- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study of Dynamic Characteristics of West Coast Saemangeum Sand by Torsional Shear Test
비틂전단시험에 의한 서해안 새만금 모래의 동적특성 연구
Jeon, Hong-Woo;Son, Su-Won;Kim, Jin Man
- Received : 2013.09.03
- Accepted : 2013.12.18
- Published : 2013.12.31
The dynamic characteristics of west coast sand were investigated in order to evaluate the design properties of the offshore wind turbine foundations to be constructed in the West Sea. Torsional shear tests were performed at different confining pressures and densities on specimens constituted by the dry fluviation method. The strain-dependent shear modulus and damping curves were obtained, together with modulus degradation curves. The results show that the confining pressure is more influential on the dynamic characteristics of the sand than the density. It was also found that the dynamic curves from this study were similar to those proposed by others. The modulus degradation ratio
Torsional shear test;Cyclic loading;Dynamic deformation characteristics;West coast sand
- Bishop, A.W., Henkel, D.J., 1962. The Measurement of Soil Properties in the Triaxial Test (Second edition). Edward Arnold, London.
- Choo, Y.W., 1997. Study on Normalized Shear Modulus Reduction Curves on Cohesionless Soils Using Resonant Column/Torsional Shear Tests. Master's Thesis, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
- Choo, Y.W., Kim, D.S., 2005. Dynamic Deformation Characterisitics of Sands Under Various Drainage Conditions. Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, 21(3), 27-42.
- Drnevich, V.P., Richart, F.E., Jr., 1970. Dynamic Prestraining of Dry Sand. Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, ASCE, 96(SM2), 453-469.
- Hardin, B.O., Drnevich, V.P., 1972a. Shear Modulus and Damping in Soils: Measurement and Parameter Effects. Journalof SMF Div., ASCE, 98(SM6), June, 603-624.
- Hardin, B.O., Drnevich, V.P., 1972b. Shear Modulus and Damping in Soils: Design Equations and Curves. Journal of SMF Div., ASCE, 98(SM7) June, 667-692.
- Kang, M.W., 2012. A Study on Dynamic Shear Properties of According to Water Content Changes of Artificial Clay Determined by Resonant Column Test. Master's Thesis, Pusan National University.
- Kim, D.M., 2004. Characteristics of Undrained Shear Behavior for Nak-Dong River Sand Due to Aging Effect. Ph.D Thesis. Kyungpook National University.
- Kim, D.S., 1991, Deformational Characteristics of Soils at Small to Intermediate Strain from Cyclic Tests. Ph. D. Dissertation. The University of Texas at Austin.
- Anderson, D.G., 1974. Dynamic Modulus of Cohesive Soils. Thesis Presented to the University of Michigan, in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
- Kim, D.S.. 1995. Deformational Characteristics of Dry Sand Using Resonant Column / Torsional Shear Testing Equipment. Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, 11(1), 101-112.
- Kim, D.S., Choo, Y.W.. 2001. Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Cohesionless Soils in Korea Using Resonant Column Tests. Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, 17(5), 115-128.
- Kim, D.S., Stokoe, II, K.H., 1994. Torsional Motion Monitoring System for Small-strain (10-6 to 10-3%) Soil Testing Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, 17(1), 17-26. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ10068J
- Kim, J.M., Park, Y.H., Lim, S.D., 2009. Dynamic Shear Properties of Nak-Dong River Sand Determined by Resonant Column/Torsional Shear Test. Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, 25(11), 5-15.
- Kweon, G.C., 2000. Constitutive Models for Resilient Modulus of Subgrade Soils in Korea. Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 30(3), 301-310.
- Li, S. and Huang, M., 2010. Undrained Long-Term Cyclic Degradation Characteristics of Offshore Soft Clay. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, International Conference, GeoShanghai, 263-271.
- Park, Y.H., 2009. A Study on Dynamic Shear Properties of Nak-Dong River Sand Determined by Resonant Column and Totional Shear Tests. Master's Thesis, Pusan National University.
- Ryu, J.H., Kim, S.J., Park, Y.H., Kim, J.M., 2008. Dynamicbehavior of Nak-Dong River Sand. Proceeding of the International Symposium on Lowland Technology, Busan, Korea, 493-499.
- Seed, H.B., Idriss, I.M., 1970. Soil Moduli and Damping Factors for Dynamic Response Analysis, Report No. UCB/EERC-70/10, University of California, Berkeley.
- Vucetic, M., Dobry, R., 1991. Effect of Soil Plasticity on Cyclic Response. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, 117(1), 89-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1991)117:1(89)
- Zhou, J., Gong, X, 2001. Strain Degradation of Saturated Clay under Cyclic Loading. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 38(1), 208-212. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-062
Supported by : 국토해양부