- Volume 15 Issue 4
This study aims to explore age-related differences with the assessment tools in the web-based 3D virtual model house and to propose the 3D model house criteria which everyone can use easily. The participants came from three age groups, ranging from their 20s to their over 40. Presence, Usability and Space perception and cognition in the experiment for navigating and evaluating the web-based 3D model house were measured and compared through one-way ANOVA and two-way ANOVA. The results and conclusions are as follows. (1) The younger the participants were, the more positive they evaluated the experiment on Presence. However, 20s needed higher presence than other two groups. (2) 30s and over 40 groups evaluated that the 3D virtual model house was more efficient than an actual model house on Usability. When the participants were younger, the values of 'expressivity' factor were higher. (3) The younger the participants were, the more positive they perceived the virtual environment (VE) on Space perception and cognition scale. There were no significant differences in the selection of dwelling size and the floor plan type. There were no significant differences of interaction effects between age and online gaming experience on Presence and Usability. The results of the current study demonstrate that there are differences among age groups and older groups have difficulty navigating and assessing in a VE. Although older groups take longer to adapt in the VE, they regard the 3D model house as an effective tool for purchase of house.
Web-based 3D Virtual Model House;Presence;Usability;Spatial Perception and Cognition
- Head, D. & Isom, M. (2010) Age effects on wayfinding and route learning skills. Behavioural Brain Research, 209, 49-58 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2010.01.012
- Iaria, G. et al. (2009) Age differences in the formation and use of cognitive maps. Behavioural Brain Research, 196, 187-191 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2008.08.040
- Kim, D.W. et al. (2009) A Study on the Interactive Virtual Model House to Increase Communication of Space Information. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, 25(4), 15-24.
- Kim, H.A. (2008) Housing demands characteristic analysis in metropolitan area by patterns of home buying. Construction & Economy Research Institute of Korea.
- Kim, S.H. & Kim, M.J. (2007) A Usability Evaluation on the Visualization Techniques of Web Retrieval Results. Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 41(3), 181-199. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2007.41.3.181
- Korea Land & Housing Corporation; http://www.lh.or.kr
- Lee, K.O. & Park, C.H. (2000) A Study on The Development of Internet Cyber Model House Based on QTVR, Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 1(2), 161-169
- Lee, S.H. & Kim, T.H. (2005) A Study on the Virtual Experience Evaluation (VEE) of Space Design through the Web3D. Journal of Korean Institute of Interior Design, 14(4), 122-133
- Lessiter, J., Freeman. J., Keogh, E., & Davidoff, J. (2001) A Cross-Media Presence Questionnaire: The ITC-Sense of Presence Inventory, Presence, 10(3), 282-297 https://doi.org/10.1162/105474601300343612
- Lim, D.H. (2001) A Study of Space Recognition from 3D Cyber Space -Concentrate on Observation Point of View, Unpublished master's thesis. Kookmin University
- Meijer, F. et al. (2009) Navigating through VEs: Visual Realism Improves Spatial Cognition. CyberPsychology & Behavior. 12(5), 517-521 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2009.0053
- New City Planning Division, Ministry of Construction & Transportation (2006) "Pangyo, 410,000 people participated Internet subscription." Press release. Korea Development Institute
- NSO; http://kostat.go.kr
- Oh, S.K. (2005) A Study on Model House Design for Elevation of Purchasing Power. Unpublished master's thesis. Konkuk University
- Samsung T & C Corporation; www.raemian.com
- Shin, Y.J. (2005) A basic study for the sense of real improvement in Virtual Reality. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, 21(7), 11-18.
- Shin, Y.S. (2011) 3-Dimension Panorama Virtual Reality A Study on Manufacture of Cyber Model House and Contents Utilization. Unpublished master's thesis. Kyonggi University
- Stevens, B. et al. (2002) Putting the Virtual into Reality: Assessing Object-Presence with Projection-Augmented Models, Presence. Teleoperators and Virtual Environments 11(1), 79-92 https://doi.org/10.1162/105474602317343677
- Yoo, H.K. (2010) A Study on Virtual Model Houses Through The Aesthetic Satisfaction and The Suitability of Website Design. Unpublished master's thesis. Sejong University
- Yoon, J.E. & Lee, J.K. (2002) A Study on the characteristics of model house designs applying a virtual reality technique, Journal of Korean Institute of Interior Design, 33, 106-114
- Kim, T.H. (2007) A Study on the Valid Verification of Virtual Space Experience through the Web. Journal of Korean Institute of Interior Design, 16(1), 126-134.
- Lessiter, J., Freeman. J., Keogh, E., & Davidoff, J. (2000) Development of a New Cross-Media Presence Questionnaire:The ITC-sense of Presence Inventory, Independent Television Commission (UK), Goldsmiths College
- Moffat, S.D., Zonderman, A.B., & Resnick, S.M. (2001) Age Differences in Spatial Memory in a Virtual Environment Navigation Task. Neurobiology of Aging, 22, 787-796 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4580(01)00251-2
- Park, S.B. & Yoon, S.Y. (2008) A Study on the User Evaluation for Media Form of Virtual Environment. Journal of Korean Institute of Interior Design, 17(5), 166-174.
- Turntool; www.turntool.com
- Academic methods for usability evaluation of serious games: a systematic review vol.76, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5659/AIKAR.2013.15.4.175
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)