- Volume 22 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Comparison on Usefulness of Sampling Methods of Indoles in Airs from Swine Facility by Tenax-TA and SPME
Yu, Mee-Seon;Lee, Jae-Chun;Yang, Sung-Bong;Kim, Doo-Hwan;Cho, Sung-Back;Whang, Ok-Wha
- Received : 2013.11.14
- Accepted : 2013.12.26
- Published : 2013.12.31
The purpose of this study is to compare the sampling methods for monitoring indoles (phenol, p-cresol, indole and skatole) in airs of swine facility. As the collecting methods of indoles in air, Tenax-TA adsorption tube and solid phase microextraction (SPME) were examined. For the preparation of calibration curves of indoles concentrated in Tenax-TA, the standard indoles solutions were spiked in each of Tenax-TA tubes and thermally desorbed (ATD) into a gas chromatograph combined with mass detector (GC/MS). And for the preparation of calibration curves by SPME, indoles in the standard gaseous solution prepared by evaporating the aqueous solution that contained indoles into a polyester sampling bag were extracted with SPME fiber and subsequently analyzed by the GC/MS. Two sampling methods were evaluated for extracting indoles present in swine building environments. Results indicated that the SPME method using Polydimethylsiloxane/ Divinylbenzene (PDMS/DVB) fiber was more effective than Tenax-TA method in extracting indoles. The gas chromatographic analysis showed that the linearities of calibration curves and detection limits were useful for detection of indoles in swine airs. The field tests also showed that considerably different levels of indoles were present in various parts of the swine building.
- Cai, L., Koziel, J. A., Lo, Y. C., Hoff, S. J., 2006, Characterization of volatile organic compounds and odorants associated with swine barn particulate matter using solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry- olfactometry, Journal of Chromatography A, 1102, 60-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2005.10.040
- EPA, 1999, Compendium of Methods for the Determination of Toxic Organic Compounds in Ambient Air: Method TO-01, 02, and 17; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Kim, S. Y., Kim, Y., Chae, H. J., 2003, Isolation and characterization of microorganisms for the development of fermentation accelerator of animal manure, Korea L. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 18(6), 466-472. (Korean)
- Ko, B. C., Park, Y. H., Kim, D. I., Lee, M. G., Kam, S. K., 2013, Odor removal characteristics of biofilters in domestic sewage treatment facilities analyzing composite odor and odor quotient, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 22(1), 109-117. (Korean) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2013.22.1.109
- Hong, J. H., 2007, Manure compost biofiltration from solid waste compositing, J. Korean Society of Urban Enviroment, 7(2), 1-5. (Korean)
- Hobbs, P. J., Misselbrook, T. H., Pain, B. F., 1995, Assessment of odours from livestock wastes by a photoionization detector, an electronic nose, olfactometry and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, J. Agric. Eng Res., 60, 137-144 https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1995.1007
- Hobbs, P. J., Misselbrook, T. H. and Cumby, T. R., 1999, Production and emission of odorous and gases from ageing pig waste. J. Agric. Eng Res. 72, 291-298 https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1998.0372
- Hoshika, Y. and Muto, G., 1978, Gas chromatographic determination of ppb level concentration of phenols in air using Tenax-GC and alkaline precolumns (Jaanese), Bunseki Kagaku, 27, 273-277. https://doi.org/10.2116/bunsekikagaku.27.5_273
- Larreta, J., Vallejo, A., Bilbao, U., Alonso, A., Arana, G., Zuloaga, O., 2006, Experimental design to optimise the analysis of organic volatile compounds in cow slurry by headspace solid-phase microextractiongas chromatography-mass spectrometry, J. of Chromatography A, 1136, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2006.09.062
- Lee, E. Y., 2008, Problems and verification system of probioticts as livestock-environment improving agent produced and circulated, Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 36(2), 87-95.
- NIOSH, 1996, Volatile organic compounds (Screening). In NIOSH Manual of analytical methods, 4th ed., National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
- Oh, Y. S., Kim, K. H., Hoo, Y. S., Kim, M. S., Seol, M. J., Chon, S. S., Choi, Y. J., Ahn, D. H, 2006, Odor emission characteristics in livestock waste treatment facilities, Korean Journal od Odor Research and Engineering, 5(1), 1-9. (Korean)
- Razote, E., Jeon, I., Maghirang, R., and Chobpattana, W., 2002, Dynamic air sampling of volatile organic compounds using solid phase microextraction, J. Environ. Sci. Health, B37(4), 365-378.
- Tanaka, H., Kuroda, K., Osada, T., Yonaga, M., Suzuki, M. and Inaba, M., 1991, Aerial VFA in Livestock Houses and Animal Waste Treatment Facilities, Anim. Sci. Technol. (Jpn.), 62(10), 955-962.
- Willig, S., Lacorn, M. and Claus, R., 2004, Development of a rapid and accurate method for the determination of key compounds of pig odor, J. of Chromatography A, 1038, 11-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2004.03.007
- Yo, Shao-Pin, 1999, Analysis of volatile fatty acids in wastewater collected from a pig farm by a solid phase microextraction method, Chemosphere, 38(4), 823-834. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(98)00223-9
- Yu., M. S., 2012, Final report of study on investigation of offensive odor and establishment of strategy for abatement of malodor from livestock industry in Ulsan, Ulsan Green Environment. (Korean)
- Yu, Y. H., 2004, Strategy for abatement of malodors from pig houses, J. Subtropical Agri. & Biotech., Cheju Nat'l Univ., 20(2), 71-89. (Korean)
- Zhan, J. A., Hatfield, J. L., Do, Y. S., Dispirito, A. A, Laird, D. A., Pfeiffer, R. L., 1997, Characterization of volatile organic emissions and wastes from swine production facility, J. Environ. Qual., 26, 1687-1696.
- Zhang, S., Cai, L., Koziel, J. A., Hoff, S. J., Schmidt, D. R., Clanton, C. J., Jacobson, L., Parker, D. B. and Herber, A. J., 2010, Field air sampling and simultaneous chemical and sensory analysis of livestock odorants with sorbent tubes and GC-MS/olfactometry, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 146, 427-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2009.11.028
- Rapid and Simultaneous Determination of Volatile Fatty Acids and Indoles in Pig Slurry and Dog Excrement by Solid-Phase Micro-Extraction Method with Gas Chromatography vol.23, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.10.1693
- Teratogenicity and volatile composition evaluation of soymilk fermented with a Deinococcus member vol.4, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7243/2056-3779-4-1