- Volume 16 Issue 5
This study aims to explore self-directed learning strategies of high academic achievers majoring in engineering. The research participants were 21 fourth-year students who had attained the first or second highest cumulative grade point average in each department during the past three-year and were asked to write an essay on "my successful learning methods or techniques." The essays were analyzed by theme analysis method which is one of the qualitative methods to extract the self-directed learning strategies used by high performing students. According to the results of this study, the self-directed learning strategies of excellent students could be categorized into fundamental strategies to induce self-directed learning, preparatory strategies, implementation strategies and management strategies for marinating self-directed learning. Detail information on each category is as follow: 1) fundamental strategies refer to positive and pleasant mind, academic confidence and effort attribution, 2) preparatory strategies refer to concrete and challenging goal setting, establishment of learning strategies adjusted courses characteristics and practical learning planning, 3) implementation strategies refer to intensive learning in class, knowledge exploration, knowledge acquisition, social networking and exhaustive preparation for exams and 4) management strategies refer to time management and learning environment management.
self-directed learning strategies;high academic achievers;excellent students;successful learning methods;qualitative methodology
- 김정미 ․ 김신헌 ․ 김종근 ․ 박희주 ․ 장철호(2011). U-CLASS 시스템 기반의 대학생 학업성취 분석. 정보과학회논문지, 17(7): 426-433.
- 김태유 ․ 이병기 ․ 김도연(1998). 공학기술자의 리더쉽 배양과 활용방안에 관한 연구, 공학교육, 1(1): 70-71.
- 김혜온 ․ 김수정(2008). 대학생을 위한 자기주도학습기술. 서울: 학지사.
- 박동욱(2007). 1등 학원 경영기술. 서울: 미래와 경영.
- 성태제(2005). 타당도와 신뢰도. 서울: 학지사.
- 신민희(2009). 공과대학 학생들의 자기조절 학습능력 수준에 관한 연구. 공학교육연구, 12(4): 84-92.
- 이혜정 ․ 성은모(2011). 대학교육에서 대학생 중심의 교수설계를 위한 최우수 학습자의 학습특성 및 학습전략 탐색. 교육공학연구. 27(1): 1-35.
- 천호재(2010). 좌석 선택으로 본 한국인 대학생의 심리. 일본어교육연구, 18: 171-189.
- Garner, R.(1990). When children and adults do not use learning strategies: Toward a theory of settings. Review of Educational Research, 60(4): 517-529. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543060004517
- Ames, C., & Jennifer A.(1988). Achievement goals in the classroom: Students' learning strategies and motivation processes. Journal of Educational Psychology, 80(3): 260-267. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.520
- Boyatzis, R.(1998). Transforming qualitative information: Thematic analysis and code development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Eills, D.(2006). Becoming a master student (Eleventh Edition). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Knowles, M.(1984). Adragogy in action. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Linden, J. M. & Fercman, C.(1998). Youth leadership: A guide to understanding leadership development in adolescent. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Schunk, D. H., & Ertmer, P. A.(2000). Self-regulation and academic learning: self-efficacy enhancing interventions. In: Boekaerts, M., Pintrich, P. R. and Zeidner, M., Handbook of self-regulation (pp. 631-649), San Diego: Academic Press.
- Zimmerman, B. J.(1990). Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: An overview. Educational Psychologist, 25(1): 3-17. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2501_2
- Zimmerman, B. J.(2000). Attainment of self-regulation: A social cognitive perspective. In M. Boekaerts, P. R. Pintrich, & M. Zeidner(Eds.), Handbook of self-regulation (pp. 13-39). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Zimmerman, B. J., & Marcinez-Ponz, M.(1988). Construct validation of a strategy model of student self-regulated learning. Journal of Educational Psychology, 89: 284-290.