- Volume 13 Issue 12
A great many researches on affordance in HCI(Human Computer Interaction), product design, and cognitive science has been done investigated currently. In addition, the concept of affordances has been applied to games in the incremental trying to understand the relationship between gamers and systems. However, there are some problems to apply them to games because many researchers take ease to use, consistency, and usefulness to handle mainly in HCI rather than the property of the game into account. Consequently, the objective of the study is to investigate affordances in consideration of the features of the game, such as fantasy, variety, and fun based on the concept of them suggested in ecological psychology. A protocol analysis was conducted through the think-aloud method on the full gameplay session to platform action game as the basic genre of many game. The result of this research reveals that a static and movable affordances as a fixed state are discovered and transforming continously, appearing, and disappearing affordances as variable states are uncovered, and physical and cognitive affordances are observed. The result of this research is expected to propose the essential design guideline on the methodology of game design.
Affordance;Gameplay;Protocol Analysis;Platform Action Game
Supported by : 동서대학교
- D. Pinchbeck, "An affordance based model for gameplay," Proceedings of DiGRA, 2009.
- 강윤화, 메타분석을 이용한 미디어 어포던스 고찰, 이화여자대학교 석사학위청구논문, 2005.
- E. J. Gibson and A. D. Pick, An Ecological Approach to Perceptual Learning and Development, Oxford University Press, New York, 2000.
- J. Linderoth and U. Bennerstedt, "This is not a Door: an Ecological approach to Computer Games," Proceedings of DiGRA, 2007.
- W. W. Gaver, "Technology affordance," Proceedings of CHI, 1991.
- H. R. Hartson, "Cognitive, Physical, Sensory, and Functional Affordances in Interaction Design," Behaviour & Information technology, Vol.22, No.5, pp.315-338, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290310001592587
- 이건표, "해답은 사용자로부터 나온다", 월간디자인, Vol.218, 1996-1997.
- 이정민, 홍의택, "현대 시간성 디자인의 인간중심 디자인적 측면: 어포던스에 의거한 행태지원 측면 분석을 중심으로", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.7, No.4, pp.91-102, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2007.7.4.091
- 김희종, 류시천, "멀티미디어 환경에서의 어포던스에 관한 연구", 스마트미디어저널, Vol.1, No.1, pp.72-79. 2012.
- R. J. Pagulayan, K. Keeker, D. Wixon, R. L. Romero, and T. Fuller, "User-centered Design in Games," in the Human-Computer Interaction Handbook, L. Erlbaum Associates Inc. Hillsdale, NJ, USA, pp.883-906, 2003.
- M. A. Federoff, Heuristics and Usability Guidelines for the Creation and Evaluation of Fun in Video Games, the degree Master of Science, Indiana University, 2002.
- J. Linderoth, "Beyond the digital divide : An ecological approach to gameplay," Transactions of the Digital Games Research Association, Vol.1, No.1, 2013.