- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Current Status and Issues Pertaining to Vertical Separation between Infrastructure and operation of the Korean Railway
철도 상하 분리의 현상과 과제에 관한 연구
- Lee, Yongsang (Department of Railroad Management, Woosong University) ;
- Chung, Byunghyun (Department of Transportation & Logistics, Woosong University)
- Received : 2013.10.07
- Accepted : 2013.11.20
- Published : 2013.12.31
This paper analyzes the outcomes of railway reform in the form of vertical separation between the infrastructure and operation since 2004 in Korea. For the analysis, the paper reviewed theoretical issues and case studies of European and Japanese railway reforms efforts. By doing this, we find the implications and a standard model, most useful. Moreover, based on this analysis, the paper reviewed the status of the accomplishment of goals, including solution to current account deficits, improvements in competitiveness and greater efficiency of operations. Finally, the paper highlighted improvement measures to address the problems of railway vertical separation in Korea. This paper suggests specifications pertaining to rail policy and control methods; tower foundation and negotiations and mentions ways to establish legal institutionalization and to secure stable rail system investments in railway in Korea.
- Masamichi Hori (2004) The Separation of Infrastructure and Operation in the Railway System and the Rail Access Charge, Takazaki Keigai University Journal, 47(1), pp. 45-57.
- Saito Takahiko (2002) The economic basis for separation policy of operation from infrastructure, Seijo University Economic Papers, 158, p.69.
- Colloquium paper (2002) A separation methods of transport sector, The Journal of Transport Policy, 5(3), pp.67.
- Tadenuma Yoshimasa (1998) A study on Applying a Vertical Separation System for Railway Network Improvement, Journal of Transport Policy, 1(3), pp.40-42.
- Y.-S. Lee (2008) The Comparative Study of the UK and Japan's Rail Privatization, Focusing on Policy Process and Outcomes, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 11(1), pp.86.
- Didier de Velde (2012) EVES-Rail, Economic effects of vertical separation in the railway sector, summary report pp.13.