- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting Smoking Middle School Students' Intention to Quit Smoking: On the Basis of the ASE Model
흡연 중학생의 금연의도에 영향 미치는 요인: ASE 모델 적용을 중심으로
- Seo, Young Sook (Dongbyun Middle School) ;
- Kim, Young Im (Department of Nursing, Korea National Open University)
- Received : 2013.10.14
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify factors for smoking middle school students' intention to quit smoking on the basis of the social influence and self-efficacy [ASE] model. Methods: Data were collected from 2,015 students from five middle schools in Daegu with a structured questionnaire in March, 2013 and analyzed by using
- Armstrong, B. K., White, E., & Saracci, R. (1992). Principles of exposure measurement in epidemiology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Choi, E. Y., & Jeong, S. H. (2012). The effect of self-efficacy promotion smoking cessation program on the amount of smoking, CO, urine cotinine level and self-efficacy for adolescent smokers. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 14 (2), 103-111. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.2.103
- Choo, J., & Kim, E. K. (2011). Application of the ASE Model to the assertive behavior of non-smoking college students under secondhand smoke exposure. Journal of Korean academy of Community Health Nursing, 22 (1), 1-10.
- Chung, Y. S., & So, H. (2003). Knowledge, attitude and experience on smoking among primary school students. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 20 (3), 189-205.
- Coleman, P. (1993). Overview of substance abuse. Primary Care, 20 (1), 1-18.
- DiClemente, C. C., Prochaska, J. O., & Gibertini, M. (1985). Selfefficacy and staged of self-change of smoking. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 9 (2), 181-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01204849
- Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University. (2002). Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) Korean Version (Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University, Trans.). Seoul: Yonsei University Press.
- Holm, K., Kremers, S. P., & de Vries, H. (2003). Why do Danish adolescents take up smoking. European Journal of Public Health, 13 (1), 67-74.
- Hwang, B. D. (2007). Knowledge, attitude and factors for smoking behavior in high school students. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 24 (2), 45-61.
- Hyeon, J. H. (2009). Adolescents' smoking cessation intention & the factors affecting smoking cessation intention. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Jang, J. Y. (2005). Analysis of related factors on middle school student smoking in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. O. (2003). A study on the smoking related social influence, refusal skill and nonsmoking related self-efficacy among adolescents. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 9 (3), 237-249.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2012, November2). Depressed adolescents are worse health behavior (smoking, drinking et al.) than normal adolescents. Retrieved Feburary 12, 2013, from http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/no tice/CdcKrIntro0201.jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU0005-MNU0011&fid=21&q_type=&q_value=&cid=19312&pageNum=1
- Korean Association of Smoking and Health. (2011, December 12). A study on survey of smoking the first half year 2011 (Prss release of Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs). Retrieved Feburary 11, 2013, from http://www.kash.or.kr/user_new pds_view.asp
- Kowalski, S. D. (1997). Self-esteem and self-efficacy as predictors of success in smoking cessation. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 15 (2), 128-142. https://doi.org/10.1177/089801019701500205
- Kwak, Y. H. (2011). The study of factors of parents and peers influencing on the adolescent smoking. Unpublished master's thesis, Silla University, Busan.
- Lee, H. I. (2013). Relationship between the smoking behavior and risk-taking tendency and peer pressure in adolescents. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Lopez, M. L., Herrero, P., Comas, A., Leijs, I., Cueto, A., Charlton, A., et al. (2004). Impact of cigarette advertising on smoking behaviour in Spanish adolescents as measured using recognition of billboard advertising. European Journal of Public Health, 14 (4), 428-432. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/14.4.428
- Maassen, I. T. H. M., Kremers, S. P. J., Mudde, A. N., & Joof, B. M. (2004). Smoking initiation among Gambian adolescents: Social cognitive influences and the effect of cigarette sampling. Health Education Research, 19 (5), 551-560. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyg077
- Moon, I. O., & Park, K. O. (2005). Youth's smoking status in Seoul in the international perspective: Overall comparisons with the results of the Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS). The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, 6 , 1-16.
- Oh, V. C. (2002). Related factors with the stage of change of smoking cessation in adolescent: Based on the trnastheoretical model. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Paek, K. S., & Choi, Y. H. (2004). High school students' knowledge and attitude about smoking according to their smoking status. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 15 (2), 277-288.
- Park, J., Min, S., & Jang, J. Y. (2010). A study on the influence of smoking expectancy-value and normative beliefs on nonsmoking behavioral intention. Journal of Public Relations Research, 14 (3), 234-260.
- Park, Y. G., & Kang, Y. J. (1996). Behavior, Knowledge and Attitude on smoking of primary school children. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 17 (9), 798-809.
- Park, Y. I. (2004). A study on the factors affecting smoking cessation behavior of university student smokers. Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 10 (2), 229-238.
- Pavanello, S., & Clonfero, E. (2000). Biomakers of genotoxic risk and metabolic polymorphisms. Medicina del Lavoro, 91 (5), 431-469.
- Ryu, S. Y., Shin, J. H., Kang, M. G., & Park, J. (2011). Factors associated with intention to quit smoking among male smokers in 13 communities in honam region of Korea: 2010 community health survey. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 28 (2), 5-85.
- Whang, H. S. (2000). Predictive factors for intention of smoking cessation among youth smokers. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan.
- World Health Organization. (2001, May 31). World no tobacco day 2001: Second-hand smoke kills. let's clear the air. Retrieved March 24, 2013, from http://www.who.int/tobacco communications/events/wntd/2001/en