- Volume 29 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Prediction of End Bearing Capacity for Pre-Bored Steel Pipe Piles Using Instrumented Spt Rods
SPT 에너지효율 측정 롯드를 이용한 매입말뚝의 선단지지력 예측
- Nam, Moon S. (Research Institute, Korea Expressway Corporation) ;
- Park, Young-Ho (Research Institute, Korea Expressway Corporation) ;
- Park, Yong-Seok (Research Institute, Korea Expressway Corporation)
- Received : 2013.11.01
- Accepted : 2013.12.03
- Published : 2013.12.31
The standard penetration test (SPT) has been widely used because of its usability, economy, and many correlations with soil properties among other factors. In SPT, hammer energy is an important factor to evaluate and calibrate N values. To measure hammer energy, an instrumented SPT rod was developed considering that stress waves transferring on rods during SPT driving are the same as stress waves transferring on piles due to pile driving. Using this idea, an instrumented SPT rod with a pile driving analyzer was applied as a pile capacity prediction tool in this study. In order to evaluate this method, SPT and dynamic cone tests with the instrumented SPT rod were conducted and also 2 pile load tests were performed on pre-bored steel pipe piles at the same test site. End bearings were predicted by CAPWAP analysis on force and velocity waves from dynamic cone penetration tests and SPT. Comparing these predicted end bearings with static pile load tests, a new prediction method of the end bearing capacity using the instrumented SPT rod was proposed.
- Alvarez, C., Zuckerman, B., and Lemke, J. (2006), "Dynamic Pile Analysis Using CAPWAP and Multiple Sensors", GeoCongress 2006: Geotechnical Engineering in the Information Technology Age, ASCE, pp.1-5.
- Lee, C. H. and Lee, W. J. (2005), "Ratio of Hammer Energy and Dynamic Efficiency of Standard Penetration Test", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.21. No.9, pp.5-12.
- Nam, M. S. (2006), "Design of IGM Socketed Drilled Shafts Using Texas Cone Penetrometer Tests", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.22 No.10, pp.55-68.
- Nam, M. S. and Vipulanandan, C. (2010), "Relationship between Texas Cone Penetrometer Tests and Axial Resistances of Drilled Shafts Socketed in Clay Shale and Limestone", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.136, No.8, pp.1161-1165. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000318
- Park, Y. H., Kim, N. Y., Lee, B. J., Lee, K. H., Kim, I. H., and Park, Y. S. (2010), "Practiacl Application of Semi-Integral Abutment Bridge", Report No. EXTRI-2011-12-534.9607, Expressway & Transportation Research Institute, Korea Expressway Corporation.
- TxDOT (Texas Department of Transportation) (2000), "Geotechnical Manual (On-line Version)", Texas Department of Transportation, Bridge Division, Austin, Texas.
- Hammer Efficiency and Correction Factors for the TxDOT Texas Cone Penetration Test vol.35, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-017-0234-8
- Texas cone penetrometer foundation design method: Qualitative and quantitative assessment pp.1937-5255, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/19375247.2018.1536409