- Volume 16 Issue 3
Contribution of Curricula and Extra-Curricular Activities on Successful Employment Derived from an Engineering Graduates Survey
공학계열 남녀 졸업생의 조사를 통해 본 교과과정 내의 활동의 취업 기여
- Kim, Wonjung (Interdisciplinary Program in Gender Studies, Seoul National University) ;
- Oh, Myongsook S. (School of Materials Sciences and Chemical Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2013.02.12
- Accepted : 2013.05.29
- Published : 2013.05.31
This study investigated various attributes that contributed to successful employment in order to develop employment support programs, especially for female engineering students. We surveyed engineering students who graduated between 2006 and 2011. The 401 employed graduates participated in an online survey. The surveys inquired about their attachment towards their major, participation in various academic and non-academic activities, and their participation's contribution to their successful employment. In regards to their majors, women, in general, had lower levels of satisfaction, confidence, attachment, and motivation to succeed in their fields when compared to their male counterparts. These results show that engineering colleges still need to work on empowering female engineering students to gain confidence in their engineering major and attachment. The graduate school experience was highly rated by both men and women, whereas double majors exhibited somewhat lower scores. Among academic activities, part-time work experience and major-related internships were rated as the most helpful, and among extracurricular activities, study-abroad for language training and participation in student council or clubs received high scores. There was little difference between men and women in study-abroad participation, and women participated more actively in student councils. However, women had much less major-related work experience, reaffirming that colleges need to expand internship and field experience programs for female students.
- 김태홍 ․ 김종숙(2002). 여성 청년층 집단의 취업이행 실태와 정책과제, 한국여성정책연구원.
- 김안국(2006). 이공계 대졸 청년층의 직장이동과 전공직종일치 분석. 노동경제논집, 29(1): 153-184
- 민무숙 ․ 이정희 ․ 송현주(2002). 공학분야 여성고급인적자원 개발 지원방안, 한국여성정책연구원.
- 박재민 ․ 김형주 ․ 임창규 ․ 임하얀(2006). 과학기술인력의 학교에서 직업으로의 이행과정 및 취업구조 분석, 과학기술정책연구원.
- 신선미 ․ 오은진(2004). 전문대학의 여성인적자원 개발 현황과 정책과제: 이공계열을 중심으로, 한국여성정책연구원.
- 이규용 ․ 김용현(2003). 대졸 청년층의 노동시장 성과 결정요인. 노동정책연구, 3(2): 69-93
- 이상민(2004). 고학력 여성들의 취업실태 및 정책방안: 국내 5개 대학 취업실태 및 여대생커리어개발센터를 중심으로, 여성가족부.
- 장창원 ․ 이상돈 ․ 황규희 ․ 오호영 ․ 김미란(2005). 미래의 직업세계 인프라구축: 전문대 및 대학 졸업생 취업 조사, 교육인적자원부 ․ 한국직업능력개발원.
- 정윤경 ․ 오명숙 ․ 김지현(2008). 공대 여학생의 전공 관련 심리적 특성의 탐색. 공학교육연구, 11(4): 34-45
- 채구묵(2007). 신규대졸자의 취업 및 임금수준 결정요인 분석. 한국사회복지학, 59(4): 35-61
- 최영섭 ․ 박재민(2007). 이공계 고등교육 졸업생의 노동시장 이행 과정 분석: 일자리 유형별 취업 소요 기간 분석을 중심으로. 직업능력개발연구, 10(2): 1-24
- 한국교육개발원 교육통계연구센터 교육통계서비스, 2012, http:// cesi.kedi.re.kr/.
- Felder, R. et al.(1995). A Longitudinal Study of Engineering Student Performance and Retention: Gender Differences in Student Performance and Attitudes. Journal of Engineering Education, 84(2): 151-163 https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.1995.tb00162.x
- Seymore, E.,(1995). The loss of Women from Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Undergraduate Majors: An Explanatory Account. Science Education, 79: 437-473 https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730790406