- Volume 22 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Spatial and Temporal Variability of Phytoplankton in Relation to Environmental Factors in Youngil Bay
영일만 수질환경과 식물플랑크톤의 시·공간적 분포
- Received : 2013.07.03
- Accepted : 2013.12.13
- Published : 2013.12.31
We investigated the spatial and temporal variations of phytoplankton in Youngil Bay as well as the effect of water physico-chemical parameters. Water samples at three stations were collected and measured monthly from May to November in 2010. The taxa of phytoplankton observed in this study were classified as 33 Bacillariophyceae, 23 Dinophyceae, 1 Euglenophyceae, 2 Crysophyceae and 1 Cryptophyceae. The highest biomass of phytoplankton was observed at inner station in September, which was characterized high concentration of dissolved inorganic phosphate(DIP) in surface water after rainfall. Nutrient concentrations, chlorophyll-a and phytoplankton biomass values showed the marked trend to decrease from the inner bay to the outer bay. Pearson's correlation co-efficient between salinity and other water parameters including chlorophyll-a, pH and DIP showed the strong negative relationship r=-0.82, r=-0.78 and r=-0.75 (p<0.01), respectively. These results indicate that the water quality of Youngil Bay could be stimulated by nutrient enriched input from Hyeogsan River discharge, and the spatial and temporal distribution of phytoplankton biomass principally limited to DIP concentration from Hyeogsan river.
Phytoplankton;Chlorophyll-a;Nutrients;Pearson's correlation co-efficient
- Cecilia, A. P., Jorge, E. M., 2008, Spatial and temporal variability of phytoplankton and environmental factors in a temperate estuary of South America(Atlantic coast, Argentina), Continental Shelf Research, 28, 236-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2007.08.001
- Choi, K. H., 1993, Oceanographic properties of the Yeongil Bay, Thesis, Pukyong National University, Busan Korea, pp. 47.
- Conley, D. J., 2000, Biogeochemical nutrient cycles and nutrient management strategies, Hydrobiologia, 410, 87-96.
- David, H. M., 1995, Marine life and the sea, Wadsworth publishing company, pp. 51-79.
- Fisher, T. R., Peele, E. R., Ammerman, J. W., Harding, L., 1992, Nutrient limitation of phytoplankton in Chesapeake Bay, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 82, 51-63. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps082051
- Forsberg, C., Ryding, S. O., 1980, Eutrophication parameters and trophic state indices in 30 Swedish waste-receiving lakes. Arch. Hydrobiol., 89, 189-207.
- Graneli, E. K., Wallstrom, U., Laesson W., Graneli, W., Elmgren, R., 1990, Nutrient limitation of primary production in Baltic Sea Area, AMBIO, 19, 142-151.
- Hecky, R. E., Kilham, P., 1988, Nutrient limitation of phytoplankton in freshwater and marine environment: a review of recent evidence on the effect enrichment, Limnol. Oceanogr., 33, 796-822. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1988.33.4_part_2.0796
- Hong, A. R., 2009, Spatio-temporal variation of phytoplankton community in Yeong-il Bay, Korea, Thesis, Pukyung National University, Pusan, Korea, pp. 58.
- Jennifer, C., Mary, O., Alan, D. S., 2008, Phytoplankton response to light and internal phosphorus loading from sediment release, Freshwater Biol., 53, 2530-2542. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.2008.02079.x
- Jin, L., Hongjuan, W., Mengqiu, C., 2011, Effect of nitrogen and phosphorous on phytoplankton composition and biomass in 15 subtropical, urban shallow lakes in Wuhan, China, Limnologica, 41, 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.limno.2010.03.003
- Jung, S. W., Park, J. K., Jeong, D. H., Lim, D. I., 2012, Seasonal changes in water masses and phytoplankton communities in the western part of south coastal waters, Korea, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 30(4), 328-338. https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2012.30.4.328
- Jo, E. Y., Cha, J. H., Kim M. K., Kim, K.T., 2000, Studies on the ecosystem in the Yeong-il Gulf of Korea, I. Species composition and diversity of phytoplankton communities, Algae, 15(1), 49-59.
- Kang, Y. S., Kim, K. Y., Shim J. M., Sung K. T., Park J. I., Kong J. Y., 2002, Spatio-temporal variations of water quality in Yongil Bay, J. Korean Fish. Soc., 35(4), 431-437. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.4.431
- Kim, K. T., 1992, The Study of the East-Western Sea of Korea. Yeungnam University Press, Kyeongsan, Korea, 170-237.
- Kim, Y. S., Kim, Y. S., 2004, The Effect of freshwater inflow on the spatio-temporal variation of water quality of Yeongil Bay, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 22(1), 57-65.
- Kocum, E., Underwood, G. J. C., Nedwell, D. B., 2002, Simultaneous measurement of phytoplanktonic primary production, nutrient and light availability along a turbid, eutrophic UK east coast estuary(the Colne Estuary), Marine Ecology Progress Series, 231, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps231001
- Lee, J. S., Kim, C. K., Kim, J. H., Lim, K. B., 1995, Current structures and diffusion characteristics in Youngil Bay, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 30(5), 467-479.
- Lee, M. K., Lim, D. I., Um, I. K., Shin, E. B., Jung, H. S., 2003, Seasonal variation and spatial distribution of water qualities in Youngil Bay, southeast coast of Korea, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Engineers, 25(7), 898-908.
- Lee, T. W., 1999, Seasonal variation in species composition of demersal fish in Yongil Bay, east coast of Korea, J. Korean fish. Soc. 32, 512-519.
- Lie, H. J., Suk, M. S., Kim, C. H., 1989, Observations of southeastward deep currents off the east coast of Korea, J. Oceanogr. Soc. Korea, 24(2), 63-68.
- MLTMA, 2010, Standard methods of marine environment, Korea, pp. 495.
- Pennock, J. R., Sharp, J. H., 1994, Temporal alternation between light nutrient-limitation of phytoplankton in a coastal plain estuary, Marine Ecology Progress Series, 111, 275-288. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps111275
- Shim, J. H., Bae, S. J., 1985, The distribution of phytoplankton in Yeongil Bay, Korea, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 20, 49-60.
- Shim, J. H., Yeo, H. G., Park, J. G., 1995, Primary production system in the southern waters of the East Sea, Korea, (II) The structure of phytoplankton community, J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 30(3), 163-169.
- Thomas, C. R., 1977, Identifying marine phytoplankton, Florida Marine Research Institute, St. Petersburg, Academic Press, pp. 858.
- Yoon, Y. H., Kim, S. A., 1996, Seasonal variation of phytoplankton population and primary productivity in the southern coastal waters of Korea,, J. Environ. Soc. Korea, 5(3), 347-359.
- Phytoplankton Spring Bloom and Environmental Factors in the Southern East Sea, Korea vol.30, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.02.30.1.19
Supported by : 국립수산과학원