- Volume 8 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Application Effects of Various Solidity of Mouth Guard on Torque and Power at Isokinetic Contraction in Shoulder : A Pilot Study
다양한 경도의 마우스가드의 착용이 어깨관절의 등속성 수축 시 토크 및 파워에 미치는 영향 : 예비 실험
- Received : 2013.08.20
- Accepted : 2013.09.20
- Published : 2013.11.30
PURPOSE: This study find out the effect of torque and power through various solidity of mouth guard on shoulder flexion and extension. METHODS: This study was conducted with healthy adults in their 20s Korean. Cybex system was used to measure the torque and power fo shoulder joint flexion/extension during isokinetic contraction when the various solidity mouth guard was used and no mouth guard was used. RESULT: The results of this study were summarized as follows: relative torque and average power was showed significantly difference between non applying mouth guard and applying hard type mouth guard during shoulder flexion and extension at isokinetic contraction. CONCLUSION: The application of hard type mouth guard was increased torque and power in joint of body. which may be clinically useful.
- Alomar X, Medrano J, Cabratosa J, et al. Anatomy of the temporomandibular joint. Seminars in Ultrasound. 2007;28(3):170-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sult.2007.02.002
- Ayub E. Head posture : A case study of the effect on the rest position of the mandible. J Orhtoped Sports Phys Ther. 1984;5:179. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.168
- Banky J, McCrory PR. Mouthguard use in Australian football. J Sci Med Sport. 1999;2(1):20-9.
- Darling DW, Kraus S, Glasheen-Wray MB. Relationship of head posture and the rest position of the mandible. J Prosthet Dent. 1984;52(1):111-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(84)90192-6
- Fanghanel J, Gedrange T. On the development, morphology and function of the temporomandibular joint in the light of the orofacial system. Ann Anat. 2007;189(4):314-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aanat.2007.02.024
- Karen A. Add power to your golf swing with strength and flexibility exercise. Executive Health's Good Health Report. 1999;35(8):6.
- Kim JS. The influence of the balance by occlusion on the muscular strength and driver head speed in playing golf. Graduate School. Pusan National University. Doctor's thesis. 2009.
- Lee SY, Hong MH, Park MC, et al. Effect of the MORA on the trunk and upper limb muscle activation during maximum isometric contraction. J Phys Ther Sci. 2013;8:Publish ahead.
- Newsome PR, Tran DC, Cooke MS. The role of the mouthguard in the prevention of sports-related dental injuries: a review. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2001;11(6):396-404. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0960-7439.2001.00304.x
- Park J, Shaull K, Overton B, et al. Improving mouth guards. J Prosthet Dent 1994;72:373-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(94)90556-8
- Stenger JM, Lawton EA, Wright JM, et al. Mouthguards: protection against shock to head, neck and teeth. J Am Dent Assoc. 1964;69:273-81. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1964.0290
- Won HJ. The effect of type of material and thickness of the mouth guard on the grip strength and physical balance. Graduate School. Catholic University of Pusan. Master's thesis. 2012.
Supported by : 경성대학교