- Volume 23 Issue 6
Perception and Consumption Status of Food Labeling of Processed Foods among College Students in Daegu.Gyeongbuk Area
대구.경북지역 대학생의 식품 표시에 대한 인식 및 가공식품 소비 실태
- Park, Eo-Jin (Dept. of Hotel Food Service and Culinary Art, Catholic Sangji College)
- 박어진 (가톨릭상지대학교 호텔외식조리과)
- Received : 2013.06.27
- Accepted : 2013.12.31
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study was conducted to examine the consumption realities of processed food and the perception of food labeling with targets of university students attending schools in Daegu and Gyeongbuk areas. The reason for buying processed food was because it is easy to cook. As for the number of using processed food, it was answered that everyday dairy products, noodles, breads and snacks for 3~4 times a month, and meat processed foods, canned foods, sauces and frozen foods for 2~3 times a month. With regard to selecting processed products, both male and female students answered with taste and price first, barely considering the safety and nutritional elements. It turned out that they check the price, expiration date and country of origin in order upon buying processed foods. Most of them recognized food labeling, but answered that they checked it sometimes in order to check the 'expiration date' and the 'calories'. They were aware of the food nutritional contents indication. It was turned out that male students check it for nutrients and female students for weight control. The effect of the processed food indication was that it is easy to choose the necessary foods for health and as well as for comparing the food with other products. The satisfaction of the food labeling system was mediocre. The results indicated that the food indication system needs to be educated or promoted.
- Choi MH, Youn SJ, Ahn YS, Seo KJ, Park KH, Kim GH (2010) A survey on the consumer's recohnition of food labeling in Seoul area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1555-1564. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1555
- Choi MJ (2009) Dietary behavior of university students and actual status of fast food intak. MS Thesis Kongju National University, Kongju, pp 1-4.
- Choi SN, Chung NY, Yun ME (2002) A study on the food habits and the dietary behaviors of university student in Seoul. Korea J. Dietary Culture 17: 57-63.
- Chung EJ, Jeon JS, Ahn HS (2010) Reading and understanding of food & nutrition labels and dietary behaviors of female middle and high school students. J Korean Diet Assoc 16: 239-254.
- Garretson JA, Burton S (2001) Effects of nutrition facts panel values, nutrition claims and health claims on consumer attitudes, perceptions of diseases relates risks and trust. J Public Policy and Marketing 19: 213-227.
- Hong SB (2012) Dietary habits and snacking among university students living on-campus and condition of applying nutrition labelling. MS Thesis Konkuk University, Seoul. pp 1-6.
- Hong SH (2007) A study on dietry behavior and recognition of the processed food safety in the middle school students of Gwangju. MS Thesis Cheonnam National University, Gwangju, pp 38-43.
- Hong SK (2011) A study on processed food purchasing behavior and satisfaction according to the urban housewives' food-related lifestyle. Ph D Dissertation Kyonggi University, Seoul. pp 137-142.
- Jung HR (1998) Nutrition labeling and food quality management. Food industry and Nutrition 3: 9-13.
- Kim DS, Lee JW (2002) Use and recognition of nutrition labeling in processed foods among school students and their parents. J Korean Diet Assoc 8: 301-310.
- Kim HS, Baik SJ, Lee KA (1999) Consumers' awareness and utilization of food labels. J Food Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 948-953.
- Kim NY, Lee JS (2009) A study on perception and utilization of food-nutrition labeling by age in Busan residents. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1801-1910. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1801
- Kim YS, Kim BR (2012) Intake of snacks, and perception and use of food and nutrition labels by middle school student in Chuncheon area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1265-1273. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1265
- Koo HJ (2012) Case study of high school students' processed food consumption and their recognition on food labeling. MS Thesis Kyonggi University, Seoul. pp 83-89.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration (2004) Study on a strategic framework for mandatory nutrition labeling on food labels. KFDA. pp 3-37.
- Lee KA, Lee HJ, Park EJ (2010) The effect of nutrition labelling on knowledge and perception of nutrition labelling and awareness of nutrition labelling usefulness with among college students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 253-266. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.253
- Seymour M, Hoerr SL, Huang Y(1997) Inappropriate dieting behaviors and related lifestyle factors in young adult: Are college students different? J Nutr Educ 2: 21-26.
- Won HR (2010) A college students' dietary behavior for processed foods and the level of perception on food labeling system according to residence type in Wonju province. Korean J. Community Living Science 21: 581-593.