- Volume 12 Issue 4
A surface mount device (SMD) assembles electronic components on printed circuit boards (PCB). Since a component assembly process is a bottleneck process in a PCB assembly line, making an efficient SMD plan is critical in increasing the PCB assembly line productivity. Feeder assignment is an important part of the SMD plan optimization. In this paper, we propose a feeder re-assign improvement algorithm for a specific type of SMD machine with a piano type multi-head gantry. Computational results on some real-world benchmark data sets show the effectiveness of our proposed algorithm.
Surface Mount Device;PCB Assembly;Feeder Assignment;Optimization;Improvement
- Sun, D. S., Lee, T. E., and Kim, K. H. (2005), Component allocation and feeder arrangement for a dualgantry multi-head surface mounting placement tool, International Journal of Production Economics, 95(2), 245-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2004.01.003
- Tirpak, T. M. (1993), Simulation software for surface mount assembly, Proceedings of the 25th Conference on Winter Simulation, Los Angeles, CA, 796-803.
- Van Laarhoven, P. J. and Zijm, W. H. M. (1993), Production preparation and numerical control in PCB assembly, International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems, 5(3), 187-207. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01328741
- Wilhelm, W. E. and Tarmy, P. K. (2003), Circuit card assembly on tandem turret-type placement machines, IIE Transactions, 35(7), 627-645. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170304357
- Wilhelm, W. E., Arambula, I., and Choudhry, N. N. D. (2006), Optimizing picking operations on dual-head placement machines, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 3(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASE.2005.860992
- Ayob, M. and Kendall, G. (2004), A nozzle selection heuristic to optimise the hybrid pick and place machine, Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems, Singapore, 1260-1265.
- Ayob, M. and Kendall, G. (2005), An on-line constructive heuristic to optimise the hybrid pick and place machine, School of CSIT, The University Of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- Ayob, M. and Kendall, G. (2008), A survey of surface mount device placement machine optimisation: machine classification, European Journal of Operational Research, 186(3), 893-914. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2007.03.042
- Duman, E. and Or, I. (2004), Precedence constrained TSP arising in printed circuit board assembly, International Journal of Production Research, 42(1), 67-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540310001601073
- Grunow, M., Gunther, H. O., Schleusener, M., and Yilmaz, I. O. (2004), Operations planning for collectand-place machines in PCB assembly, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 47(4), 409-429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2004.09.007
- Lee, S. H., Lee, B. H., and Park, T. H. (2000), A hierarchical method to improve the productivity of multihead surface mounting machines, Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, 6(4), 291-301. https://doi.org/10.1080/10798587.2000.10642797
- Leipala, T. and Nevalainen, O. (1989), Optimization of the movements of a component placement machine, European Journal of Operational Research, 38(2), 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(89)90101-X