- Volume 22 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Gumi City Sewage Treatment Effluent in the Downstream Nutrient Matter: Comparison of Daily Loading
구미시 하수처리 방류수가 하류 하천 영양염류에 미치는 영향: 부하량 비교
- Received : 2013.04.25
- Accepted : 2013.06.12
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study investigated water quality of effluents and stream from the sewage treatment plants located at Gumi Complex 4, Gumi, and Wonpyeong in Gumi. Downstream region was found to increase the concentration of nutrients for sewage treatment plant effluent. Both phosphorus and nitrogen were accounted most as soluble form. In particular, the high ratio of dissolved effluent of sewage treatment plants were investigated. In the streams, Phosphorus concentration was high during rainy season and nitrogen concentration was high in the dry season. Sewage treatment plant effluent was relatively less microbial activity and nutrient concentrations were higher in the winter. TN/TP ratio was the highest in the upstream region and the lowest in the sewage treatment plant effluent. The effect of the nutrient matter from a discharge of a sewage treatment plant on rivers varied depending on the size of the river and the treatment plant. However, the influence of the concentration was greater than that of flowrate. Sewage treatment plant effluent loads phosphorus, nitrogen accounted for 8% and 6% respectively at the point N3 of the Nakdong river.
Effluent;Sewage treatment plant;Soluble form;TN/TP ratio;Nutrient matter
- Byun, J. D., Kim, T. D., Jung, B. H., Shin, T. S., Kim, H. O., 2010, TOC as a potential index for organic contents of wastewater treatment plant effluents, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Anal., 13(2), 99-103.
- Downing, J. A., E. McCauley, 1992, The nitrogen: phosphorus relationship in lakes, Limnol. Oceanogr., 37, 936-945. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1992.37.5.0936
- Edmonson, W. T., Lehman, J. L., 1981, The effect of changes in the nutrient income on the condition of lake Washington, Limnol. Oceanogr., 26, 1-29. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1981.26.1.0001
- Heo, W. M., Kim, B. C., Cho, K. S., 1991, The bluegreen algal blooms in Lake Soyang and the change of N/P ratio with eutrophication, Kor. J. Limnol., 24(4), 283-288.
- Hong, J. H., Sohn, J. S., 2004, Treatment efficiency and organic matter characterization of wastewater through activated sludge process and advanced wastewater treatment process. J. Kor. Soc. Water and Wastewater, 18(6), 807-813.
- Huh, I. R., Choi, J. Y., Kim, Y. J., Jeong, U. H., 2005, Effect of municipal sewage treatment plant on water quality in Western Kangwon Area, Kor. L. Env. Hlth., 31(4), 235-240.
- Hwang, K. L., Hwang, D. H., Paik, D. H., Lee, H. K., 2004, Study on allocation of pollution discharges by watershed and administrative regions with pollution sources for the TMDL(Total Maximum Daily Load) in Tamjin River, Kor. L. Env. Hlth., 30(5), 449-454.
- Institute of Health and Environment, 1996, Seomgang watershed water quality survey report.
- Jarvie, H. P., Whitton, B. A., Neal, C., 1998, Nitrogen and phosphorus in east coast British rivers: speciation, sources and biological significance, Sci. Total Environ., 210/211, 79-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(98)00109-0
- Jung, J. H., Lee, S. J., Lee, S. S., Han, S. K., Lee, Y. M., Kwak, M. A., Shin, J. S., 2000, The effect of sewage treatment plant discharge upon stream water quality, Report of S.I.H.E., 36, 312-316.
- Kim, K. S., Cho, Y. H., Lee, S. H., Shin, Y. K., Nam, H. W., Ahn, T. S., Byeon, H. K., Bae, Y. S., 2004, The effect of the final effluent in the Seonam sewage treatment plant on water quality and ecosystem of the Hangang River, The Seoul Institute Publication, 5(2), 59-68.
- Kwak, M. A., Jung, J. H., Eo, S. M., Lee, H. K., 2004, The assessment on the effect of discharge and variation of water quality from the sewage treatment plants in Seoul, Kor. J. Sanitation, 19(3), 1-13.
- Lee, S. M., Shin, I. S., Eo, M. C., Choi, B. J., 2003, The study on the removal of organics by small-decentralized sewage treatment in Kangwon-do, Kor. J. Env. Hlth., 29(5), 71-77.
- Lee, T. H., Park, M. H., Lee, B. M., Hur, J., Yang, H. J., 2009, Effects of the characteristics of influent wastewater on removal efficiencies for organic matters in wastwater treatment plants, J. Kor. Soc. Water Quality, 25(5), 674-681.
- Lee, T. H., Lee, B. M., H, J., Jung, M. S., Kang, T. G., 2010, Conversion of CODMn into TOC and refractory organic matter concentrations for treated sewage using regression equations. J. Kor. Soc. Water Quality, 26(6), 969-975.
- Mainstone, C. P., Parr, W., 2002, Phosphorus in riversecology and management, Sci. Total Environ., 282/283, 25-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(01)00937-8
- McCauley, E., J. A. Downing, S. Watson, 1989, Sigmoid relationships between nutrients and chlorophyll among lakes, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 46, 1171-1175. https://doi.org/10.1139/f89-152
- Redfield, A. C., 1958, The biological control of chemical factors in the evironment, Am. Sci., 46, 205-221.
- Rim, C. S., Shin, J. K., Cho, K. J., 2000, The trend and assessment of water pollution from midstream to downstream of the Kum River, Kor. J. Limnol., 33(1), 51-60.
- Schindler, D. W., 1974, Eutrophication and recovery in experimental lakes: implications for lake management, Sci., 184, 897-899. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.184.4139.897
- Schindler, D. W., 1997, Evolution of phosphorus limitation in lake, Sci., 195, 260-262.
- Seo, H. J., Kang, Y. J., Min, K. W., Seo, G. Y., Kim, S. H., Paik, K. J., Kim, S. J., 2010, characteristics of distribution and decomposition of organic matters in stream water and sewage effluent, J. Analytical Science and Technology, 23(1), 36-44. https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2010.23.1.036
- Seong, J. U., Park, J. C., 2012, Effects of sewage effluent on organic matters of Nakdong River: Comparison of daily loading, Kor. J. Limnol., 45(2), 210-217.
- Shin, J. K., Cho, J. L., Hwang, S. J., Cho, K. J., 2000, Eutrophication and water pollution characteristics of the Kyongan Stream to Paltang Reservoir, Kor. J. Limnol., 33(4), 387-394.
- Shin, J. K., Cho, K. J., 2000, The impact on water quality from blue-green algae microcystis of natural phytoplankton by algal assay, J. Environ. Sci., 9(4), 267-273.
- Smith, V. H, 1986, Light and nutrient effects on the relative biomass of blue-green algae in lake phytoplankton. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 43, 148-153. https://doi.org/10.1139/f86-016
- Wetzel, R. G.(ed.), 2001, Limnology 3rd edition, Academic Press.
- Withers, P. J. A., Lord, E. I., 2002, Agricultural nutrient inputs to rivers and groundwaters in the UK: policy, environmental management and research needs, Sci. Total Environ., 282/283, 9-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(01)00935-4