- Volume 41 Issue 5
Estimation equations of shear modulus in the plane of laminated veneer lumber (LVL) were compared each other through uniaxial tension test results. The equations - basic elastic equation in the dimensional orthotropic case, Hankinson's formula and empirical equation proposed by Salikis and Falk, were applied to determine the elastic constants at various angles to the grain, which were needed for determination of shear modulus. Tensile elastic modulus of LVL predicted from these equations were compared with test data to evaluate the accuracy of the equation. Tensile elastic modulus rapidly decreased at orientations between 0 and 15 degrees and elastic modulus at grain angles of 15, 30, and 45 degrees overestimated in the presented equations. But the proposed equation by Salikis and Falk showed better prediction, especially at 30, and 45 degrees. This proposed formula would be more useful and practical for estimating of shear modulus of wood composites like LVL to minimize the effect of Poisson's ratio term.
- American Forest and Paper Association. 2005. National Design Specification (NDS) for Wood Construction. ANSI/AF&PA NDS-2005.
- Bodig, J. and B. A. Jayne. 1982. Mechanics of wood and wood composites. Van Nostrand Reinhold. 712p, New York.
- Clouston, P., Frank Lam, and J. D. Barrett. 1998. Interaction term of Tsai-Wu theory for laminated veneer. J. of Materials in Civil Engineering 10(2): 112-116. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1998)10:2(112)
- Desch, H. E. and J. M. Dinwoodie. 1996. Timber: structure, properties, conversion, and use. MacMillan Press Ltd. 306p.
- Forest Products Laboratory. 2010. Wood Handbook, Wood as an Engineering Material. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-190. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory: 508p, Madison, WI.
- Ling, H., S. Samarasinghe, and G. D. Kulasiri. 2009. Modelling variability in full-field displacement profiles and Poisson ratio of wood in compression using stochastic neural networks. Silva Fennica 43(5): 871-887.
- Liu, J. Y. 2002. Analysis of off-axis tension test of wood specimens. Wood and Fiber Sci. 34(2): 205-211.
- Oh, S. C. 2011. Applying failure criteria to the strength evaluation of 3-ply laminated veneer lumber according to grain direction by uniaxial tension test. Construction and Building Materials 25: 1480-1484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.08.002
- Rosen, B. W. 1972. A simple procedure for experimental determination of the longitudinal shear modulus of unidirectional composites. J. of Composite Materials 6: 552-554. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837200600411
- Salikis, E. P. and R. H. Falk. 2000. Correlating off-axis tension tests to sheer modulus of wood-based panels. Journal of structural engineering 126(5): 621-625. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:5(621)
- Seo, Y. B., B. Castagnede and R. Mark. 1992. An optimization approach for the determination of in-plane elastic constants of paper. Tappi J. 11: 209-214.
- Thomas, W. H. 2003. Poisson's ratios of an oriented strand board. Wood Sci. and Tech 37: 259-268. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00226-003-0171-y
- Wangaard, F. F. 1979. Wood: its structure and properties. The Pennsylvania State University, 465p, PA.
- Effect of grain orientation on the CFRP-to-LVL bond vol.129, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.07.062