- Volume 42 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Perception of University Students on Nutrition Information According to Food & Nutrition Labeling Systems in Family Restaurant
패밀리 레스토랑의 영양표시제도 시행에 따른 대학생들의 영양정보에 관한 인식 연구
- Yang, Jung-Hwa (Div. of Food Science and Nutrition, Human Ecology Research Institute, Chonnam National University) ;
- Heo, Young-Ran (Div. of Food Science and Nutrition, Human Ecology Research Institute, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2013.08.30
- Accepted : 2013.10.30
- Published : 2013.12.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate the perception of university students on nutritional information according to food and nutrition labeling systems. A total of 310 customers, who visited family restaurant, were surveyed by a self-recorded questionnaire from March 2006 to April 2011. A total of 286 respondents were surveyed; of the respondents, 108 were males and 178 were females. Two surveys were conducted on the perception of the respondent's health: once in 2006 and once in 2011. According to these surveys, 63.6% and 54% of respondents perceived themselves as unhealthy, respectively. When ordering a meal, respondents were more concerned with price rather than taste, nutrition, new menu items, and food presentation. Compared with 2006, in 2011 more respondents felt that family restaurants provided enough nutritional information and practical use of that information to their customers. When surveyed, respondents felt that the total calories played a significantly higher role in ordering food than foods with higher nutritional values. There was a significant increase in satisfaction with the current nutrition labeling system; in 2006,
- Kim TH. 2002. Family restaurant patrons' attitudes toward nutrition & healthy menus. Korean J Dietary Culture 17: 629-637.
- Kim TH, Chang HJ. 2003. Family restaurant patrons' perception on nutrition information of restaurant menus. Korean J Food Culture 18: 270-278.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 1995. Food labeling regulations. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, Korea.
- Chung EJ, Jeon JS, Ahn HS. 2010. Reading and understanding of food & nutrition labels and dietary behaviors of female middle and high school students. J Korean Diet Assoc 16: 239-254.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. http://foodnara.go.kr/foodnara/board.do?boardId=info_E_11&mid=S08_02 (accessed June 2013).
- Kwon KI, Park SH, Lee JH, Kim JY, Yoo KS, Lee JS, Kim SY, Sung H, Nam HS, Kim JW, Lee HY, Park HK, Kim MC. 2007. Prevalence of nutrition labeling and claims on processed, and packaged foods. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 206-213.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. http://www.mfds.go.kr/index.do?mid=675&seq=16679&cmd=v (accessed June 2013).
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. http://mfds.korea.kr/gonews/branch.do?act=detailView&dataId=155902896§ionId=p_sec_1&type=news&flComment=1&flReply=0 (accessed July 2013).
- Yoo JN, Jeong HS. 2011. Consumer awareness of nutrition labelling in restaurants according to level of health consciousness. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 282-290. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.3.282
- Choi SH. 2002. Food labeling trends and issues. Samsung Economic Research and Institute Issue Paper. Seoul, Korea. November 27.
- Statistics Korea. http://www.index.go.kr/egams/stts/jsp/potal/ stts/PO_STTS_IdxMain.jsp?idx_cd=1060 (accessed August 2013).
- Yoon CK. 2005. The study on the relationship between health concern, health behavior, and subjective health cognition. J Korean Society of Health Information and Health Statistics 29: 37-45.
- Korea Communication Commission. http://www.kcc.go.kr/user.do?mode=view&page=A02060400&dc=60400&boardId=1030&cp=1&boardSeq=36007 (accessed August 2013).
- Choi BK, Ko PS, Cho MS. 2005. The behavior of spending money on eating out and the perception of food taste for college students. Korea J of Tourism and Hospitality Research 7: 25-46.
- Korea National Council of Consumer Organizations. http://www.sobo112.or.kr/sub2_4.html?ptype=view&idx=14725 (accessed August 2013).
- Sohn CY. 2009. Perception of nutrition labeling on restaurant menus among adults in Suwon. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 420-429.
- Chang NS. 1997. Food/nutrition attitudes, views and practies of adults in Seoul area. Korean J Nutr 30: 360-369.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. 2004. Study for improvement of nutrition labeling system. Korea Food & Drug Administration, Seoul, Korea. p 176-177.
- Chung JY, Kim MJ. 2007. Using and understanding of nutrition labels and related factors among female adult in the Seoul area. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 417-425.
- Roberto CA, Larsen PD, Agnew H, Baik J, Brownell KD. 2010. Evaluating the impact of menu labeling on food choices and intake. American J Public Health 100: 312-318. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.160226
- Tandon PS, Wright J, Zhou C, Rogers CB, Christakis DA. 2010. Nutrition menu labeling may lead to lower-calorie restaurant meal choices for children. Pediatrics 125: 244-248. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-1117
- Satia JA, Galanko JA, Neuhouser ML. 2005. Food nutrition label use is associated with demographic, behavior, and psychosocial factors and dietary intake among African in North Carolina. J Am Diet Assoc 105: 392-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.12.006
- Hyon SM, Kim JW. 2007. Improvement of dietary attitudes of elementary students by nutrition labeling education. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 168-177.
- Awareness of Processed Foods and Chronic Disease in High School Students in Yongin Area vol.44, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.1.076
- Recognition of Food Labeling of High School Students in Yongin Region vol.27, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.2.27.1.9
- Perceptions of university students regarding calories, food healthiness, and the importance of calorie information in menu labelling vol.91, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2015.04.042
- Customer’ Perceptions of Motivators, Barriers, and Expansion of Menu Labeling in Restaurants vol.30, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2015.30.2.190
- Restaurants’ disclosure of nutritional information as a corporate social responsibility initiative: Customers’ attitudinal and behavioral responses vol.55, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2016.02.002
- Parents' meal choices for their children at fast food and family restaurants with different menu labeling presentations vol.12, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2018.12.3.243