- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effective Morphological Layer Segmentation Based on Edge Information for Screen Image Coding
스크린 이미지 부호화를 위한 에지 정보 기반의 효과적인 형태학적 레이어 분할
- Received : 2013.09.05
- Accepted : 2013.10.22
- Published : 2013.12.28
An image coding based on MRC model, a kind of multi-layer image model, first segments a screen image into foreground, mask, and background layers, and then compresses each layer using a codec that is suitable to the layer. The mask layer defines the position of foreground regions such as textual and graphical contents. The colour signal of the foreground (background) region is saved in the foreground (background) layer. The mask layer which contains the segmentation result of foreground and background regions is of importance since its accuracy directly affects the overall coding performance of the codec. This paper proposes a new layer segmentation algorithm for the MRC based image coding. The proposed method extracts text pixels from the background using morphological top hat filtering. The application of white or black top hat transformation to local blocks is controlled by the information of relative brightness of text compared to the background. In the proposed method, the boundary information of text that is extracted from the edge map of the block is used for the robust decision on the relative brightness of text. Simulation results show that the proposed method is superior to the conventional methods.
Screen Image Coding;MRC Model;Morphological Layer Segmentation
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- ITU-T Recommendation T.44 Mixed Raster Content (MRC), T.44, International Telecommunication Union, 1999.
- N. Otsu, "A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms," IEEE Trans. Syst., Man Cybern., Vol.9, No.1, pp.62-66, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.1979.4310076
- W. Niblack, An Introduction to Digital Image Processing, Strandberg Publishing Company Bikeroed, 1985.
- J. Sauvola and M. Pietaksinen, "Adaptive document image binarization," Pattern Recognit, Vol.33, No.2, pp.236-335, 2000.
- Y. Chen and B. Wu, "A multi-plane approach for text segmentation of complex document images," Pattern Recognit, Vol.42, No.7, pp.1419-1444, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2008.10.032
- Y. Liu and S. Srihari, "Document image binarization based on texture features," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol.19, No.5, pp.540-544, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.589217
- C. Jung and Q. Liu, "A new approach for text segmentation using a stroke filter," Signal Process, Vol.88, No.7, pp.1907-1916, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2008.02.002
- 박종천, "적응적 문자-에지 맵을 이용한 다양한 기울기와 크기를 갖는 텍스트 영역 검출", 한국콘텐츠학회 2007 춘계종합학술대회논문집, 제5권, 제1호, pp.5-9, 2007.
- 원종길, "레이블링 기법과 밝기값 변화에 기반한 컬러영상의 문자영역 추출 방법", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제12호, pp.511-521, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.511
- X. Zhang, F. Sun, and L. Gu, "A Combined Algorithm for Video Text Extraction," 2010 Seventh International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, pp.2294-2298, 2010.
- W. Kim and C. Kim, "A New Approach for Overlay Text Detection and Extraction From Complex Video Scene," IEEE Trans. Image Process, Vol.18, No.2, pp.401-411, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2008.2008225
- 장인영, "형태학과 문자의 모양을 이용한 뉴스 비디오에서의 자동 문자 추출", 정보과학회논문지, 컴퓨팅의 실제, 제8권, 제4호, pp.479-488, 2002.
- S. Ebenezer Juliet, V. Sadasivam, and D. Jemi Florinabel, "Effective layer-based segmentation of compound images using morphology," Journal of Real-Time Image Processing, pp.1-16, 2011.
- J. Canny, "A Computational Approach to Edge Detection," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.PAMI-8, No.6, pp.679-698, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1986.4767851
- Efficient Signal Filling Method Using Watershed Algorithm for MRC-based Image Compression vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.02.021