- Volume 51 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Need for Development of a List of Meals for Diabetic Patients and Development of Barley-Based Diabetic Meals
당뇨병환자의 메뉴개발 요구도 및 보리이용 당뇨식단 개발
- Ryu, Ji Hye (Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Rho, Jeong Ok (Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.04.26
- Accepted : 2013.06.19
- Published : 2013.10.30
The aim of this study was to develop and apply a list of meals and standard recipes using barley for diabetic patients. The degree of interest and requirements of diabetic patients were investigated for the development of meals. The ingredients of the meals were selected through the diabetic literature and previous research. While developing a list of meals, dietetic therapies for diabetic patients were considered. After developing 15 kinds of meals and modifying them through sensory evaluation, a standard recipe was completed. In the standard recipe, the menu name, the ingredients, quantity, and recipe were stated and the nutritional components were indicated. Photographs of the meals were included. The calorie prescription for the diabetic patients was aimed at elderly women, that is, those 65 years old or above, based on research showing this to be the average age of diabetics. The prescribed calories were 1,500 kcal based on the food exchange list. Weekly lists of meals including the developed dishes were made for diabetic patients. The list were modified after consultation with a clinical nutritionist. When completed, one meal item was selected for each day and cooked. A photograph was taken and presented diabetic patients. This article presents the standardized recipes of the developed list of meals and applies them to modifying the diabetic diet, with an aim to be of service to diabetic patients attempting to meet their dietetic therapy goals. We also provide basic data on institutional food services for diabetic patients and nutrition education.
- Ahn, H. J., Han, K. A., Koo, B. K., Kim, H. J., Kim, H. J., Park, S. K., et al. (2008). Analysis of meal habits from the viewpoint of regularity in Korean type 2 diabetic patients. Korean Diabetes Journal, 32(1), 68-76. https://doi.org/10.4093/kdj.2008.32.1.68
- Anderson, R. L., & Wolf, W. J. (1995). Compositional changes in trypsin inhibitor, phytic acid, saponins and isoflavones related to soybean. Journal of Nutrition, 125(3 Suppl), 581S-588S.
- Avato, P., Tursil, F., Vitali, C., Miccolis, V., & Candido, V. (2000). Allylsulfide constituents of garlic volatile oil as antimicrobial agents. Phytomedicine, 7(3), 239-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0944-7113(00)80010-0
- Bates, S., Jones, R. B., & Bailey, C. J. (2000). Insulin-like effect of pinitol. British Journal of Pharmacology, 130(8), 1944-1948. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0703523
- Cho, J. S. & Hwang, S. Y. (2005). Foodmaterials. Seoul: Munundang.
- Cui, C. B., Choi, H. T., Lee, H. J., Moon, S. Y., Kim, S. H., Lee, B. G., et al. (2004). Hypoglycemic effect of the functional food manufactured by fermented soybean as main materials in streptozotocin: Induced diabetic rats. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 33(7), 1126-1132. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.7.1126
- Hwang, W. I. (1980). A study on the anticancer activity of garlic extracts. Korean Biochemical Journal, 13(4), 191-202.
- Jun, J., Lee, Y., & Oh, Y. J. (2009). A factor analysis study on blood glucose control in diabetics mellitus patients (1): Focus on blood glucose control and lifestyle factors. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 14(2), 236-244.
- Kennedy, A. R. (1995). The evidence for soybean products as cancer preventive agents. Journal of Nutrition, 125(3 Suppl), 733S-743S.
- Kim, B. K., Shin, G. G., Jeon, B. S., & Cha, J. Y. (2001). Cholesterollowering effect of mushrooms powder in hyperlipidemic rats. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 30(3), 510-515.
- Kim, J. H. (2010). Best diet for diabetic patients. Seoul: Dongailbosa.
- Kim, M. A., Kim, Y. S., & Yoon, S. K. (1999). Recipes for dishes controlling diabetes and its blood glucose response effect. The Journal of Korean Society of Food & Cookery Science, 15(4), 401-409.
- Kim, M. A., & Yoon, S. K. (2000). Study on quality and blood glucose response of roll breads for diabetes mellitus. The Korean Journal of Food and Nutrition, 13(5), 419-424.
- Kim, M. A., & Yoon, S. K. (2001). Organoleptic characteristics of roll bread mixed with soybean and barley flour for diabetes mellitus. Dongduk Journal of Life Science Studies, 6, 3-9.
- Kim, M. Y., & Yoon, S. K. (2003). Quality of steam bread mixed with soybean and barley flour for diabetes mellitus. Dongduk Journal of Life Science Studies, 8, 33-38.
- Kim, S. R., Choi, H. D., Seog, H. M., Kim, S. S., & Lee, Y. T. (1999). Physico chemical characteristics of b-glucan isolated from barley. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology, 31(5), 1164-1170.
- Korean Diabetes Association. (2011). Treatment Guideline for Diabetes 2011. Seoul: Korean Diabetes Association.
- Lee, D. J., Kim, H. W., Park, S. G., Chu, S. M., & Lee, J. S. (2007). Antioxidant and anticancer activities of extracts from grains of the barley germplasms. The Journal of the Korean Society of International Agriculture, 19(3), 186-190.
- Lee, E. J., & Koo, S. J. (1998). Studies on the antimutagenicity of extract from barley (hordeumvulgare). Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 14(5), 468-474.
- Lee, Y. T. (2003). Preparation and hypoglycemic effect of reconstituted grain added with selected medicinal herb extract. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology, 35(3), 527-531.
- Lim, H. J., Kim, Y. Y., Jung, J. W., & Choue, R. (2008). Study of recognition and necessity of oriental medicinal menu, and development of oriental therapeutic menu for stroke patients. Journal of Korean Dietetic Association, 14(1), 36-50.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2011). Korean national health & nutrition examination survey in 2010. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Park, M. J. (2007). Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun with brown rice and barley flour. The Journal of Korean Society of Food & Cookery Science, 23(5), 720-730.
- Park, S. H., & Wang, S. G. (2008). A Research on anti-diabetic functional food intake of the subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Daejeon. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 17(4), 797-805. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.4.797
- Park, S. J. (1997). A study of the immunostimulative effect of b-Glucan extracted from barley (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Kyonggi University, Suwon, Korea.
- Park, Y. M. (2010). Proper nutrition for diabetes patients, Journal of Korean Diabetes, 11(4), 303-309.
- Ra, J. C., Bae, J. H., Park, H. G., & Kang, K. S. (2003). Studies on a new alimentotherapy for diabetic patients. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 32(4), 614-620. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.4.614
- Sharma, P., & Gujral, H. S. (2010). Antioxidant and polyphenol oxidase activity of germinated barley and its milling fractions. Food Chemistry, 120(3), 673-678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.10.059
- Sim, K. H., & Han, Y. S. (2005). Application effect in standard diet by calorie for Korean type 2 diabetic patients. The Journal of Korean Society of Food & Cookery Science, 21(1), 64-74.
- Song, J. Y., Yoon, K. J., Yoon, H. Y., & Koo, S. J. (2001). Effects of b-glucan from lentinus edodes and hordeum vulgare on blood glucose and lipid composition in alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology, 33(6), 802-807.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. (2010). Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans 2010. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society.
- Wang, L., Behr, S. R., Newman, R. K., & Newman, C. W. (1997). Comparative cholesterol-lowering effects of barley b-glucan and barley oil in golden syrian hamsters. Nutrition Research, 17(1), 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(96)00234-5
- Yoo, C. H. (2008). Need assessment and quality analysis of cook/chillbased menus for developing a home-delivered therapeutic meal service model (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Seoul Women s University, Seoul, Korea.
- Yoo, Y. S., Lee, K. S., Cho, K. H., Kim, D. H., Park, C. H., Lee, S. H., et al. (2009). Effect of barley on variation of blood glucose and lipid metabolism. Korean Journal of Family Medicine, 30(10), 790-795. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.10.790
- Yu, R. (1995). Effect of dietary hot red pepper powder on humoral immune response in rat. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 24(6), 837-842.
- Development of low calorie roasted radish tea beverage with anti-oxidant activity vol.25, pp.S1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0107-6