- Volume 42 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Preparation of Coating Agent for Fresh-Cut Fruit on Cake and Its Storage Characteristics
케이크용 신선편의 과일 코팅제의 제조 및 저장 특성
- Park, Jung-Eun (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Yeon, Soo-Ji (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Ho (Dept. of Food Science and Engineering, Seowon University) ;
- Park, Yeo-Jin (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jang, Keum-Il (Dept. of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.06.17
- Accepted : 2013.07.25
- Published : 2013.12.31
In this study, we tried to develop a coating agent for the fresh-cut fruits used in cakes. First, the coating agent mixing ratios of sugar, pectin, sodium alginate, carrageenan, xanthan gum, vitamin C, and purified water were selected to be 55, 2, 2, 0.04, 0.1, 0.05, and 40.81% (w/w), respectively. In a freeze-thaw stability of the coating agent, the viscosity remained constant for 3 cycles of freezing and thawing repetition process, but showed a slightly decreasing trend in the 4th repetition process (P<0.05). On the other hand, the sugar content, pH, and chromaticity remained constant even in the 4th repetition process. Pineapple coated with the coating agent had smaller weight loss, hardness changes, and total bacteria distribution compared to the uncoated pineapple (P<0.05). In the chromaticity, both of the two pineapples experienced browning with increasing storage duration, as L value decreases and b value increases. However, when the color difference was compared, the progress of browning for the uncoated pineapple was faster than the coated pineapple. Also, the progress of browning at
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Jeong CH, Kim JH, Cho JR, Ahn CG, Shim KH. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cake upon addition of paprika powder. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 281-287.
- Kim MS. 2005. A sutdy on the tea culture and tea food of Korea and western. MS Thesis. Wonkwang University, Jeonbuk, Korea.
- Kim GH. 2000. Development of minimal processing technology for Korean fruit and vegetables. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 577-583.
- Kim HY, Oh SW, Chung SY, Choi SH, Lee JW, Yang JY, Seo EC, Kim YH, Park HO, Yang CY, Ha SC, Shin IS. 2011. An investigation of microbial contamination ready-toeat products in Seoul, Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 43: 39-44. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.1.039
- Lee WJ, Lee CH, Yoo JY, Kim KY, Jang KI. 2011. Sterilization efficacy of washing method using based on microbubbles and electrolyzed water on various vegetables. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 912-917. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.912
- King AD, Bolin HR. 1989. Physical and microbiological storage stability of minimally processed fruits and vegetables. Food Technol 4: 132-135.
- Artes F, Castener M, Gill MI. 1998. Enzymatic browning in minimally processed fruits and vegetables. Food Sci Technol Int 4: 377-389. https://doi.org/10.1177/108201329800400602
- Rinsky G, Rinsky LH. 2009. The pastry chef's companion: a comprehensive resource guide for the baking and pastry professional. John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA. p 12, 189.
- Rojas-Grau MA, Tapia MS, Martin-Belloso O. 2008. Using polysaccharide-based edible coatings to maintain quality of fresh-cut Fuji apples. LWT-Food Sci Technol 41: 139-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2007.01.009
- Baldwin EA, Burns JK, Kazokas W, Brecht JK, Hagenmaier RD, Bender RJ, Pesis E. 1999. Effect of two edible coatings with different permeability characteristics on mango (Mangifera indica L.) ripening during storage. Postharvest Biol Technol 17: 215-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5214(99)00053-8
- McGuire RG, Hallman GJ. 1995. Coating guavas with cellulose- or carnauba-based emulsions interferes with postharvest ripening. HortScience 30: 294-295.
- Wu S, Chen J. 2013. Using pullulan-based edible coatings to extend shelf-life of fresh-cut ‘Fuji’ apples. Int J Biol Macromol 55: 254-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2013.01.012
- Zhang X, Lee FZ, Eun JB. 2008. Physicochemical properties and glucose transport retarding effect of pectin from flesh of Asian pear at different growth stages. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 491-496.
- Kim HY, Hong KH, Choi JD, Park SK, Jung SS, Choi WJ, Ahn YS, Hong YP, Song OJ, Moon DC, Lee SH, Shin IS. 2006. Development of analytical method for sodium alginate in foods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 1-4.
- Acevedo CA, Lopez DA, Tapia MJ, Enrione J, Skurtys O, Pedreschi F, Brown DI, Creixell W, Osorio F. 2012. Using RGB image processing for designating an alginate edible film. Food Bioprocess Technol 5: 1511-1520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-010-0453-y
- Rhim JW, Hwang KT, Park HJ, Jung ST. 1996. Water-vapor transfer characteristics of carrageenan-based edible film. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 545-551.
- Kim HJ, Chun HS, Kim HYL. 2004. Use of gellan gum and xanthan gum as texture modifiers for Yackwa, a Korean traditional fried cake. J Food Sci Nutr 9: 107-112. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2004.9.2.107
- Lee WG, Lee JA. 2012. Quality characteristics of yogurt dressing prepared with blueberry juice. Korean J Culinary Res 18: 255-265.
- Jeong JW, Kim JH, Kwon KH, Park KJ. 2006. Disinfection effects of electrolyzed water on strawberry and quality changes during storage. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 316-321.
- Lee HS, Cha HS, Kim BS, Kwon KH. 2009. Quality characteristics during storage of ginseng washed by different methods. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 342-347.
- Yoo JY, Jang KI. 2011. Changes in quality of soybean sprouts washed with electrolyzed water during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 586-592. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.4.586
- Lim YT, Kim DH, Ahn JB, Choi SH, Han GP, Kim GH, Jang KI. 2012. Quality characteristics of madeleine with peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) juice. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 664-670. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.3.664
- Park YJ, Yoo JY, Jang KI. 2010. Storage attribute of Angelica keiskei juice treated with various electrolyzed water. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1846-1853. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1846
- Lee SH, Hwang IG, Kim HY, Lee HK, Lee SH, Woo SH, Lee JS, Jeong HS. 2010. Starch properties of Daehak waxy corn with different harvest times. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 573-579. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.573
- Chirife J, Buera MP. 1997. A simple model for predicting the viscosity of sugar and oligosaccharide solutions. J Food Eng 33: 221–226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(97)00060-5
- Lee GC, Ahn SC. 2001. Inhibition effects of caramelization products from sugar solutions subjected to different temperature on polyphenol oxidase. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1041-1046.
- Kroh LW. 1994. Caramelization in food and beverages. J Food Chem 51: 373-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(94)90188-0
- Moalemiyan M, Ramaswamy HS, Maftoonazad N. 2012. Pectin-based edible coating for shelf-life extension of ataulfo mango. J Food Process Eng 35: 572-600. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4530.2010.00609.x
- Hiroshi I. 1977. The formation of maltol and isomaltol through degradation of sucrose. Agric Biol Chem 41: 1307-1308. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.41.1307
- Lazarus CR, West RL, Oblinger JL, Palmer AZ. 1976. Evaluation of a calcium alginate coating and a protective plastic wrapping for the control of lamb carcass shrinkage. J Food Sci 41: 639-641. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1976.tb00689.x
- Williams SK, Oblinger JL, West RL. 1978. Evaluation of a calcium alginate film for use on beef cuts. J Food Sci 43: 292-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1978.tb02288.x
- Rhim JW. 2004. Physical and mechanical properties of water resistant sodium alginate films. LWT-Food Sci Technol 37: 323-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2003.09.008
- Molina-Rubio MP, Casas-Alencaster NB, Martinez-Padilla LP. 2010. Effect of formulation and processing conditions on the rheological and textural properties of a semi-liquid syrup model. Food Res Int 43: 678-682. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2009.10.023
- Muadklay J, Charoenrein S. 2008. Effect of hydrocolloids and freezing rates on freeze-thaw stability of tapioca starch gels. Food Hydrocolloids 22: 1268-1272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2007.06.008
- Hoover R, Li YX, Hynes G, Senanayake N. 1997. Physicochemical characterization of mung bean starch. Food Hydrocolloids 11: 401-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(97)80037-9
- Phimolsiripol Y, Siripatrawan U, Henry CJK. 2011. Pasting behaviour, textural properties and freeze-thaw stability of wheat flour-crude malva nut (Scaphium scaphigerum) gum system. J Food Eng 105: 557-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.03.022
- Lee MH, Baek MH, Cha DS, Park HJ, Lim ST. 2002. Freeze-thaw stabilization of sweet potato starch gel by polysaccharide gums. Food Hydrocolloids 16: 345-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(01)00107-2
- Yamazaki E, Sago T, Kasubuchi Y, Imamura K, Matsuoka T, Kurita O, Nambu H, Matsumura Y. 2013. Improvement on the freeze-thaw stability of corn starch gel by the polysaccharide from leaves of Corchorus olitorius L. Carbohydr Polym 94: 555-560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2013.01.079
- Quality Characteristics of Noodles added with Moringa oleifera Leaf Powder vol.27, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.6.27.3.321