- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Improvement Methods on Cabin Safety Actions in Aircraft Accidents -Focused on Cabin Crew Safety Performances & Passenger Perceptions of Cabin Safety Information -
항공기 비상사태에 대한 객실안전조치에 관한 연구 -객실승무원의 안전업무와 승객의 객실안전정보 인식을 중심으로-
- Received : 2013.10.20
- Accepted : 2013.12.18
- Published : 2013.12.31
Aircraft accidents these days, following the mega sizing trend of the aircraft, result in enormous losses of human lives apart from those of property, which cannot be replaced by any means. As most recently, in April 20, 2012, a Boeing 737 passenger plane departed Karachi on an augural flight to Islamabad, Pakistan, crashed close to an express highway on final approach, all 121 passengers and 6 crew members were killed. As such a large number of fatalities have been recorded in aircraft accidents while accident investigation results show that more than 95% of aircraft accidents are now survivable. There are three basic stages in surviving the aircraft accident: surviving the crash impact, the evacuation process and the hostile post evacuation environmental elements. These stages require the cabin crew's expeditious and appropriate actions on the basis of systematic and thorough cabin safety training in order to increase occupants' survivability, along with the passengers' preparedness. In this aspect, this paper examines the issues acting as the impediments to the passenger survival in inflight emergency situations, that are the deficiencies with cabin crew safety training, related performances and the shortcomings in passengers' knowledge on inflight safety information, leading to their inappropriate responses to emergency situations. These issues are analyzed and the root causes are identified, suggesting the resolving countermeasures.
- ICAO, "Annex 6 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, Part 1, Commercial Air Transport, Ninth Edition", July 2010, P.1-3.
- 법제처, "대한민국 항공법", 2013.07.01, 시행규칙 제218조(승무원 등의 탑승 등)제5항.
- FSF, "Cabin crews must capture passengers' attention in predeparture safety briefings", vol 35 No.4, July-August 2000, P.2.
- FAA, "Benefit Analysis for Aircraft 16-g Dynamic Seats", DOT/FAA/AR-00, April 2000, P.5.
- 교통안전공단, "항공기사고와 비상탈출", 2000, P.5.
- 국토교통부, "운항기술기준", 2013.09.11, 188.8.131.52 승객브리핑(Required Passenger Briefings), 184.108.40.206 승객브리핑 카드(Passenger Briefing Cards).
- NTSB, 2000. Emergency Evacuation of Commercial Airplanes, SS-00/01, 2000, P.62.
- FSF, "Cabin crews must capture passengers' attention in predeparture safety briefings", vol 35 No.4, July-August 2000, P.6.
- FSF, "Cabin crews must capture passengers' attention in predeparture safety briefings", vol 35 No.4, July-August 2000, P.7.
- 유경인, "항공승객의 객실안전정보 인식에 관한 연구", 한국항공대학교 박사학위논문, P.126.
- 건설교통부 항공사고조사위원회, "중국국제 항공공사 129편 항공기 사고조사 보고서", 2005, P.59
- FSF, "Many Passengers in Exit Seats Benefit from Additional Briefings", May-June, 2001, P.3.
- NTSB, 2000. Emergency Evacuation of Commercial Airplanes, SS-00/01, 2000, P.65.
- 교통안전공단, "객실안전", 1998, P.22
- FSF, "Attempts to Retrieve Carry-on Baggage Increase Risks During Evacuation", May-June, 2004, P.1
- Adapted from 대한항공, "Cabin Safety Manual", 2009.
- FSF, "Attempts to Retrieve Carry-on Baggage Increase Risks During Evacuation", May-June, 2004, P.3
- FSF, "Report Recommends Jumping onto Evacuation Slide as Best Egress Method for Adults Carrying Infants and Young Children", May-June, 2002, pp.3-4.
- 건설교통부 항공사고조사위원회, "중국국제 항공공사 129편 항공기 사고조사 보고서", 2005, P.56.
- 유경인, "항공승객의 객실안전정보 인식에 관한 연구", 한국항공대학교 박사학위논문, P.105.
- 이병선, "항공기 구조 및 비행안전", 백산출판사, 2008, P.162
- AAIB, UK, "Aircraft Accident Report on the Accident to McDonnell-Douglas MD-83, EC-FXI at Liverpool Airport on 10 May 2001", 2003, P.19.