- Volume 42 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Improvement Effect of MMSC (DL-Methionine Methylsulfonium Chloride) in Functional Dyspepsia Animal Models
동물모델을 이용한 MMSC(DL-Methionine Methylsulfonium Chloride)의 기능성소화불량증 개선효과
- Kim, Jae Min (National Center of Efficacy Evaluation for the Development of Health Products Targeting Digestive Disorder, Inha Hospital) ;
- Cha, Myoung Hee (National Center of Efficacy Evaluation for the Development of Health Products Targeting Digestive Disorder, Inha Hospital) ;
- Lee, Don Haeng (National Center of Efficacy Evaluation for the Development of Health Products Targeting Digestive Disorder, Inha Hospital) ;
- Lee, Woon Kyu (National Center of Efficacy Evaluation for the Development of Health Products Targeting Digestive Disorder, Inha Hospital)
- 김재민 (국가지정 소화기질환 의료제품 유효성평가 서비스센터) ;
- 차명희 (국가지정 소화기질환 의료제품 유효성평가 서비스센터) ;
- 이돈행 (국가지정 소화기질환 의료제품 유효성평가 서비스센터) ;
- 이운규 (국가지정 소화기질환 의료제품 유효성평가 서비스센터)
- Received : 2013.10.07
- Accepted : 2013.10.15
- Published : 2013.12.31
The objective of this study is to investigate the gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit improvement effect of DL-methionine methylsulfonium chloride (MMSC) in functional dyspepsia animal models. Cisplatin causes nausea, vomiting, and inhibition of gastric emptying. Rats were divided into four groups: G1 (normal group), G2 (gastric emptying induced by cisplatin), G3 (gastric emptying induced by cisplatin with itopride 30 mg/kg pretreatment), and G4 (gastric emptying induced by cisplatin with MMSC 4 mg/kg pretreatment). Immediately after an oral administration of a liquid meal (phenol red), delayed gastric emptying was induced by cisplatin (10 mg/kg (i.p.)). After 20 min in the cisplatin administration, the animals were sacrificed. In rats treated with cisplatin, the gastric emptying rate was significantly reduced. On the other hand, MMSC reversed the reduction of gastric emptying induced by cisplatin. And also, MMSC caused to travel FITC-dextran more significantly longer distance than the control, which is based on the values of the mean geometric center in the atropine driven delayed gastrointestinal transit animal models. Furthermore, MMSC drastically increased the gastrointestinal transit in rats, considerably increased the values of the mean geometric center (MGC), compared to the control, which was comparable to that of mosapride. These results suggest that MMSC could be an effective component for the treatment of functional dyspepsia.
Supported by : 한국보건산업진흥원
- Tack J, Bisschops R, Sarnelli G. 2004. Pathophysiology and treatment of functional dyspepsia. Gastroenterology 127: 1239-1255. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2004.05.030
- Talley NJ, Locke GR III, Lahr BD, Zinsmeister AR, Ligozio G, Rojavin MA, Tack J. 2006. Functional dyspepsia delayed gastric emptying and impaired quality of life. Gut 55: 933-939. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2005.078634
- Rhee PL, Kim YH, Son HJ, Kim JJ, Koh KC, Paik SW, Rhee JC, Choi KW. 1999. The etiologic role of gastric hypersensitivity in functional dyspepsia in Korea. J Clin Gastroenterol 29: 332-335. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004836-199912000-00007
- Kim JY. 2005. Digestive disorders. Ilchokak, Seoul, Korea. p 1064.
- Veldhuyzen van Zanten SJ, Cleary C, Talley NJ, Peterson TC, Nyrén O, Bradley LA, Verlinden M, Tytgat GN. 1996. Drug treatment of functional dyspepsia: a systemic analysis of trial methodology with recommendations for design of future trials. Am J Gastroenterol 91: 660-673.
- Health insurance statistic index. 2007. Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Korea.
- Mendeloff AI. 1983. Epidemiology of functional gastrointestinal disorders. In Functional Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract. Chey WI, ed. Raven Press, New York, NY, USA. p 13-19.
- Whitehead WE, Crowell MD, Robinson JC, Heller BR, Schuster MM. 1983. Effects of stressful life events on bowel symptoms: subjects with irritable bowel syndrome compared to subjects without bowel dysfunction. Gut 33: 825-830.
- Drossman DA. 1999. The functional gastrointestinal disorders and the Rome II process. Gut 45: 111-115.
- Delattre M, Malesloy M, Prinzie A. 1985. Symptomatic treatment of non-ulcer dyspepsia with cimetidine. Curr Ther Res 37: 980-991.
- Heyse PM, Rambaldo R, Hazelhoff B. 1993. Factors affecting short- and long-term outcome of a short therapeutic trial with cisapride in dyspeptic patients. Scand J Gastroenterol 195: 15-23.
- Maw GA. 1981. The chemistry of the sulfonium group. John Wiley and Sons Inc., London, England. p 704-770.
- Leung CP, Leung WKH. 1989. Determination of vitamin U and its degradation by high-performance lipuid chromatography with florescence detection. J Chromatgr 479: 361-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(01)83351-3
- Bukin VN, Anisimov VE. 1973. Vitamin U: Priroda, Svoistva, Primenenie (Vitamin U: Nature, Features and Application). Nauka, Moscow, Russia. p 160.
- Gessler NN, Bezzubov AA, Podlepa EM, Byknovskii V. 1991. S-methylmethionine (vitamin U) metabolism in plants. Appl Biochem Microbiol 27: 192-199.
- Watanabe T, Ohara S, Miyazawa S, Saigenji K, Hotta K. 2000. Augmentative effects of L-cysteine and methylmethionine sulfonium chloride on mucin secretion in rabbit gastric mucous cells. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15: 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1746.2000.02037.x
- Collins SM. 1992. Is the irritable gut an inflamed gut? Scand J Gastroenterol 27(s192): 102-105. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365529209095988
- Scarpignato C, Capovilla T, Bertaccini G. 1980. Action of caerulein on gastric emptying of the conscious rats. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther 246: 286-294.
- Ozaki A, Sukamoto T. 1999. Improvement of cisplatin-induced emesis and delayed gastric emptying by KB-R6933, a novel 5-HT3 receptor antagonist. Gen Pharmacol 33: 283-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-3623(98)00286-9
- Lee TH, Choi JJ, Kim DH, Choi S, Lee KR, Son MW, Jin MR. 2008. Gastroprokinetic effects of DA-9701, a new prokinetic agent formulated with Pharbitis Semen and Corydalis Tuber. Phytomedicine 15: 836-843. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2008.02.019
- Huh C, Yang CH, Jang JG, Lee DH, Lee GL, Seol SY, Lee YJ, Han YS, Rim KS, Rhee PL, Shin WC, Lee KJ, Chung MK, Na YH. 1998. Functional dyspepsia and subgroups in Korea and short term out come of therapeutic trial of cisapride; Multicenter Study. Korean J Gastrointest Motil 4: 1-12.
- Krarup-Hansen A, Helweg-Larsen S, Schmalbruch H, Roth M, Krarup C. 2007. Neuronal involvement in cisplatin neuropathy: Prospective clinical and neuro physiological studies. Brain 130: 1076-1088.
- Poli-Bigelli S, Rodrigues-Pereira J, Carides AD, Julie Ma G, Eldridge K, Hipple A, Evans JK, Horgan KJ, Lawson F. 2003. Addition of the neurokinin 1 receptor antagonist aprepitant to standard antiemetic therapy improves control of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in Latin America. Cancer 97: 3090-3098. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11433
- Tyers MB. 1991. 5-HT3 receptors and the therapeutic potential of 5-HT3 receptor antagonists. Therapie 46: 431-435.
- Jordan K, Kasper C, Schmoll HJ. 2005. Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: current and new standards in the antiemetic prophylaxis and treatment. Eur J Cancer 41: 199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2004.09.026
- Iwagana Y, Miyashita N, Saito T, Morikawa K, Itoh Z. 1996. Gastroprokinetic effect of a new benzamide derivative itopride and its action mechanisms in conscious dogs. J Pharmacol 71: 129-137.
- Iwanaga Y, Kimura T, Miyashita N, Morikawa K, Nagata O, Itoh Z. 1994. Characterization of acetylcholinesterase-inhibition by itopride. J Pharmacol 66: 317-322.
- Iwanaga Y, Miyashita N, Mizutani F, Morikawa K, Kato H, Ito Y, Itoh Z. 1991. Stimulatory effect of N-[4-[2- (dimethylamino)ethoxy]benzyl]-3,4-dimethoxybenzamide hydrochloride (HSR-803) on normal and delayed gastrointestinal propulsion. Jpn J Pharmacol 56: 261-269. https://doi.org/10.1254/jjp.56.261
- Kim SW, Cha CK, Han SU, Kim YB, Joo HJ, Cho YK, Cho SW, Kim MW, Hahm KB, Lee WH. 2002. Long term evaluation of mouse model infected with Helicobacter pylori and influence of Helicobacter pylori infection on gastric carcinogenesis. Korean J Gastroenterol 39: 22-32.
- Baldassano R, Braegger CP, Escher JC, Dewoody K, Hendricks DF, Keenan GF, Winter H. 2003. Infliximab (REMICADE) therapy in the treatment of pediatric Crohn's disease. Am J Gastroenterol 98: 833-838. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2003.07343.x