- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Control Effects of Frankliniella occidentalis by using Trap Plants and Orius laevigatus in Chrysanthemum PVC House
시설국화에서 트랩식물과 미끌애꽃노린재를 이용한 꽃노랑총채벌레 방제
- Choi, Yong-Seok (Bioenvironment Research Division, Chungnam Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Whang, In-Su (Bioenvironment Research Division, Chungnam Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Park, Deog-Kee (Bioenvironment Research Division, Chungnam Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Lee, Jun-Seok (Osang K-insect Co. Ltd.) ;
- Ham, Eun-Hye (Osang K-insect Co. Ltd.)
- 최용석 (충청남도농업기술원 농업환경연구과) ;
- 황인수 (충청남도농업기술원 농업환경연구과) ;
- 박덕기 (충청남도농업기술원 농업환경연구과) ;
- 이준석 ((주)오상킨섹트) ;
- 함은혜 ((주)오상킨섹트)
- Received : 2013.11.05
- Accepted : 2013.12.05
- Published : 2013.12.31
F. occidentalis (WFT, western flower thrips) is a major pest in artificial chrysanthemum houses. Nnumber of WFT attracted to yellow sticky trap was highest at trap plant and lowest at 15 and 20m places away from trap plant. Number of WFT attracted to yellow stick trap when trap plant was placed in chrysanthemum house 30 days after planting (resident WFT) was 4.4~7.7 times more than at 5 and 10 m places away from trap plant and when trap plant was placed in chrysanthemum house immediately after planting (resident WFT) was 5.7~9.4 times more at 5 and 10 m places away from trap plant. Number of WFT between the place trap plant located and unlocated was undifferent when cultured chrysanthemum formed flower. In case of the plot that trap plant and natural enemy was used simultaneously, number of WFT was highter then chemicals plot. In case of the plot that trap plant and chamicals (chemicals was sprayed on trap plant only) WFT was controlled in trap plant place only but density of WFT on 5m and 10m places away from trap plant was increased. Therefore, WFT could be controlled effectively by use of trap plant (flowering yellow chrysanthemum) and natural enemy simultaneously.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Bennison, J., K. Maulden, S. Dewhirst, E. Pow, P. Slatter and L. Wadhams, (2002) Towards the development of a pushpull strategy for improving biological control of western flower thrips on chrysanthemum. In Mound, L.A., Marullo, R. (eds.), Thrips and Tospoviruses: Proceedings of the 7th international symposium on Thysanoptera. Australian National Insect Collection, Canberra, Australia.
- Blumthal, M. R., R. A. Cloyed, L. A. Spomer and D. F. Warnock, (2005) Flower color preferences of western flower thrips. HortTechnology 15:846-853.
- Bueno, V. H. P. (1999) Protectied cultivation and research on biological control of pests in greenhouses in Brazil. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 22(1):21-24.
- Bueno, V. H. P., J. C. van Lenteren, L. C. P. Silveira and S. M. M. Rodrigues, (2003) An overview of biological control in greenhouse chrysanthemum in Brazil. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 26(10):1-5.
- Buitenhuis, R. and J. L. Shipp (2006) Factors influencing the use of trap plants for the control of Frankliniella occidentalis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) on greenhouse potted chrysanthemum. Environ. Entomol. 35(5):1411-1416. https://doi.org/10.1603/0046-225X(2006)35[1411:FITUOT]2.0.CO;2
- Childers, C. C. and J. K. Brecht (1996) Colored sticky traps for monitoring Frankliniella bispinosa (Morgan) (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) during flowering cycles in citrus. J. Econ. Entomol. 89:1240-1249. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/89.5.1240
- Cho, K., C. S. Eckel, J. F. Walgenbach and G. G. Kennedy (1995) Comparison of colored sticky traps for monitoring thirps populations (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) in staked tomato fields. J. Entomol. Sci. 30:176-190.
- Chu, C. C., T. Y. Chen, E. T. Natwick, G. Fitzgerald, S. Tuck, P. Alexander and T. J. Henneberry (2005) Light response by Frankliniella occidentalis to white fluorescent light filtered through color films and ultraviolet and blue light-emmiting diodes. Southest Entomol. 30:149-154.
- de Jager, C. M., R. P. T. Butot, P. G. L. Klinkhamer, T. J. de Jong, K. Wolff and E. van der Meijden (1995) Genetic variation in chrysanthemum for resistance to Frankliniella occidentalis. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 77:277-287. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1995.tb02325.x
- de Kogel, W. J. and E. H. Kochier (2003) Thrips responses to plant odours. In: Marullo R. and Mound L (eds) Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Thysanoptera, Australian National Insect Collection, Canberra. pp. 189-190.
- Frey, J. E., R. V. Cortada and H. Helbling (1994) The potential of flower odours for use in population monitoring of western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis (Perg.) (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Biocontrol Sci. Technol. 4:177-186. https://doi.org/10.1080/09583159409355325
- Gerin, C. and T. Hance (1993) Evaluation of the damage caused by Frankliniella occidentalis (PERGANDE) (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) on the host plant. Influence of the predation by Amblyseius cucumeris (OUDEMANS) (Acari: Phitoseidae). Mededelingen Faculteit Landbouwkundige en Toegepaste Biologische Wetenschappen Universiteit Gent. 58:409-425.
- Higgins, C. J. and J. H. Mayer (1992) Sex ratio patterns and population dynamics of western flower thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Environ. Entomol. 21:322-330. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/21.2.322
- Hokkanen, H. M. T. (1991) Trap cropping in pest management. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 7:11-20.
- Hooper, A. M., J. A. Bennison, M. C. Luszniak, J. A. Pickett, E. M. Pow and L. J. Wadhams, (1999) Verbena X hybrid flower volatiles attractive to western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis. Pest. Sci. 55:660-662. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9063(199906)55:6<660::AID-PS2>3.0.CO;2-V
- Hoyle E. J. and M. Saynor (1993) Observations on the effectiveness of trap plants for the control of western flower thrips (Frankliniella occidentalis). IOBC/WPRS Bull. 16: 102-104.
- Javaid, I. and J. M. Joshi (1995) Trap cropping in insect pest management. J. Sust. Agric. 5:117-136. https://doi.org/10.1300/J064v05n01_09
- Katayama, H. (1998) Occurrence and control of western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis (PERGANDE) on vegetables and ornamentals. Plant Protect. 52:14-17.
- Kawai, A. and C. Kitamura (1987) Studies on population ecology of Thrips palmi Karny. 15. Evaluation of effectiveness of control methods using a simulation model. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 22:292-302.
- Koschier, E. H., W. J. de Kogel and J. H. Visser (2000) Assessing the attractiveness of volatile plant compounds to western flower thrips (Frankliniella occidentalis (Pergande)). J. Chem. Ecol. 26:2643-2655. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026470122171
- Mainali, B. P. and Y. T. Lim (2008) Evaluation of chrysanthemum flower model trap to attract two Frankliniella thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). J. Asia Pac. Entomol. 11:171-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2008.07.003
- Mainali, B. P. and U. T. Lim (2010) Circular yellow sticky trap with black background enhaces attraction of Frankliniella occidentalis (Pergande) (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 45:207-213. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.2010.207
- Moreno, D. S., W. A. Gregory and L. K. Tanigoshi (1984) Flight response of Aphytis melinus (Hymenoptera: Aphelinidae) and Scirtothrips citris (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) to trap color, size and shape. Environ. Entomol. 13:935-940 https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/13.4.935
- Muirhead-Thomson, R. C. (1991) Plant pest response to visual and olfactory 'sticky' traps. In: Trap responses of flying insects. Academicpress, London. CA, pp. 180-196.
- Parrella, M. P., C. O'Donnel, B. C. Murphy and C. Casey (2003) Thrips. In: Roberts A., T. Debener and S. Guidin (eds) Encyclopedia of rose science. Elsevier, Amsterdam. pp. 437-443.
- Pizzol, J., D. Nammoour, J. P. Hervouet, A. Bout, N. Desneux and L. Mailleret (2010) Comparison of two methods of monitoring thrips populations in a greenhouse rose crop. J. Pest Sci. 83:191-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10340-010-0286-5
- Rhainds, M. and J. L. Shipp (2003) Dispersal of adult western flower thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) on chrysanthemum plants: impact of feeding-induced senescence of inflorescences. Environ. Entomol. 32:1056-1065. https://doi.org/10.1603/0046-225X-32.5.1056
- Robb, K. L. (1989) Analysis of Frankliniella occidentalis (Pergande) as a pest of floricultural crops in California. PhD thesis, University of California, Riverside, CA.
- SAS Institute. (1990) SAS/STAT user's guide. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Schmidt, M. E. and J.E. Frey (1995) Monitoring of the western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis in greenhouses. Mededelingen Faculteit Landbouwkundige en Toegepaste Biologische Wetenschappen Universiteit Gent. (Belgium). Vol. 60:847-850.
- Seo, M. J., S. J. Kim, E. J. Kang, K. M. Kang, Y. M. Yu, M. H. Nam, S. G. Jeong and Y. N. Youn (2006) Attraction of the garden thrips, Frankliniella intonsa (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) to colored sticky cards in a Nonsan strawberry greenhouse. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 45:37-43.
- Silveira, L. C. P., V. H. P. Bueno and J. C. van Lenteren (2004) Orius insidiosus as biological control agent of thrips in greenhouse chrysanthemums in the tropics. Bulletin of Insectology. 57(2):11-17.
- Terry, I. (1997) Host selection communication and reproductive behavior. In: Lewis T (ed.) Thrips as crop pests. CAB International, Oxon. pp. 65-118.
- Teulon, D. A. J., D. R. Penman and P. M. J. Ramakers (1993) Volatile chemical for thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) hostfinding and applications for thrips pest management. J. Econ. Entomol. 86:1405-1415. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/86.5.1405
- Teulon, D. A. J., B. Hollister, R. C. Butler and E. A. Cameron (1999) Colour and odour responses of flying western flower thrips: wind tunnel and greenhouse experiments. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 93:9-19. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1570-7458.1999.00557.x
- Vernon, R. S. and D. R. Gillespie (1990) Spectral responsiveness of Frankliniella occidentalis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) determined by trap catches in greenhouses. Environ. Entomol. 19:1229-1241. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/19.5.1229