- Volume 2 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A new low dielectric constant barium titanate - poly (methyl methacrylate) nanocomposite films
- Upadhyay, Ravindra H. (Department of Physics, Institute of Chemical Technology) ;
- Deshmukh, Rajendra R. (Department of Physics, Institute of Chemical Technology)
- Received : 2012.05.05
- Accepted : 2013.01.11
- Published : 2013.06.25
In the present investigation, nanocomposite films with poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) as a polymer matrix and barium titanate as a filler were prepared by solution casting method. Barium titanate nano particles were prepared using Ti(IV) triethanolaminato isopropoxide and hydrated barium hydroxide as precursors and tetra methyl ammonium hydroxide (TMAH) as a base. The nanocomposite films were characterized using XRD, FTIR, SEM and dielectric spectroscopy techniques. Dielectric measurements were performed in the frequency range 100 Hz-10 MHz. Dielectric constant of nanocomposites were found to depend on the frequency, the temperature and the filler fraction. Dissipation factors were also influenced by the frequency and the temperature but not much influenced by the filler fractions. The 10 wt% of BT-PMMA nanocomposite had the lowest dielectric constant of 3.58 and dielectric loss tangent of 0.024 at 1MHz and
- Ahmad, S., Ahmad, S. and Agnihotry, S.A. (2007), "Synthesis and characterization of in situ prepared poly (methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites", B. Mater. Sci., 30(1), 31-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12034-007-0006-9
- Ajayan, P.M., Schadler, L.S. and Braun, P.V. (2003), Nanocomposite science and technology, Wiley-VCH, (Ed.Weinheim).
- Bai, Y., Cheng, Z.Y., Bharti, V., Xu, H.S. and Zhang, Q.M. (2000), "High dielectric-constant ceramicpowder polymer composites", Appl. Phys. Lett., 76(25), 3804-3806. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.126787
- Bamfor, C.H. and Tipper, C.F H. (1975), Degradation of polymers. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Gensler, R., Groppel, P., Muhrer, V. and Muller, N. (2002), "Applications of nanoparticles in polymers for electronic and electrical engineering", Part. Part. Syst. Char., 19, 293-299. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-4117(200211)19:5<293::AID-PPSC293>3.0.CO;2-N
- George, S., Anjana, P.S., Sebastian, M.T., Krupka, J., Uma, S. and Philip, J. (2010), "Dielectric, mechanical and thermal properties of low-permittivity polymer-ceramic composites for microelectronic applications", Int. J. Appl. Ceram. Tec., 7(4), 461-474.
- Gross, S., Camozzo, D., Di Noto, V., Armelao, L. and Tondello, E. (2007), "PMMA: a key macromolecular component for dielectric low-k hybrid inorganic-organic polymer films", Eur. Polym. J., 43(3), 673-696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2006.12.012
- Haris, M.R.H.M., Kathiresan, S. and Mohan S. (2010), "FT-IR and FT-Raman spectra and normal coordinate analysis of poly methyl methacrylate", Der Pharma Chemica, 2(4), 316-323.
- Htoo, M.S. (1989), Microelectronic Polymers. Marcel Dekker Inc.(publisher), NY.
- Jancar, J., Douglas, J.F., Starr, F.W., Kumar, S.K., Cassagnau, P., Lesser, A.J., Sternstein, S.S. and Buehler, M.J. (2010), "Current issues in research on structure-property relationships in polymer nanocomposites", Polymer, 51(15), 3321-3343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2010.04.074
- Jordan, J., Jacob, K.I., Tannenbaum, R., Sharaf, M.A. and Jasiuk, I. (2005), "Experimental trends in polymer nanocomposites-a review", Mat. Sci. Eng. A - Struct., 393, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2004.09.044
- Kobayashi, Y., Kosuge, A., Tanase, T., Nagao, D. and Konno, M. (2005), "Fabrication of high capacitance ceramic-polymer nano-composite films", Mater. Forum, 29, 268-273.
- Kobayashi, Y., Kurosawa, A., Nagao, D. and Konno, M. (2009), "Fabrication of barium titanate nanoparticles- polymethylmethacrylate composite films and their dielectric properties", Polym. Eng. Sci., 49(6), 1069-1075. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.21352
- Mark, H.F. (1985), Encyclopedia of polymer science and technology, Wiley, NY.
- Messersmith, P.B. and Giannelis, E.P. (1994), "Synthesis and characterization of layered silicate-epoxy nanocomposites", Chem. Mater., 6(10), 1719-1725. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm00046a026
- Newnham, R.E., Skinner, D.P. and Cross, L.E. (1978), ''Connectivity and piezoelectric-pyroelectric composites'', Mater. Res. Bull., 13(6), 525-536. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5408(78)90161-7
- Paul, D.R. and Robeson, L.M. (2008), "Polymer nanotechnology: nanocomposites", Polymer, 49, 3187-3204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2008.04.017
- Popielarz, R., Chiang, C.K., Nozaki, R. and Obrzut, J. (2001), "Dielectric properties of polymer/ferroelectric ceramic composites from 100 Hz to 10 GHz", Macromolecules, 34(17), 5910-5915. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma001576b
- Sebastian, M.T., Jantunen, H. (2010), "Polymer-ceramic composites of 0-3 connectivity for circuits in electronics: a review", Int. J. Appl. Ceram. Tec., 7(4) 415-434.
- Setter, N. and Waser, R. (2000), "Electroceramic materials", Acta Mater., 48(1), 151-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(99)00293-1
- Singh, P.K. and Chandra, A. (2003), "Role of the dielectric constant of ferroelectric ceramic in enhancing the ionic conductivity of polymer electrolyte composite", J. Phys. D. Appl. Phys., 36, L93-L96. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/36/19/L01
- Singha, S. and Thomas, M.J. (2008a), "Permittivity and tan delta characteristics of epoxy nanocomposites in the frequency range of 1 MHz-1 GHz", IEEE T. Dielect. El. In., 15(1), 2-11. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-DEI.2008.4446731
- Singha, S. and Thomas, M.J. (2008b), "Dielectric properties of epoxy nanocomposites", IEEE T. Dielect. El. In., 15(1), 12-23. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-DEI.2008.4446732
- Skinner, D.P., Newnham, R.E. and Cross, L.E. (1978), ''Flexible composite transducers", Mater. Res. Bull., 13(6), 599-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5408(78)90185-X
- Tomar, A.K., Mahendia, S. and Kumar, S. (2011), "Structural characterization of PMMA blended with chemically synthesized PAni", Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 2(3), 327-333.
- Upadhyay, R.H., Argekar, A.P. and Deshmukh, R.R. (2011), "Synthesis and characterization of barium titanate nanoparticles by sol-precipitation method using Ti(IV) triethanolaminato isopropoxide and barium hydroxide", BVDU Sci. Res. J., 8(2), 136-141.
- Investigation of dielectric properties of newly prepared β-phase polyvinylidene fluoride–barium titanate nanocomposite films vol.71, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2013.08.004
- Preparation and Characterization of Barium Titanate Composite Film vol.4, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.02.216