- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation on Dynamic Characteristics of Offshore Seaweed Culture Facility
외해 해조류 양식시설의 동적특성 해석
- Received : 2013.04.15
- Accepted : 2013.12.18
- Published : 2013.12.31
Eco-friendly and sustainable seaweed biomass energy have been under the spotlight as the future of renewable energy. However, seaweed culture is primarily conducted inshore, with the research on offshore culture still in an early stage. For massive biomass production, a systematic engineering approach is required to devise offshore seaweed culture facilities rather than the conventional empirical ones. To establish the fundamental behavior of seaweed culture facilities, the dynamic characteristics of a seaweed culture facility were analyzed in the study. For this purpose, numerical analyses of the seaweed culture facility (a frame type) were carried out by using the hydrodynamic simulation program ANSYS-AQWA. For the analysis, environmental loads were considered using the wave spectra and co-linear current; mooring variables were selected as parameters; and time domain analyses were carried out to acquire the time series responses and eventually the dynamic characteristics. Finally, the mooring performance was evaluated. It was found that the motion could be controlled by adjusting the buoyancy and mooring slope.
Seaweed;Hydrodynamic analysis;Time domain analysis;Compliant buoy mooring system
- ANSYS, 2010. AQWA User's Manual Version 13. ANSYS Inc, Southpointe, USA.
- Bela, H.B., Cornelia, M.B., 2004. The Offshore-ring: A New System Design for the Open Ocean Aquaculture of Macroalgae. Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Helgoland, Germany.
- Cummins, W.E., 1962, The Impulse Response Function and Ship Motions. ISST, Hamburg, Germany.
- Fredriksson, D.W., Swift, M.R., Eroshkin, O., Tsukrov, I., Irish, J.D.,, Celikkol, B., 2005. Moored Fish Cage Dynamics in Waves and Currents, IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 30(1), 28-36. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2004.841412
- Goda, Y., 2000. Random Seas and the Design of Maritime Structures. World Scientific Publishing Company, New Jersey.
- Jordan, M.A., Beltran-Aguedo, R., 2004. Nonlinear Identification of Mooring Lines in Dynamic Operation of Floating Structures, Ocean Engineering, 31, 455-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(03)00122-7
- Journee, J.M.J., Massie W.W., 2001. Offshore Hydromechanics, First Edition. Delft University of Technology.
- Kim, J.H., Kim, H.J., Hong, S., 2001. Experiment and Analysis of Mooring System for Floating Fish Cage. Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 34(6), 661-665.
- Kim, J,H., Hong, S.Y., Hong. S.W. and Hong, S., 2002., An Experimental Study on Compliant Buoy Mooring System in Shallow Water. Proceeding of 2002 Spring Conference Korean Society for Ocean Engineers, 155-160.
- KIOST, 2003. Korea-India Joint Research for Ocean Renewable Energy Development, Korea Institute of Ocean Sciences and Technology.
- KIOST, 2005. Deep Water Design Wave Prediction II, Korea Institute of Ocean Sciences and Technology.
- KMI, 2009. Strategies to Industrialize the Algae Bio-business and Policy Direction, Korea Maritime Institute.
- Lien, E., Oltedal, G., Aarsnes, J.V., 1989. Application of Computer Simulation Program in Design of Fish Farming Plants. Norwegian Marine Technology Research Institute, Trondheim, Norway.
- Lien, E., Rudi, H., Slaattelid, O.H., Kolberg, D., 1996. Flexible Mooring with Multiple Buoys. Open Ocean Aquaculture Conference, Polk, M Ltd., Portland, 93-105.
- Nam, B.W., Kim, Y., Yang, K.K., Hong, S.Y.,, Sung, H.G., 2012. Numerical Study on Wave-induced Motion of Offshore Structures using Cartesian-grid based Flow Simulation Method, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 26(6), 7-13. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2012.26.6.007
- Newman, J.N., 1997. Marine Hydrodynamics. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Shin, S.H., Hong, K., 2005. Experimental Study on Wave Overtopping Rate of Wave Overtopping Control Structure for Wave Energy Conversion, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 19(6), 8-15.
- TSNE, 2011. ANSYS AQWA Training (Basic course). Taesung SNE.
Supported by : 부경대학교