- Volume 24 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on validity verification of Korean version of DELES and its relationship with perceived learning achievement and cyber education satisfaction
한국판 원격교육학습환경척도의 타당도 검증과 지각된 학업성취도 및 사이버교육만족도와의 관계 연구
- Kim, Jungjoo (BK21GGTRE, Korea University)
- 김정주 (고려대학교 BK21교육학국제화사업단)
- Received : 2012.11.27
- Accepted : 2012.12.27
- Published : 2013.01.31
This study it to verify the validity of Korean version of DELES (distance education learning environment survey) and analyze its relationship with learning achievement and distance education satisfaction. The target population of this study is students of K cyber university and a total of 254 cases are used for the analysis. Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis is applied to verify 6 factors of DELES and structural equation analysis is applied to examine the relationship between distance education learning environment and learning achievement and distance education satisfaction. The study result shows that DELES is composed of six factors such as instructor support, student interaction & collaboration, personal relevance, authentic learning, active learning and student autonomy and its model fits are appropriate. The result of structural equation analysis shows distance education learning environment significantly influences distance education satisfaction directly as well as indirectly mediated by learning achievement. Learning achievement also significantly influences distance education satisfaction. Conclusions and implications are followed.
- Astin, A. W. (1985). Achieving educational excellence, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Bentler, P. M. (1990). Comparative fit indexes in structural models. Psychological Bulletin, 107, 238. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- Biggs, M. J. G. (2006). Comparison of student perceptions of classroom instruction: Traditional, hybrid, and distance education. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education-TOJDE, 7, 46-51.
- Cattell, R. B. (1978). The scientific use of factor analysis in the behavioral and life sciences, Plenum, New York.
- Cho, S., Kim, C., Kim, B., Kim, C. and Kim, H. (2001). The effects of a portfolio system on elementary school students' socio-pyschological classroom environment. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 11, 36-43.
- Choi, H. S., Lee, H. K. and Ha, J. (2012). The influence of smartphone addiction on mental health, campus life and personal relations-Focusing on K university students. J ournal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 23, 10005-1015.
- Comrey, A. L. and Lee, H. B. (1992). A first course in factor analysis, Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- Diaz, D. P. (2002). Online drop rates revisited. The Technology Source, May/June, 93-106.
- Fisher, D. L. and Fraser, B. J. (1983). Validity and use of the classroom environment scale. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 5, 261-171. https://doi.org/10.3102/01623737005003261
- Fraser, B. J. (1998). Classroom environment instruments: Development, validity and applications. Learning Environment Research, 1, 7-33. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009932514731
- Fraser, B. J., Anderson, G. J. and Walberg, H. J. (1982). Assessment of learning environments: Manual for the learning environment inventory (LEI) and my class inventory (MCI), Western Australian Institute of Technology, Perth.
- Hong, M., Kang, N. and Kim, J. (2010). Middle school students' perceptions of science classroom learning environments. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 30, 68-79.
- Hu, L. T. and Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 6, 1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Kang, J. and Jung, S. (2009). An analysis of the factors influencing satisfaction, reliance, and loyalty to the life insurance companies. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 20, 713-717.
- Kim, C. and Cho, S. (2000). The effects of a portfolio system on elementary school students' science achievement and classroom environment. The Journal of the Institute of Science Education, 21, 95-107.
- Kim, J. (2011). Developing an instrument to measure social presence in distance higher education. British Journal of Educational Technology, 42, 763-777. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01107.x
- Lackey, N. R., Sullivan, J. J. and Pett, M. A. (2003). Making sense of factor analysis: The use of factor analysis for instrument development in health care research, Sage Publications, Incorporated, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Moos, R. H. (1974). Systems for the assessment and classification of human environments: An overview. In Issues in Social Ecology: Human Milieus, edited by R. H. Moos and P. M. Insel, National Press Books, Palo Alto, CA, 5-29.
- Moos, R. H. and Trickett, E. J. (1974). Classroom environment scale: A social climate scale manual, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- National Center for Education Statistics. (2008). Distance education at degree-granting postsecondary in-stitutions: 2006-07, 2009-44, US Department of Education, Washington, DC.
- Nix, R. K., Fraser, B. J. and Ledbetter, C. E. (2005). Evaluating an integrated science learning environment using the constructivist learning environment survey. Learning Environments Research, 8, 109-133. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10984-005-7251-x
- Ozkok, A., Walker, S. L. and Buyukozturk, S. (2009). Reliability and validity of a Turkish version of the DELES. Learning Environment Research, 12, 175-190. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10984-009-9060-0
- Rovai, A. P. (2003). In search of higher persistence rates in distance education online programs. The Internet and Higher Education, 6, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1096-7516(02)00158-6
- Sahin, I. (2007). Predicting student satisfaction in distance education and learning environments. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education-TOJDE, 8, 113-119.
- Taylor, P. C. and Fraser, B. J. (1991). CLES: An instrument for assessing constructivist learning environments. In Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Lake Geneva, WI.
- Treagust, D. F. and Fraser, B. J. (1986). Validation and application of the college and university classroom environment inventory (CUCEI), In Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Tucker, L. R. and Lewis, C. (1973). A reliability coefficient for maximum likelihood factor analysis. Psychometrika, 38, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02291170
- Walker, S. L. (2005). Modifying formative evaluation techniques for distance education class evaluation. Turkish online Journal of Distance Education, 6, 1-4.
- Walker, S. L. and Fraser, B. J. (2005). Development and validation of an instrument for assessing distance education learning environments in higher education: The distance education learning environments survey (DELES). Learning Environments Research, 8, 289-308. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10984-005-1568-3