- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Creative Evolution of Digital Leisure Culture, Serious Games
디지털 레저 문화의 창의적 진화, 시리어스 게임
- Received : 2013.08.27
- Accepted : 2013.11.02
- Published : 2013.12.28
At the dawn of a new digital era, people's way of spending their leisure time and leisure activity preferences changed. Accordingly, Leisure culture is in the midst of change, such as watching movie and performance, enjoy golf etc. Due to its nature as an interactive medium, the digital game offers uniquely different approaches to the leisure activity. Leisure as state of mind is much more subjective in that it considers the individual's perception of an activity. In that regard, we used the digital games for leisure activity. Digital games are powerful environments for fun, including functional nature. For that reason digital leisure culture keep creative evolving. This paper proposes a serious games as a branch of digital games that meaningful digital leisure, and introduced the concept of serious games for a serious purpose other than pure entertainment. Many recent studies have identified the benefits of using serious games in a variety of purposes. Games technology is fun and entertaining for people of all ages. Ultimately, serious games become meaningful and valuable performance tools as the Digital Leisure Culture.
Digital Leisure Culture;Digital Games;Serious Games;Meaningful and Valuable Digital Activity
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- e스포츠 기본이념과 사회문화적 가치조명 보고서, 한국콘텐츠진흥원, 2010(1!).
- J. H. Murray, Hamlet on the holodeck: The future of narrative in cyberspace, Cambridge: MIT Press, 1997.
- Amy Hurd, Denise Anderson, The Park and Recreation Professional's Handbook, ISBN-13: 9780736082594, 2011.
- 이문재, 황선환, 지상, 수상, 항공 레저스포츠 관광 활동 참여정도와 몰입의 관계, 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제2호, pp.488-497, 2012.
- R. Barthes, "Introduction to the Structuralist Analysis of Narratives."(1966) Image -Music - Text. Ed. and trans. Stephen Heath. New York: Hill and Wang, pp.79-124, 1977.
- Don Tapscott, Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World, McGrawHill, 2008.
- M. Zuckerman, E. A. Kolin, L. Price, and I. Zoob, "Development of a sensation-seeking scale," Journal of Consulting Psychology, Vol.28, No.6, pp.477-482, 1964. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0040995
- M. Zyda, "From visual simulation to virtual reality to games, Computer," Vol.38, No.9, pp.25-32, 2005.
- D. Michael and S. Chen, Serious games: Games that educate, train, and inform. Boston, MA.: Thomson Course Technology, 2006.
- Tarja Susi, Mikael Johannesson, Per Backlund, Serious Games - An Overview, Technical Report HS- IKI -TR-07-001, School of Humanities and Informatics University of Skovde, Sweden, 2007.
- B. Sawyer, The "Serious Games" landscape. Presented at the Instructional & Research Technology Symposium for Arts," Humanities and Social Sciences, Camden, 2007.
- Houda Mouaheb, Ahmed Fahli, Mohammed Moussetad, Said Eljamali, The Serious Game: What Educational Benefits?, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.46, pp.5502-5508, 2012.
- Tim Marsh, Serious games continuum: Between games for purpose and experiential environments for purpose, Entertainment Computing, pp.61-68, 2011.
- Raph Koster, A Theory of Fun for Game Design, Paraglyph Press; 1 edition, 2004.
- J. Huizinga, Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in Culture, Beacon Press, June, 1971.
- R. Caillois, Man, Play and Games. USA, Free Press of Glencoe, 1961.
- Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams, Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on game design, Indianapolis, Ind., 2003.
- K. Salen and E. Zimmerman, Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals, The MIT Press, 2003.
- Christoph Kilmmt, "Serious Games and Social Change. Why They (Should) Work," Serious Games: Mechanisms and Effects By Ute Ritterfeld et al., Taylor & Francis, pp.248-270, 2009.
- L. Plowman, "Designing interactive media for schools: A review based on contextual observation," Information Design Journal, Vol.8, No.3, pp.258-266, 1996.
- K. M. Lee, N. K. Park, and S. A. Jin, narrative and interactivity in computer games(17): Playing video games : motives, responses, and consequences, Peter Vorderer, Jennings Bryant, Mahwah, N.J., Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2006.
- K. Oatley, Emotions and the story worlds of fiction. Narrative Impact: Social and Cognitive Foundations, M. C. Green, J. J. Strange, and T. C. Brock (eds), pp.39-69. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2002.
- D. A. Lieberman, What can we learn from playing interactive games? Chapter in P. Vorderer & J. Bryant (Eds.), Playing video games: Motives, responses, and consequences. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp.379-397, 2006.
- I. Bogost, Persuasive Games, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2007.
- Wei Peng and Ming Liu, An Overview of Using Electronic, Games for Health Purposes. IGI Global, pp.388-401, 2009.
- A. Mitchell and C. Savill-Smith, "The use of computer and video games for learning. A Review of the literature," London: Learning and Skills Development Agency, 2004.
- ELSPA, Unlimited learning: Computer and video games in the learning landscape. Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association, 2006.
- 정의준, 이혜림, 기능성 게임의 유형별 범주화와 개념 설정에 대한 연구: 목적성 및 적용이론을 중심으", 한국컴퓨터게임학회, 제26권, 제3호, pp.61-69, 2013.
- 이혜림, 정의준, 보건 의료용 기능성 게임의 효과적 개발 방향 연구, 한국게임학회, 제13권, 제4호, pp.73-90, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2013.13.4.73
- J. Alvarez, O. Rampnoux, J. P. Jessel, and G. Methel, Serious Game: just a question of posture?, In Artificial and Ambient Intelligence convention, Artificial Societies for Ambient Intelligence, AISB (ASAMi) pp.420-426, UK, University of Newcastle, 2007.
- J. Alvarez and L. Michaud, Serious Games: Advergaming, edugaming, training and more, France, IDATE, 2008.
- Damien Djaouti, Julian Alvarez, and Jean-Pierre Jessel, Classifying Serious Games: the G/P/S model, Handbook of Research on Improving Learning and Motivation through Educational Games: Multidisciplinary Approaches, 2011.
- T. Fullerton, T. Furmanski, and K. ValaNejad, Journey of discovery: the night journey, in: ACM SIGGRAPH Video Game Symposium, ACM Press, San Diego, USA, 2007.
- T. Baranowski, J. Baranowski, K. W. Cullen, T. Marsh, N. Islam, and I. Zakeri, "Squire's quest! Dietary outcome evaluation of a multimedia game," American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol.24, pp.52-61, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(02)00570-6
- S. Barab, T. Dodge, H. Tuzun, K. Job-Sluder, C. Jackson, A. Arici, L. Job-Sluder, R. Jr Carteaux, J. Gilbertson, and C. Heiselt, The Quest Atlantis Project: A socially-responsive play space for learning, In B. E. Shelton & D. Wiley (Eds.), The Educational Design and Use of Simulation Computer Games; Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers, 2007.
- FAS; Federation of American Scientists, Harnessing the power of video games for learning, Summit on educational game, 2006.
- K. Squire and C. Steinkuehler, "Meet the gamers," Library Journal, Vol.130, No.7, pp.38-42, 2005.
- Luis Radford, Signs and meanings in students' emergent algebraic thinking: A semiotic analysis. Educational Studies in Mathematics Vol.42, No.3, 2000.
- J. Guy, P. Astier, S. Nobili, N. Regnault, and R. Pain, SALT: a spectral adaptive light curve template for type Ia supernovae, A&A Vol.443, No.3, 2005.
- R. De Lisi and J. L. Wolford, "Improving children's mental rotation accuracy with computer game playing," The Journal of Genetic Psychology, Vol.163, pp.272-282, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221320209598683
- 이동민, 유승호, 정의준, 사회변화를 위한 기능성 게임의 메커니즘, 한국게임학회, 제13권, 제2호, pp.81-98, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2013.13.2.81
- Holm Friebe, Sascha Lobo, Wir nennen es arbeit: 디지털 보헤미안, 두행숙 역, 프로네시스, 2011.
- A Study on the Serious Games Design Framework via Potential Outcomes - Focused on Construal Level Interventions vol.10, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2014.10.4.053
- A Preliminary Study of Serious Game Effect Model based on Construal-Level Theory vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2014.14.4.105