- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
In vitro Antimutagenic and Genotoxic Effects of Sophora Radix Extracts
고삼추출물의 in vitro 항돌연변이원성과 유전독성 연구
- Cho, Hyeon-Jo (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yoon, Hyunjoo (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Kyung-Hun (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Je-Bong (Agro-Material Safety Evaluation Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Shim, Chang-Ki (Organic Agriculture Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Jin Hyo (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jeong, Mi Hye (Agro-Material Safety Evaluation Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Oh, Jin-Ah (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Doo-Ho (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Paik, Min-Kyoung (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 조현조 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과) ;
- 윤현주 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과) ;
- 박경훈 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과) ;
- 이제봉 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 농자재평가과) ;
- 심창기 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 유기농업과) ;
- 김진효 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과) ;
- 정미혜 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 농자재평가과) ;
- 오진아 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과) ;
- 김두호 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과) ;
- 백민경 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농산물안전성부 화학물질안전과)
- Received : 2013.10.04
- Accepted : 2013.12.04
- Published : 2013.12.31
Sophorae radix extract (SRE) has been registered as an environment-friendly organic material that is widely used in the cultivation of crops in Korea. Matrine, the active ingredient in SRE, was reported as a toxic substance in the nervous system in mice. However, no information is available on its toxic effects in other organisms. Therefore, antimutagenicity and two kinds of genotoxicity tests (bacterial reverse mutation and chromosome aberration test) of two samples of SRE were investigated in this study. Antimutagenicity test was experimented by using bacterial reverse mutation test. In the reverse mutation test, Salmonella Typhimurim TA98, TA1535 and TA1537 were used to evaluate the mutagenic potential of SRE. Bacterial reverse mutation test was also performed on positive and negative control groups in the presence of the metabolic activation system (with S-9 mix) and metabolic non-activation system (without S-9 mix). In the chromosome aberration test, Chinese hamster lung cells were exposed to SRE for 6 or 24 hours without S-9 mix, or for 6 hours with S-9 mix. Negative and positive control groups were experimented for chromosome aberration test. As a result, the number of mutated colonies induced by 4-NQO were reduced by SRE treatment in all strains, indicating that SRE may have antimutagenic effects. Reverse mutation was not shown at all concentrations of SRE, regardless of application of the metabolic activation system. In the chromosomal aberration test, one of the SRE sample gave a suspicious positive result at 250
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Ames, B. N., J. McGann and E. Yamasaki (1975) Method for detecting carcinogens and mutagens with the Salmonella/mammalian-microsome mutagenicity test. Mutat. Res. 31(6):347-364.
- Boeke, S. J., M. G., Boersma, G. M., Alink, J. J., van Loon, A., van Huis, M., Dicke, and I. M. Rietjens (2004) Safety evaluation of neem (azadirachta indica) derived pesticides. J. Ethnophamacol. 94(1):25-41.
- Chandrasekaran, C. V., P. Thiyagarajan, K. Sundarajan, K. S. Goudar, M. Deepak, B. Murali, J. J. Allan and A. Agarwal (2009) Evaluation of the genotoxic potential and acute oral toxicity of standardizes extract of Andrographis paniculata (KalmColdTM). Food Chem. Toxicol. 47(8):1892-1902.
- Dearfield, K. L., V. Thybaud, M. C. Cimino, L. Custer, A. Czich, J. S. Harvey, S. Hester, J. H. Kim, D. Kirkland, D. D. Levy, E. Lorge, M. M. Moore, G. Ouédraogo-Arras, M. Schuler, W. Suter, K. Sweder, K. Tarlo, J. van Benthem, F. van Goethem and K. L. Witt (2011) Follow-up actions from positive results of in vitro genetic toxicity testing. Environ. mol. mutagen. 52(3):177-204.
- Ding, Y., R. H. Tian, J. Kinjo, T. Nohara and I. Kitagawa (1992) Three new oleanene glycosides from sophora flavescens. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 40(11):2990-2994.
- Han, J. K., K. S. Chang and K. C. Nam (2003) Growth of seedling and germination characteristics of Acanhopanaz koreanum Nakai. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 11(1):24-52.
- Hwang, I., J. Kim, H. Kim, D. Kim, S. Kim, S. Kim and C. Jang (2009) Evaluation of toxicity of plant extract made by neem and matrine against main pests and natural enemies. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 48(1):87-94. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2009.48.1.087
- ICH(International Conference on Harmonization) (2012) Genotoxicity testing and data interpretation for pharmaceuticals intended for human use. pp. 33748-33749.
- JEMS-MMS (Japanese Environmental Mutagen Society- Mammalian Mutagenicity Study Group) (1988) Atlas of chromosome aberration by chemicals. Tokyo, Japan.
- Jeun, J., H. J. Cho, H. Jun, J. H. Lee, Y. Jia, K. S. Cho, E. S. Kim and S. Lee (2011) Mutagenic and antimutagenic effects of hemp seed oil evaluated by ames Salmonella testing. Korean Food Sci. Technol. 43(3):396-400. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.3.396
- KEFAM (Korea Eco-friendly Agro-materials) Association (2012) Standard guidelines of environment-friendly organic materials.
- KFDA (Korea Food and Drug Administration) (2006) 13 week repeated dose toxicity and genotoxicity studies of Sophorae radix. pp. 141-160.
- Kim, S. J., S. S. Kang, K. S. Lee, S. Chang and D. H. Won (2000) Isolation and quantitative determination of martrine from Sophorae radix. Kor. J. Pharmacogn. 31(4):421-425.
- Kirkland, D., M. Aardema, L. Herderson and L. Miller (2005) Evaluation of the ability of a bettery of three in vitro genotoxicity tests to discriminate rodent carcinogens and non-carcinogens I. Sensitivity, specificity and relative predictivity. Mutat. Res. 584(1-2):1-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2005.02.004
- Kyogoku, K., K. Hatayama and M. Komatsu (1973) Constituents of Chinese crude drug "kushen" isolation of five new flavonoids and formonetin. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 21(12):2733-2738. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.21.2733
- Lim, K. H., S. J. Kim, K. J. Choi, D. I. Kim, S. G. Kim and Y. H. Lee (2007) Survey of disease and weed control in organic and free-pesticide cultivation of Chunnam area 'Ssam' vegetables. Korean J. Org. Agric. 15(1):109-121.
- Maron, D. M. and B. N. Ames (1983) Reversed methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test. Mutat. Res. 113(3-4):173-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1161(83)90010-9
- Motoi, I. Jr and S. Odashima (1977) Chromosome test with 134 compounds on Chinese hamster cells in vitro-A for chemicals carcinogens. Mutation Research, 48:337-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(77)90177-4
- Park, S., Y. Nam and D. Kim (2003) The antibiosis of moisture water included the Sophora Radix Extracted by ethanol solvent on bacteria. J. Fash. Bus.7(5):13-16.
- RDA (Rural Development Administration) (2004a) Organic and environmental friendly agriculture method. pp. 600.
- RDA (Rural Development Administration) (2004b) Technical development plan of environmental-friendly agriculture on crops. pp. 1-25.
- Royer, R. (2010) Anti-inflammatory Effect of Sophorae Radix Extract; Anti-inflammatory effect of Sophorae Radix Extract. MS Thesis. Kyungwon University, Korea.
- Shin, N. and S. Koo (1998) Antimutagenic effects of dietary fiber from yam (dioscorea batatas decne) against 2-AF and MNNG. Korean J. Soc. Food Sci. 14(4):333-338.
- Song, D. and H. Kim (2009) The effect of Kushen ethanol extract cream to NC/Nga mice induced by Dermatophagoides farinae. J. Kor. Soc. Cosm. 15(4):1243-1252.
- Wang, X., L. Liang, J. Chang, M. Yang and Z. Li (2010) Toxicity of matrine in Kunming mice. J. South Med. Univ. 30(9):2154-2155.
- Genotoxicity of Environment-friendly Organic Materials of Plant Origin in the Micronucleus Test Using Chinese Hamster Lung Cells vol.33, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2014.33.2.138
- Safety and Anticancer Effects of Platycodon grandiflorum Extracts vol.44, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.516