- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Virulence Assay of Entomopathogenic Fungus Metarhizium anisopliae for the Microbial Control of Spodoptera exigua
파밤나방의 생물적 방제를 위한 곤충병원성 곰팡이 Metarhizium anisopliae의 특성 및 병원성 검정
- Han, Ji Hee (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Hyeonggyeong (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Leem, Hun Tae (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jeong Jun (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, SangYeob (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA)
- 한지희 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 김형경 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 임훈태 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 김정준 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 이상엽 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과)
- Received : 2013.11.08
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.31
Beet armyworm, Spodoptera exigua is difficult to control using chemical insecticides because of the fast development of insecticide resistance. For eco-friendly beet armyworm managements, various control agents are required. Entomopathogenic fungus is one of the promise control agents as an alternative to chemical control agent. We isolated entomopathogenic fungi from soil samples of Yangpyeong, Gyeonggi-do by insect-bait method using Tenebio molitor and conducted bioassay to larva of beet armyworm. The result of bioassay, a selected strain FT83 showed 100% mortality against third instar larva of S. exigua. On the basis of morphological characteristics and analysis of 18srRNA sequence for ITS, the strain FT83 was identified as a Metarhizium anisopliae. The mortality of beet armyworm showed
Supported by : 국립농업과학원
- Charnley, A. K. (1997) Entomopathogenic fungi and their role in pest control, The mycota IV environmental and microbial relationships, Berlin, Springer., 185-201.
- Gho, H. G., S. G. Lee, B. P. Lee, K. M. Choi and J. W. Kim (1991) Simple mass-rearing of beet armyworm, Spodoptera exigua (Hubner)(Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), on an aritificial diet. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 29:180-183.
- Hajek A. E. and R. J. St. Leger (1994) Interactions between fungal pathogens and insect hosts. Annu. Rev. Entomol., 39: 293-322. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.39.010194.001453
- Jin, N. Y., S. Y. Jung, C. Park, S. K. Paek, M. J. Seo and Y. Y. Man (2009) The synergy effects of mixed treatment with tannic acid and Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. kurstaki KB100 against Spodoptera exigua. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol., 48(4):519-526. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2009.48.4.519
- Kang, E. J., M. G. Kang, M. J. Seo, S. N. Park, C. U. Kim and Y. M. Yu (2008) Toxicological effects of some insecticides against welsh onion beet armyworm (Spodoptera exigua). Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 47:155-162. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2008.47.2.155
- Lacey, L. A., R. Frutos, H. K. Kaya and P. Vail (2001) Insect pathogens as biological control agents : Do they have a future? Biol. Control. 21:230-248. https://doi.org/10.1006/bcon.2001.0938
- Lawrence A. Lacey (2012) Manual of techniques in invertebrate pathology. Second edition, 179-180.
- Marcos R. de Faria, Stephen P. Wraigh (2007) Mycoinsecticides and mycoacaricides : A comprehensive list with worldwide coverage and international classification of formulation types. Biol. Control. 43:237-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2007.08.001
- Meyling, N. V. (2007) Methods for isolation of entomopathogenic fungi from the soil environment. Manual for isolation of soil borne entomopathogenic fungi. p. 2-18.
- Moulton, J. K., D. A. Peppe, J. Dennehy, P. Dugger and D. Richter (1999) Studies of resistance of beet armyworm (Spodoptera exigua) to spinosad in field populations from the southern USA and southeast Asia. Proceedings of the Beltwide Cotton Conferences. Orlando. FL. USA 2, 884-887
- Muhammad, R. H., B. H. Qiong, Y. H. Mei, Z. Guohua and W. Qunfan (2009) Study of destruxin B and tea saponin, their interaction and synergism activities with Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki against Spodoptera exigua (Huber) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 44(3):419-428. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.2009.419
- Shoaib, F., A. S. Mushtaq, M. B. Khan and N. Muhammad (2012) Prevalence and effectiveness of Metarhizium anisopliae against Spodoptera exigua (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in Southern Punjab, Pakistan. Pakistan J. Zool., 44(3):753-758.
- Supakdamrongkul, P., A. Bhumiratana and C. Wiwat (2010) Characterization of an extracellular lipase from the biocontrol fungus, Nomuraea rileyi MJ and its toxicity toward Spodoptera litura. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 105:229-235.
- Tabashnik, B. E. and Y. Carriere (2004) Bt transgenic crops do not have favorable effects on resistant insects. J. Insect Sci. 4:1-4.
- vol.42, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5941/MYCO.2014.42.4.385
- Insecticidal Effect of an Entomopathogenic Fungus, Beauveria bassiana ANU1 to Spodoptera exigua and Plutella xylostella by Different Temperature and Humidity Conditions vol.19, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2015.19.2.125
- Selection and Characterization of Entomopathogenic Fungus, Beauveria bassiana for the Microbial Control of Spodoptera litura vol.22, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2018.22.4.269