- Volume 11 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Lower Body Meridian Hand Therapy on Change in Obese Women's Body Composition and Blood Lipid
하체 경락 수기요법이 비만 여성들의 신체구성과 혈중지질 변화에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Kwang-Soo (Dept. of Sports Science, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Han, Gil-Soo (Dept. of Sports Science, Soonchunhyang University)
- Received : 2013.09.16
- Accepted : 2013.11.20
- Published : 2013.11.28
This study was carried out to examine the impacts of lower body meridian hand therapy on changes in obese women's body composition and blood lipid. 30 obese women participated in the experiment carried out twice a week for 5 weeks on 15 subjects in lower body meridian hand therapy group and 15 lower-body bathing/lower body meridian hand therapy group. For changes in body composition, BMI, body fat and waist-hip ratio decreased in both groups, while for changes in blood lipid, TC, LDL-C and TG decreased while HDL-C increased by 0.98% in the former group while 1.12% in the latter group. Thus, the 5-week treatment of lower body meridian hand therapy was effective for improving body composition, decrease of blood lipid and of middle-aged obese women, so which can be recommended as lower body obesity management program in esthetics.
- Jong-Sung Kwon, Effect of 8 weeks weight Training on Body-fet and Blood Pressure for Obese Woman. Graduate School of Physical Education, Myongji University. 2009.
- Ghosh A, Effects of daily exercise on blood pressure, plasma glucose, and obesity measures in 55-64-year-old obese Asian Indian men: the Calcutta longitudinal study. Am. J. Hum. Biol, Vol. 18, No 5, pp. 718-721, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.20545
- Lotan, M, Merrick J, Carmeli E, Physical activity in adolescence. A review with clinical suggestions. Int. J. Adolesc. Med. Health, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 13-21, 2005.
- McGill, H. C Jr, McMahan C. A, Herderick E. E, Zieske A. W, Malcom G. T, and Tracy R. E, Strong J. P; Pathobiological Determinants of Atherosclerosis in Youth (PDAY) Research Group, Obesity accelerates the progression of coronary atherosclerosis in young men. Circulation, Vol. 105, No. 23, pp. 2712-2718, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000018121.67607.CE
- Hae-min Kim, Mi-Sook Kim, Hae Nam Kim, Effects of slimming by aroma leg massage. Journal of the Korean Society of Esthetics & Cosmeceutics, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 69-78, 2010.
- Na-Ra Lee, Hye-Jin Kwon, The effect of lymphatic drainage on women's lower body fatness. Journal of the Korean Beauty Art Society, Vol. 5, No. 24, pp. 108-114, 2011.
- Youn-Sun Oh, Effects of life style on body composition and daily energy expendiutre in obese women. The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 1033-1041, 2010.
- In-Hong Kim, The effect of walking exercise and detraining on body composition, blood lipids and stress hormones in middle aged obese omen. Journal of the Korean society of living environmental system, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 731-739, 2010.
- Tremblay, A. J, Despres, J. P, Piche, M. E, Nadeau, A, Bergeron J, Almeras, N, Tremblay, A, and Lemieux, S, Associations between the fatty acid content of triglyceride, visceral adipose tissue accumulation, and components of the insulin resistance syndrome. Metabolism, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 310-317, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2003.10.011
- Kang H. S, Gutin B, Barbeau P, Litaker MS, Allison J, and Le NA, Low-density lipoprotein particle size, central obesity, cardiovascular fitness, and insulin resistance syndrome markers in obese youths. Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 1030-1035, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802045
- Ju-Ri Ji, Ju-Hyun Lee, Kum-Lan Kim, Bandage therapy leg edema mitigation and skin state changes. Journal of the Korean Beauty Art Society, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 375-386, 2011.
- Tae-Hong Kim, Tae-Gil Yang, The effects of far-infrared radiation and vibration exercise through sit up exercise on abdominal obesity women's body composition and physical fitness The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 1383-1392, 2010.
- Bu-Young Choi, Seung-Hee Seo, Mee-Ok Choi, The study for muscular body type change after back meridian massage of obese female college students. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 1214-1219, 2009.
- Yong-Seo Kim, Effect on hip joint massage to lower body somatotype. Graduate School of Public Health, Inje University. 2009.
- Si-Kyoung Lee, Jung-Sook Oh, The effect of half bath on body composition and erythrocyte sedimentation rate in obesity male university Students. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 25-36, 2009.
- Ju-Hyun Lee, Rae-Joon Park, Jin-Sook Lim, The effects of meridian massage and functional electrical stimulation on abdominal obesity. Journal of the Korean Society of Beauty and Art, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 65-74, 2009.
- Yang-Joong Kim, Experimental Study on the pressure characteristics in cupping therapy. Ph.D School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University. 2007.
- Un-Jae Yun, Young-Ran Kim, Low body obesity control with female university students - focusing on meridian massage with aroma essential oil. The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 9, No. 8, pp. 360-366, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.8.360
- Seung-Hee Jang, Hyo-Sun Han, Jin-A Kim, Wan-Gyun, Hwang, A study on the influence of swedish massage up on physical fitness care -focusing on the lower part of the body. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 41-51, 2009.
- Sook-Ja Choi, The effect of half-body and back massage on office workers' blood component profile, brain function and stress change. Journal of the Korean Society of Esthetics & Cosmeceutics, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 111-123, 2007.
- Eun-Jung Kim, The effects of red ginseng and half-bath on the body composition and blood fatigue after the maximum exercise. Korea Society for Wellness, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 233-241, 2012.
- In-Hee Lee, A study of the effects of half-bath on women's stress. Korea Beauty Industry Development Institute, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 93-102, 2008.
- Jae-Hwa Bae, Tae-Dong Kwon, Ki-Hoon Kim, The effects of half-bath on fatigue recovery and blood lipids after maximum exercise. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 345-352, 2010.
- Hyang-Sook Lee, Heon-Seo Koo, Mi-Hyea Lim, Effects of the lower body bathing on women's body shape management and in-blood lipid concentration. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 9-17, 2007.
- Hyung-Sook Park, Kyu-Young Cho, Mi-Ock Kim, Sook-Ryun Lee, A study on use of complementary - Alternative therapy in middle-aged women. Journal of the Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 193-201, 2005.
- Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. Management of Obesity, 2009.
- Roscoe J. T, Fundamental research statistics for the behavioral sciences. Holt, Rinehart and Winston(New York).
- ACSM, ACSM's resource manual for guidelines for exercise and testing prescription. 6th. 2000.
- Nam Hoon An, Holistic Meridian Theory. Seoul : Holism, 2003.
- Ae-Ran Lee, Gil-Soo Han, Effects of food bath and back lymph drainage on substance in blood, stress hormone. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 825-831, 2012.
- Chang-Kyun Kang, Man-Gyoon Lee, Mi-Joung Lim, Effects of a 10-week rope skipping training on body composition, physical fitness, blood Lipid profiles, and insulin sensitivity in general collegiate students. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 59-69, 2008.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Korea, '02. The statistics of women health in korea, 2004.
- Seung-Hee Na, Effects of a 12-week combined exercise program on changes in body composition, body circumference, and c-reactive protein in obese women. The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 1299-1310, 2012.
- Kurpad, S. S, Tandon H, and Srinivasan K, Waist circumference correlates better with body mass index than waist-to-hip ratio in Asian Indians. Natl. Med. J. India, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 189-192, 2003.
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk P. T, and Ross R, Body mass index, waist circumference, and health risk: evidence in support of current National Institutes of Health guidelines. Arch. Intern. Med, Vol. 162, No 18, pp. 2074-2079, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.18.2074
- Unger R. H, Clark G. O, Scherer P. E, and Orci L, Lipid homeostasis and the metabolic syndrome. Biochim Biophys Acta, Vol. 1801, No. 3, pp. 209-214, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbalip.2009.10.006
- Arner, P, Insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes: role of fatty acids. Diabetes Metab Res Rev, 18, pp. S5-9, 2002 https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.254
- Pirro, M, Mauriege, P, Tchernof, A, Cantin, B, Dagenais, G. R, Despres, J. E, and Lamarche, B, Plasma fatty acid levels and risk of ischemic heart disease in men: prospective results from the Quebec Cardiovascular Study. Atherosclerosis, Vol. 160, No. 2, pp. 377-384, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9150(01)00588-3
- Keum-Sook Park, Effects of meridian massage on the physiobiology of perimenopausal women. Ph.D. School of Public Health, Wonkwang University. 2006.
- Shin-Jung Yun, Seung-Hyun Pack, Myung-Hee Shin, Dae-Sik Kim, Ha-Ryen Jung, The effect of sports-massage on cardiovascular function, blood sugar and body composition for obese middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 47-56, 2009.
- Seon-Hwa Jeong, The effect of high frequency treament and vacuum suction on the lower body fatness. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 31-36, 2008.
- Oriental Nursing Introduction. East-West Nursing Research Institude, Gyeonggi-do Paju-si, Soomoonsa, 2000.
- Dayan A, Rotstein A, Pincchuk I, Vodovicz A, Lencovski Z, Lichtenberg D, Inbar O, Effect of a short-tem garded exhaustive exercise on the susceptibility of serum lipids oxidation. Int. J. Sports. Med, 26(9), 732-738, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-837447
- Young-Soon Kim, Han-Jo Jung, Jae-Nam Lee, Duk-Soo Lee, Hye-Young Lee, Jin-Hwa Han, Han-Sang Jung, Health & Body Care. Crbooks, 2006.
- Hee-Ja Kim, Effect of aromatherapy massage on body composition and serum lipid in obese women after menopause. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 29-39, 2007.
- Yong-Woo Jeung, Kyu-Wan Kim, Massage, Acupressure and Reflexology, Seoul, Dkbooks, 2010.
- Mi-Sun Kim, Young-Eun Park, Soon-Hwa, Lee, Tae-Boo Choi, Sung-Kwan An, The Effect of Meridian Massage and Algae Mask on the Abdominal Obesity of Adult Women. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 79-87, 2009.