaptive Maximum Torque Per Amp Controlled Induction Motor Drives vol.9, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.231
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)