- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Development of Short Form of the Korean Version- the Boston Naming Test (K-BNT-15) Based on Item Response Theory
문항반응이론을 적용한 한국판 보스톤 이름대기 검사 단축형(K-BNT-15) 개발
- Received : 2013.08.19
- Accepted : 2013.11.26
- Published : 2013.12.28
Impaired naming difficulty is common in normal elderly as well as in patients with neurological impairment. The 60-item Korean version-Boston Naming Test(K-BNT) is one of the most commonly used test for measuring confrontational naming ability. However, age-related cognitive decline may make the elderly difficult concentrating during the 60-item test, therefore, item reduction of the K-BNT would improve test validity and reliability. Thus, the purpose of this study was to develop a short form of the K-BNT based on Item Response Theory(IRT). Considering item-fit index, sex factor, and item difficulty through Rasch analysis, the 15-item K-BNT(i.e., K-BNT-15) was developed. Via administration of the K-BNT-15, we observed age-related decline in naming ability and significantly different performance between the normal elderly and patients with mild cognitive impairment. This study demonstrates the utility of IRT for developing a short-form language evaluation tool. The K-BNT-15 can be effective as a language screening tool to differentiate between normal aging and pathological diseases.
Item Response Theory;Rasch analysis;Korean version-Boston Naming Test;Item Reduction
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- O. Pedraza, B. C. Sachs, T. J. Ferman, B. K. Rush, and J. A. Lucas, "Difficulty and discrimination parameters of Boston Naming Test Items in a consecutive clinical series," Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, Vol.26, No.5, pp.434-444, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1093/arclin/acr042
- R. F. Zec, S. Markwell, N. R. Burkett, and G. Pyo, "Effects of age, education and gender on the Boston Naming Test in a large elderly normative sample," Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, Vol.18, No.7, pp.697-697, 2003.
- L. Gordon and N. Kindred, "Word retrieval in ageing: An exploration of the task constraint hypothesis," Aphasiology, Vol.25, No.6, pp.774-788, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/02687038.2010.539699
- M. Albert, H. S. Heller, and W. Milberg, "Changes in naming ability with age," Psychology and aging, Vol.3, No.2, pp.173-178, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79220.127.116.11
- H. Tsang and T. M. C. Lee, "The effect of ageing on confrontation naming ability," Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, Vol.18, No.1, pp.81-89, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/arclin/18.1.81
- C. Papagno and E. Capitani, "Slowly progressive aphasia: A four-year follow-up study," Neuropsychologia, Vol.39, pp.678-686, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0028-3932(01)00007-0
- K. King, M. Hough, P. Vos, M. Walker, and G. Givens, "Word retrieval following mild TBI: Implications for categorical deficits," Aphasiology, Vol.20, No.2, pp.233-245, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/02687030500473155
- C. Papagno and S. Muggia, "Naming people ignoring semantics in a patient with left frontal damage," Cortex, Vol.35, pp.537-548, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-9452(08)70817-7
- A. E. Lansing, R. J. Ivnik, C. M. Cullum, and C. Randolph, "An empirically derived short form of the Boston naming test," Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, Vol.14, No.6, pp.481-487, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1093/arclin/14.6.481
- J. Saxton, G. Ratchliff, C. A. Munro, C. E. Coffey, J. T. Becker, L. Fried, and L. Kuller, "Normative data on the Boston Naming Test and two equivalent 30-item short forms," The Clinical Neuropsychologist, Vol.14, pp.526-534, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1076/clin.14.4.526.7204
- W. J. Mack, D. M. Freed, B. W. Williams, and V. W. Henderson, "Boston Naming Test: Shortened versions for use in Alzheimer's disease," Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, Vol.47, pp.154-158, 1992.
- G. T. Smith, D. M. McCarthy, and K. G. Anderson, "On the sins of short-form development," Psychological Assessment, Vol.12, pp.102-111, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-3518.104.22.168
- R. E. Graves, S. C. Bezeau, J. Fogarty, and R. Blair, "Boston Naming Test short form: A comparison of previous forms with new Item Response Theory based forms," Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, Vol.26, No.7, pp.891-902, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/13803390490510716
- B. Thompson, "Stepwise regression and stepwise discriminant analysis need not apply here: A guidelines editorial," Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.55, pp.525-534, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164495055004001
- 김향희, 나덕렬, 한국판 보스톤 이름대기 검사 (K-BNT), 서울: 학지사, 1997.
- 강연욱, 김향희, 나덕렬, "치매진단을 위한 단축형 Korean-Boston Naming Test(S-K-BNT)의 개발", 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제18권, 제2호, pp.125-138, 1999.
- W. Hula, N. J. Donovan, D. L. Kendall, and L. J. Gonzalez-Rothi, "Item response theory analysis of the Western Aphasia Battery," Aphasiology, Vol.24, No.11, pp.1326-1341, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/02687030903422502
- G. Rasch, Probabilistic models for some intelligence and attainment tests, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1980. [Original work published in 1960].
- C. M. Del Toro, L. P. Bislick, M. Come시, C. Velozo, S. Romero, L. J. G. Rothi, and D. L. Kendall, "Development of a short form of the Boston Naming Test for individuals with aphasia," Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol.54, pp.1089-1100, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2010/09-0119)
- 지은림, 채선희, Rasch모형의 이론과 실제, 파주시: 교육과학사, 2000.
- 강연욱. "K-MMSE의 노인 규준 연구", 한국심리학회지(일반), 제25권, 제2호, pp.1-12, 2006.
- J. M. Linacre, WINSTEPS version 3.68.2., 2009.
- 채선희, 지은림, 백순근, 설현수, 문항반응이론의 이론과 실제, 고양시: 도서출판 서현사, 2003.
- R. C. Peterson, R. Doody, A. Kurz, R. C. Morris, P. V. Rabins, K. Ritchie, M. Rossor, L. Thal, and B. Winblad, "Current concepts in mild cognitive impairment, Vol.58, No.12, pp.1985-1992, 2001.
- R. C. Peterson, "Mild Cognitive Impairment as a diagnostic entity," Journal of Internal Medicine, Vol.265, No.3, pp.183-194, 2004.
- T. G. Bond and C. M. Fox, Applying the Rasch model: Fundamental measurement in the human science (2nd ed.), NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publisher London, 2007.
- 김성해, 박재현, "항암화학요법을 받는 암환자 간호핵심역량 측정도구 개발 및 타당화", 대한간호학회지, 제42권, 제5호, pp.632-643, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.5.632
- Characteristics of Confrontation Naming Ability according to Word Frequency in Patients with Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Preliminary Study vol.22, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12963/csd.17391
- Comparison of Error Types and Qualitative Analysis of Correct Responses in a Confrontation Naming Test for Subtypes of Mild Cognitive Impairment vol.22, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12963/csd.17421
- Diagnostic Value of Time-Constrained Naming Test in Mild Cognitive Impairment vol.44, pp.3-4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1159/000479149
- A Validation Study of Korean Version of Personality Beliefs Questionnaire-Short Form (PBQ-SF) vol.55, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2016.55.2.103
- Global Coherence Analysis of Discourse in Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment and Associated Cognitive Function vol.23, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12963/csd.18561