- Volume 22 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Economic Impacts of Abnormal Climate on Fall Chinese Cabbage Farmers and Consumers
이상기후 발생이 가을배추 생산자 및 소비자에게 미치는 영향
- Cho, Jae-Hwan ;
- Suh, Jeong-Min ;
- Kang, Jum-Soon ;
- Hong, Chang-Oh ;
- Shin, Hyun-Moo ;
- Lee, Sang Gyu ;
- Lim, Woo-Taik
- Received : 2013.09.03
- Accepted : 2013.11.25
- Published : 2013.12.31
The purpose of this article is analyzing the economic impacts of abnormal climate on fall chinese cabbage farmers and consumers in Korea, with employing the equilibrium displacement model. Our results show that there were little difference in gross farm income, even though there were significant yield reductions due to abnormal climate changes. However periodic occurrences of abnormal climates caused serious damage to consumption levels which had declined by 10.6~17.1 percent with higher prices by 15.3~24.6 percent than normal climate years since 1990.
Fall chinese cabbage;Equilibrium displacement model;Economic impacts;Abnormal climate;Climate change scenarios
- Cho, J. H., Sakong Y., Lee J. H., 1995, Guidebook for Using the Outlook Models for Comprehensive Indicators in Agricultural sector, Korea Rural Economic Institute.
- Cho, J. H., Sung, M. H., Sakong Y., 1994, Modeling and Predictions for the Korean Agricultural Sector, Korea Rural Economic Institute, R314.
- Davis G. C., M. C. Espinoza, 1998, A Unified Approach to Sensitivity Analysis in Equilibrium Displacement Models, Am. J. Agric. Econ., 80, 868-879. https://doi.org/10.2307/1244070
- Han. S. H., Kim, B. Y., 2004, Prospects and Simulation Model of Chinese Cabbage Under Open Market, Rural Economy, 27(3), 35-53.
- Kwon, O. S., Roh, J. S., Suh, Y., 2012, An Input-output and CGE Analysis of the Economic Impacts of Agricultural Production Losses due to Abnormal Weather in Korea, Kor. J. Agric. Econ., 53(2).
- Kim, Y. J., Kim, b. S. , Song, S. H. Park, Y. K., 2006, The Seasonal Cabbage Model, Korea Rural Economic Institute, Working Paper, W28.
- Korea Environment Institute, 2009, The Economic Analysis on Climate Change in Korea(I).
- Lee, Y. S., Jung, H. K., Sim, S. B., 2005, A Study on Determinants of Seasonal Supply and Price of Produce in Korea: With Special Emphasis on Weather, Korea Rural Economic Institute.
- Ministry of Environment, 2011. The Economic Analysis on Climate Change in Korea(II).
- Moschini, G. and A. Vissa, 1992, A Linear Inverse Demand System. J. Agric. Resour. Econ., 17, 292-302.
- National Institute of Meteorological Research, 2010, Understanding of Climate Change and Application of Climate Change Scenarios.
- Nerlove, M., 1958, The Dynamics of Supply; Estimation of Farmer's Response to Price. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University.
- Palatnik, R.R., R. Roson, 2009, Climate Change Assessment and Agriculture in General Equilibrium Models: Alternative Modeling Strategies, FEEM Working Paper, 8.
- Development of Prediction Growth and Yield Models by Growing Degree Days in Hot Pepper vol.27, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12791/KSBEC.2018.27.4.424
Supported by : 농촌진흥청