- Volume 16 Issue 1
An Analysis of Technical English Writing and Research Ethics of Graduate Students in Science and Engineering Colleges: The Case of Seoul National University
이공계열 대학원생의 영어 논문 작성 실태 및 연구윤리에 관한 인식 조사: 서울대학교 사례를 중심으로
- Park, Eunmee (Center for Teaching & Learning, Seoul National University) ;
- Chang, Ji-Yeon (Education Research Institute, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Heewon (Center for Teaching & Learning, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.12.01
- Accepted : 2012.11.12
- Published : 2013.01.31
The present study was conducted to investigate science and engineering graduate students' proficiency in technical English writing and their perceptions of research ethics. Given that graduate students in science and engineering colleges usually write journal articles as well as dissertations in English, this study examined their experience of and preparation for technical English writing, writing practices, and research ethics including plagiarism. The results of the study show that it is very necessary to intensify education on research ethics and to provide educational training in proper citation practices. These findings can be used as a basis for the development of future academic curricula and other support resources to improve science and engineering graduate students' technical English writing.
technical English writing;research ethics;plagiarism
- 김형순 (2003). 논문 10%만 고쳐써라. 야스미디어.
- 권성규(2010). 공대생 글쓰기 과목에서 가르칠 내용. 공학교육 연구, 13(1): 3-16.
- 김이진, 박보영, 이창하, 김문겸 (2008). 한국 대학생들의 영어 기술 논문 작성 능력 향상을 위한 고찰. 공학교육연구, 10(3): 64-78.
- 박상민(2009). 이공계 글쓰기 교육의 특징과 과제. 배달말, 45: 301-326.
- Alred, G. J., Brusaw, C. T., & Oliu, W. E.(2006). Handbook of technical writing(8th ed.). Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Beer, D. F., & McMurrey, D. A.(2005). A guide to writing as an engineer(2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Chang, J.-Y.(2011). The use of general and specialized corpora as reference tools for academic and technical English writing: A case study of Korean graduate students of engineering.(Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Borowick, J. N.(1996). Technical communication and its applications. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Braine, G.(1995). Writing in the natural sciences and engineering. In D. Belcher & G. Braine(Eds.), Academic writing in a second language: Essays on research and pedagogy (pp. 113-134). Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- Casanave, C. P., & Hubbard, P.(1992). The writing assignments and writing problems of doctoral students: Faculty perceptions, pedagogical issues, and needed research. English for Specific Purposes, 11(1): 33-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-4906(92)90005-U
- Cho, D. W. (2009). Science journal paper writing in an EFL context: The case of Korea. English for Specific Purposes, 28(4): 230-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esp.2009.06.002
- Connor, U., & Upton, T. A. (2004). The genre of grant proposals: A corpus linguistic analysis. In U. Connor & T. A. Upton(Eds.), Discourse in the professions: Perspectives from corpus linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Day, R. A., & Gastel, B.(2006). How to write and publish a scientific paper(6th ed.). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Dong, Y. R.(1998). Non-native graduate students' thesis/ dissertation writing in science: Self-reports by students and their advisors from two U.S. institutions. English for Specific Purposes, 17(4): 369-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-4906(97)00054-9
- Feak, C. B., & Swales, J. M.(2009). Telling a research story: Writing a literature review. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan Press.
- Flowerdew, J.(1999). Problems in writing for scholarly publication in English: The case of Hong Kong. Journal of Second Language Writing, 8(3): 243-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1060-3743(99)80116-7
- Flowerdew, J.(2002). Ethnographically inspired approaches to the study of academic discourse. In J. Flowerdew (Ed.). Academic discourse (pp. 235-252). Harlow, England: Longman.
- Kushner, S.(1997). Tackling the needs of foreign academic writers: A case study. Professional Communication, IEEE Transactions on, 40(1): 20-25.
- Flowerdew, J., & Peacock, M.(2001). Issues in EAP: A preliminary perspective. In J. Flowerdew & M. Peacock (Eds.), Research perspectives on English for academic purposes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Jenkins, S., Jordan, M. K., & Weiland, P. O.(1993). The role of writing in graduate engineering education: A survey of faculty beliefs and practices. English for Specific Purposes, 12(1): 51-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-4906(93)90027-L
- Katz, M. J.(2006). From research to manuscript: A guide to scientific writing. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Lebrun, J.-L.(2009). Scientific writing: A reader and writer's guide. Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific.
- Markel, M.(2004). Technical communication(7th ed.). Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Parkhurst, C.(1990). The composition process of science writers. English for Specific Purposes, 9(2): 169-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-4906(90)90006-X
- Pfeiffer, W. S., & Adkins, K. E.(2010). Technical communication: A practical approach(7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Shin, I.(2010). The importance of English for Korean postgraduate engineering students in the global age. English Teaching, 65(1): 221-240. https://doi.org/10.15858/engtea.65.1.201003.221
- Swales, J. M., & Feak, C. B.(2004). Academic writing for graduate students: Essential tasks and skills(2nd ed.). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Swales, J. M., & Feak, C. B.(2009). Abstracts and the writing of abstracts. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Tardy, C.(2004). The role of English in scientific communication: Lingua franca or Tyrannosaurus rex? Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 3(3): 247-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeap.2003.10.001
- Wood, A.(2001). International scientific English: The language of research scientists around the world. In J. Flowerdew & M. Peacock (Eds.), Research perspectives on English for academic purposes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Young, M.(1989). The technical writer's handbook: Writing with style and clarity. Mill Valley, CA: University Science Books.
- Zobel,J. (2004). Writing for computer science(2nd ed.). London: Springer.