- Volume 3 Issue 4
Tidal-current power is now recognized as a clean power resource. The turbine blade is the fundamental component of a tidal current power turbine. The kinetic energy available within a tidal current can be converted into rotational power by turbine blades. While in service, turbine blades are generally subjected to cyclic fatigue loading due to their rotation and the rotor-tower interaction. Predicting the fatigue life under a hydrodynamic fatigue load is very important to prevent blade failure while in service. To predict the fatigue life, hydrodynamic load data should be acquired. In this study, the vibration characteristics were analyzed based on three-dimensional unsteady simulations to obtain the cyclic fatigue load. Our results can be applied to the fatigue design of horizontal-axis tidal turbines.
Rotor-tower interaction;Computational fluid dynamics (CFD);Vibration;Horizontal-axis turbine (HAT);Renewable energy
- Chul-Hee Jo, Do-Youb Kim, Yu-Ho Rho, Kang-Hee Lee and Cameron Johnstone, "FSI analysis of deformation along offshore pile structure for tidal current power", Renewable Energy, Vol. 54 p.248-252, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.07.018
- Ian A. Milne, Alexander H. Day, Rajnish N. Sharma, Richard G.J. Flay and Simon Bicker-ton, "Tidal Turbine Blade Load Experiments for Oscillatory Motion", 9th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2011, Proceed-ings CD, 96th.
- Shigeo YOSHIDA and Soichiro KIYOKI, "Load Equivalent Tower Shadow Modeling for Downwind Turbines", Journal of Japan Wind Energy Association, Vol. 31 p.77-85, 2007.
- Frederik Zahle, Niels N. Sorensen and Jeppe Johansen, "Wind Turbine Rotor-Tower Interaction Using an Incompressible Overset Grid Method", Wind Energy, Vol.12 p.594-619, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.327
- Matthias Arnold, Frank Biskup, Denis Matha and Po Wen Cheng, "Simulation of Rotor-Foundation-Interaction on Tidal Current Tur-bines with Computational Fluid Dynamics", EWTEC 2013 proceedings.
- D. McSwiggan, T. Littler, D. J. Morrow and J. Kennedy, "Wind Turbine Rotor-Tower Interaction Using an Incompressible Overset Grid Method", Wind Energy, Vol.12 p.594-619, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.327