- Volume 14 Issue 4
Design optimization is a mathematical process to find an optimal solution through the use of formal optimization algorithms. Design plays a vital role in the engineering field; therefore, using design tools in education and research is becoming more and more important. Recently, numerical design optimization in fluid mechanics, which uses computational fluid dynamics (CFD), has numerous applications in the engineering field, because of the rapid development of high-performance computing resources. However, it is difficult to find design optimization software and contents for educational purposes in aerospace engineering. In the present study, we have developed an aerodynamic design framework specifically for an airfoil, based on the EDucation-research Integration through Simulation On the Net (EDISON) portal. The airfoil design framework is composed of three subparts: a geometry kernel, CFD flow analysis, and an optimization algorithm. Through a seamless interface among the subparts, an iterative design process is conducted. In addition, the CFD flow analysis and the design framework are provided through a web-based portal system, while the computation is taken care of by a supercomputing facility. In addition to the software development, educational contents are developed for lectures associated with design optimization in aerospace and mechanical engineering education programs. The software and content developed in this study is expected to be used as a tool for e-learning material, for education and research in universities.
Aerospace Engineering;Computational fluid dynamics;Design optimization;e-Learning;EDISON
- URL : http://web.mit.edu/fluid-modules/www/
- D. Adair, and M. Jaeger, "Integration of computational fluid dynamics into a fluid mechanics curriculum", Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 2011. DOI: 10.1002/cae.20539 https://doi.org/10.1002/cae.20539
- R. A. Pieritz, R. Mendes, R. F. A. F. da Silva, and C. R. Maliska, "CFD studio: An educational software package for CFD analysis and design," Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 12: 20-30. DOI: 10.1002/cae.10055 https://doi.org/10.1002/cae.10055
- URL : http://www.nanohub.org
- URL : http://www.efluids.com
- URL : http://www.engapplets.vt.edu
- URL : http://www.sandi.net/i21
- URL : http://www.edison.re.kr
- J. H. Kim, Yi, J., Ko, S. H., Ahn, J. W., Kim, C., Kim, Y., and Cho, K. W., "e-AIRS: Construction of an Aerodynamic Integrated Research Sys-tem on the e-Science Infrastructure", J. KSAS, Vol. 36, No.5, 2008, pp. 438-447.
- Lee, S. W., Lee, K. B., Park, S. H., Choi, S., and Kim, C., "EDISON_CFD : Development of Simulation Software and Contents for Education Research in Computational Fluid Dynamics on the e-Science Infrastructure", 2011 Spring KSCFE Conference Proceedings, 2011, pp. 344-348.
- Snyman, J. A., Practical Mathematical Optimization: An Introduction to Basic Optimization Theory and Classical and New Gradient-Based Algorithms, Springer., USA, 1997.
- Belegundu, A. D. and Chandrupatla, T. R., Optimization Concepts and Applications in Engineering 3th Ed., Pearson Education., India, 2005.
- Vanderplaats, G. N. and Hansen, S. R., DOT User's Manual, VMA Engineering, USA, 1989.
- Arora, J. S., Introduction to Optimum Design, Elsevier Academic Press, USA, 2004.
- Haupt, R. L., and Haupt, S. E., Practical Genetic Algorithm 2nd Ed., Wiley, USA, 2004.
- Sacks, J., Welch, W. J., Mitchell, T. J., and Wynn, H. P., "Design and Analysis of Computer Experiments," Statistical Science, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1989, pp. 409-423. https://doi.org/10.1214/ss/1177012413
- Churchill, R. V. and Brown, J. W., Complex Variable and Applications, McGraw-Hill., USA, 1990.
- Roe, P. L., "Approximate Riemann solvers, parameter vectors and difference scheme", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 43, Issue 2, 1981, pp. 357-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90128-5
- Kim, S. S., Kim, Chongam, Rho, O. H., and Hong, S. K., "Cures for the shock instability: Development of a shockstable Roe Scheme", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 185, No.2, 2003, pp. 342-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9991(02)00037-2
- Kim, K. H., Kim, C. and Rho, O. H., "Methods for the Accurate Computations of Hypersonic Flows: I. AUSMPW+ Scheme", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 174, Issue 1, 2001, pp.38-80. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.2001.6873
- Blazek, J., Computational Fluid Dynamics: Principles and Applications, Elsevier., UK, 2001.
- Wilcox, D. C., "Reassessment of the Scale-Determining Equation for Advanced Turbulence Models", AIAA Journal, Vol. 26, No. 11, 1988, pp. 1299-1310. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.10041
- Wilcox, D. C., Turbulence Modeling for CFD 2nd Ed., DCW Industries, USA, 2004.
- Mentor, F. R., "Two-Equation Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Models for Engineering Applications", AIAA Journal, Vol.32, No.8, 1994, pp. 1598-1605.
- Aoyama, Y., and Nakano, J., RS/600 SP: Practical MPI Programming, IBM, USA, 1999.
- Sobieczky, H., "Parametric Airfoils and Wings", Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, Vol.68, 1988, pp.71-88.
- Piegl, L. and Tiller, W., The NURBS Book, Springer., USA, 1995.
- Hicks, R. M., and Henne, P. A., "Wing Design by Numerical Optimization", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 15, No.7, 1978, pp. 407-412. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.58379
- Dubuc, L., Cantariti, F., Woodgate, Gribben, M., B., Badcock, K.J., and Richard, B.E., "A grid deformation technique for unsteady flow computations", International Journal for numerical methods in fluid, Vol. 32, Issue 3, 2000, pp. 285-311. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0363(20000215)32:3<285::AID-FLD939>3.0.CO;2-C
- Shu, C., Liu, N., Chew, Y., and Lu, Z., "Numerical Simulation of Fish Motion by Using Lattice Boltzmann Immersed Boundary Velocity Correction Model", Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 9, 2007, pp. 1352-1358. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03177420
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)