- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Microhardness on Premary Teeth following Fluoride Toothpaste for Children
어린이 불소치약에 따른 유치의 미세경도에 대한 효과
- Received : 2013.08.20
- Accepted : 2013.10.16
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study was to determine the efficacy in the remineralization on premary teeth following the application of toothpaste with and without sodium fluoride. All tooth were checked using microhardness tester and the calcium (Ca) and phosphorous (P) concentration by electron probe microanalyzer (EPMA) analysis for the 4 weeks. The collected data was analysed using the statistical software program SPSS, 20.0. The applied enamel of premary teeth with 0.243% fluoridated toothpaste resulted in significant differences in the microhardness values (p>0.05). The Ca and P concentrations of applied premary teeth with fluoridated toothpaste were also significant difference in norm wt% (p>0.05). As a results, a increasing the surface microhardness of the premary teeth and providing a remineralizing effect by increased Ca and P concentrations.
Sodium fluoride;Microhardness;Fluoridated toothpaste;remineralization
- H. Yamazaki, H. C. Margolis, "Enhanced enamel remineralization under acidic conditions in vitro," J Dent Res, Vol.87, No.6, pp.569-574, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910808700612
- M. J. Kim, S. S. Kim, and S. S. Kim, Dental Morphology, Seoul:Shinkwangpub, pp.1-199, 2001.
- T. M. Marthaler, "The value in caries prevention of other methods of increasing fluoride ingestion, apart from fluoridated water," Int Dent J, Vol.17, No.3, pp.606-618, 1967.
- J. W. Kim, J. A. Lee, and K. Y. Lee, "Enamel strengthening effect of the dental fluoride compound," J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol.10, No.4, pp.757-764, 2010.
- S. G. Ciancio, "Agents for the management ofplaque and gingivitis," J Dent Res, Vol.71, No.7, pp.1450-1454, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345920710071701
- R. D. Holt and J. J. Murray, "Developments in fluoride toothpaste: an overview," Community Dent Health, Vol.14, No.1, pp.4-10, 1997.
- J. A. Hargreaves, G. S. Ingram, and B. J. Wagg, "A gravimetric study of the ingestion of toothpaste by children," Caries Res, Vol.6, No.3, pp.237-243, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1159/000259804
- E. D. Beltran and S. M. Szpunar, "Fluoride in toothpastes for children: Suggestions for change," Pediatr Dent, Vol.10, No.3, pp.185-188, 1988.
- E. M. Bentley, R. P. Ellwood, and R. M. Davies, "Fluoride ingestion from toothpaste by young children," Br Dent J, Vol.186, No.9, pp.460-462, 1999.
- Y. Lijima, O. Takagi, and J. Ruben, "In vitro remineralization of in vivo and in vitro formed enamel lesions," Caries Res, Vol.33, pp.206-213, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1159/000016518
- R. S. Levine, "Remineralization of human carious dentine in vitro," Arch Oral Biol, Vol.17, No.6, pp.1005-1008, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(72)90124-0
- T. Koulourides and B. Cameron, "Enamel remineralization as a factor in the pathogenesis of dental caries," J Oral Pathol., Vol.9, No.5, pp.255-269, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.1980.tb00383.x
- J. Hicks, F. Garcia-Godoy, and C. Flaitz, "Biological factors in dental caries enamel structure and the caries process in the dynamic process of demineralization and remineralization (part 2)," J Clin Pediatr Dent, Vol.28, pp.119-124, 2004.
- M. F. Johnson, "Comparative efficacy of NaF and SMFP dentifrices in caries prevention: a meta-analytic overview," Caries Res, Vol.27, pp.328-336, 1993.. https://doi.org/10.1159/000261562
- M. Eisenburger, M. Addy, J. A. Hughes, and R. P. Shellis, "Effect of time on the remineralization of enamel by synthetic saliva after citric acid erosion," Caries Res, Vol.35, pp.2011-2215, 2001.
- J. B. Ammari, Z. H. Baqain, and P. F. Ashley, "Effects of programs for prevention of early childhood caries," A systematic review, Med Princ Pract 2007, Vol.16, No.6, pp.437-42 https://doi.org/10.1159/000107748
- World Health Organization, Fluorides and oral health, Technical Report Series No.846, Geneva: WHO, 1994.
- H. Y. Kim, S. H. Nam, and M. H. Jeong, "Influence of Microhardness and Mineral Content on Fluoride Materials Containing Low Concentration with Sodium Fluoride," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.13, No.4, pp.312-319, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.312
- F. R. von der Fehr, "A study of carious lesions produced in vivo in unabraded, abraded, exposed, and F-treated human enamel surfaces, with emphasis on the x-ray dense outer layer," Arch Oral Biol, Vol.12, No.7, pp.797-814, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(67)90103-3
- T. M. Marthaler, "The value in caries prevention of other methods of increasing fluoride ingestion," apart from fluoridated water, Int Dent J, Vol.17, No.3, pp.606-618, 1967.
- S. Takagi, H. Liao, L. C. Chow, "Effect of a low-fluoride-content, two-component rinse on fluoride uptake and on de-and remineralization of enamel lesions: an in vitro study," Caries Res, Vol.35, pp.223-228, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1159/000047460