- Volume 42 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Fermentation Characteristics and Increased Functionality of Doenjang Prepared with Bamboo Salt
죽염 된장의 발효 특성 및 기능성 증진 효과
- Jeong, Min-Woo (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Jeong, Ji-Kang (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Sin-Jeong (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Kun-Young (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2013.06.07
- Accepted : 2013.11.22
- Published : 2013.12.31
The aim of this study is carried out to evaluate the fermentation characteristics and increased functionality when doenjang was prepared with bamboo salts. Grain type mejus were fermented with mixed starter cultures of Aspergillus oryzae, Bacillus subtilis, and Lactococcus lactis. These mejus were mixed with different kinds of salts-purified salt (PD), sea salt (SD), one-time baked bamboo salt (
Supported by : 국립농업과학원
- Kim MJ, Lee HS. 1990. Studies on the changes of taste compounds during soy paste fermentation. Korean J Soc Food Sci 6: 1-8.
- Shon DH, Lee KA, Kim SH, Ahn CW, Nam HS, Lee HJ, Shin JI. 1996. Screening of antithrombotic peptides from soybean paste by the microplate method. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 684-688.
- Sohn HS, Lee YS, Shin HC, Chung HK. 2000. Recent research for physiological mechanism of soybean in preventing and treating chronic diseases. Korea Soybean Digest 17: 37-60.
- Kim YS, Rhee CH, Park HD. 2001. Isolation and characterization of a bacterium from Korean soy paste Doenjang producing inhibition of angiotensin converting enzyme. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 84-88.
- Choi SY, Cheigh MJ, Lee JJ, Kim HJ, Hong SS, Chung KS, Lee BK. 1999. Growth suppression effect of traditional fermented soybean paste (doenjang) on the various tumor cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 458-463.
- Lim SY, Rhee SH, Park KY. 2004. Inhibitory effect of methanol extract of doenjang on growth and DNA synthesis of human cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 936-940. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.6.936
- Lee JH, Kim MH, Lim SS. 1991. Antioxidative materials in domestic Meju and Doenjang. 1. Lipid oxidation and browning during fermentation of Meju and Doenjang. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 20: 148-155.
- Lee MJ, Kim HD, Park JW, Kim DS. 1992. Comparison of the antioxidant activity of melanoidin with commercial antioxidants and their synergistic effects. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 21: 686-692.
- Joo HK, Kim ND, Yoon KS. 1989. Changes of enzymatic activities during the fermentation of soybean-soypaste by Aspergillus spp. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 32: 295-302.
- Jeong JK. 2012. Improvement of quality and probiotic effect of meju and doenjang prepared with mixed starter cultures. PhD Dissertation. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea. p 126-140.
- Heo OS, Oh SH, Shin HS, Kim MR. 2005. Mineral and heavy metal contents of salt and salted-fermented shrimp. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 519-524.
- Park BJ, Jang KS, Kim DH, Yook HS, Byun MW. 2002. Changes of microbiological and physicochemical characterisitics of Doenjang prepared with low salt content and gamma irradiation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 79-84.
- Kim SH, Kim SJ, Kim BH, Kang SG, Jung ST. 2000. Fermentation of doenjang prepared with sea salts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 1365-1370.
- Ha JO, Park KY. 1998. Comparison of mineral contents and external structure of various salts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 413-418.
- Kim YH, Ryu HI. 2003. Elements in a bamboo salt and comparison of its elemental contents with those in other salts. Yakhak Hoeji 47: 135-141.
- Zhao X, Jung OS, Park KY. 2012. Alkaline and antioxidant effects of bamboo salt. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1301-1304. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1301
- Park SJ, Park KY, Jun HK. 2001. Effects of commercial salts on the growth of kimchi-related microorganisms. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 806-813.
- Hwang KM, Oh SH, Park KY. 2007. Increased antimutagenic and in vitro anticancer effects by adding green tea extract and bamboo salt during doenjang fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.1.001
- Hwang KM. 2004. Studies on the enhancement of chemopreventive and anticancer effects of doenjang. PhD Dissertation. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea. p 199-202.
- Im CM, Kwon SH, Bae MS, Jung KO, Moon SH, Park KY. 2006. Characteristics and increased antimutagenic effect of black soybean (Var. Seoritae) chungkukjang. Cancer Prevention Res 11: 218-224.
- Park SK, Seo KI, Shon MY, Moon JS, Lee YH. 2000. Quality characteristics of home-made doenjang, a traditional Korean soybean paste. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 121-127.
- Lee JS, Kwon SJ, Chung SW, Choi YJ, Yoo JY, Chung DH. 1996. Changes of microorganisms, enzyme activities and major components during the fermentation of Korean traditional Deonjang and Kochujang. Korean J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 24: 247-253.
- Kim HG. 2010. Sensory characteristics and consumer acceptability of fermented soybean paste (Doenjang) products. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea. p 21-22.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Chung SK, Osawa T, Kawakishi S. 1997. Hydroxyl radical-scavenging effects of spices and scavengers from brown mustard (Brassica nigra). Biosci Biotech Biochem 61: 118-123. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.61.118
- Park KT, Kim MY, Chun SS. 2009. Quality characteristics of Korean wheat wet noodles with pomegranate cortex powder. Korean J Culin Res 15: 128-136.
- Bak SS, Kong CS, Rhee SH, Rho CW, Kim NK, Choi KL, Park KY. 2007. Effect of sulfur enriched young radish kimchi on the induction of apoptosis in AGS human gastric adenocarcinoma cells. J Food Sci Nutr 12: 79-83. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2007.12.2.079
- Kim EY, Rhyu MR. 2000. The chemical properties of doenjang prepared by Monascus koji. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 1114-1121.
- Rhee CH, Lee JB, Jang SM. 2000. Changes of microorganism, enzyme activity and physiological functionality in the traditional deonjang with various concentrations of Lentinus edodes during fermentation. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 43: 277-284.
- Lee KY, Cho SH. 2003. Effect of the combined fermentation with Aspergillus oryzae and Bacillus natto on the quality improvement of doenjang meju. J Agric & Life Sci 37: 9-21.
- Kim JY. 2007. Isolation and characterization of an alkaline protease produced by Bacillus subtilis JK-1. Korean J Microbiol 43: 331-336.
- Vallee BL, Stein EA, Sumerwell WN, Fischer EH. 1959. Metal content of α-amylases of various origins. J Biol Chem 234: 2901-2905.
- Kim JM, Shin MK, Hwang HS, Kim HT. 1990. Effects of salting process on ascorbic acid contents, α-amylase activity, seasoning penetration and microbial counts of radish cubes for Kakdugi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 492-495.
- Zhao X, Kim SH, Qi Y, Kim SY, Park KY. 2012. Effects of different kinds of salt in the comutagenicity and growth of cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 26-32. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.1.026
- Kim MH, Im SS, Yoo YB, Kim GE, Lee JH. 1994. Antioxidative materials in domestic-Meju and doenjang. 4. Separation of phenolic compounds and their antioxidative activity. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 792-798.
- Kitada M, Igarashi K, Hirose S, Kitagwa H. 1979. Inhibition by polyamines of lipid peroxide formation in rat liver microsomes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 87: 388-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(79)91808-4
- Shon MY, Lee J, Choi JH, Choi SY, Nam SH, Seo KI, Lee SW, Sung NJ, Park SK. 2007. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of methanol extract of chungkukjang. J Food Comps Anal 20: 113-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.08.003
- Lee SM, Chang HC. 2009. Growth-inhibitory effect of the solar salt-Doenjang on cancer cells, AGS and HT-29. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1664-1671. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1664
- Yoon HH, Kim IC, Chang HC. 2012. Growth inhibitory effects of doenjang, prepared with various solar salts on cancer cells. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 278-286. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.278
- Paoluzzi L, O'Connor OA. 2010. Targeting survival pathways in lymphoma. Adv Exp Med Biol 687: 79-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6706-0_5
- Korsmeyer SJ. 1995. Regulators of cell death. Trends Genet 11: 101-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9525(00)89010-1
- Debatin KM. 2004. Apoptosis pathways in cancer and cancer therapy. Cancer Immunol Immunother 53: 153-159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00262-003-0474-8
- Cianchi F, Perna F, Masini E. 2005. iNOS/COX-2 pathway interaction: a good molecular target for cancer treatment. Current Enzyme Inhibition 1: 97-105. https://doi.org/10.2174/1573408054022207
- Kumar M, Kumar S, Kaur S. 2012. Role of ROS and COX-2/iNOS inhibition in cancer chemoprevention: a review. Phytochem Rev 11: 309-337. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11101-012-9265-1
- Einspahr JG, Krouse RS, Yochim JM, Danenberg PV, Danenberg KD, Bhattacharyya AK, Martínez ME, Alberts DS. 2003. Association between cyclooxygenase expression and colorectal adenoma characteristics. Cancer Res 63: 3891-3893.
- Watanabe K, Kawamori T, Nakatsugi S, Wakabayashi K. 2000. COX-2 and iNOS, good targets for chemoprevention of colon cancer. Biofactors 12: 129-133. https://doi.org/10.1002/biof.5520120120
- Salvemini D, Settle SL, Masferrer JL, Seibert K, Currie MG, Needleman P. 1995. Regulation of prostaglandin production by nitric oxide; an in vivo analysis. Br J Pharmacol 114: 1171-1178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1995.tb13330.x
- Antioxidative and Anticancer Effects of Doenjang Prepared with Bamboo Salt in HT-29 Human Colon Cancer Cells vol.44, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.524
- Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Doenjang Made by Traditional Methods vol.43, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.10.1543
- Inhibition of Cell Proliferation and Induction of Apoptosis by Ethanolic Extract of Lespedeza cuneata G. Don in Human Colorectal Cancer HT-29 cells vol.45, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.6.911
- Quality characteristics of popped rice Doenjang prepared with Bacillus subtilis strains vol.22, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.4.545
- Enhancing Effect of Pteridium aquilinum and Aster scaber Added Doenjang on Immunomodulatory Activity vol.45, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.445
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Generation in Heat-Processed Sundried Salt vol.77, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-14-054