- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Magnetic Force on Rheological and Compressive Properties of Magneto-Rheological Rubber Composites with Iron Particle and Carbon Nanotubes
자기력이 철 분말 및 탄소나노튜브 강화 자기유동 고무 복합재료의 유동 및 압축 특성에 미치는 영향
- Ryu, Sang Ryeoul (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yeungnam Univ.) ;
- Lee, Dong Joo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yeungnam Univ.)
- Received : 2012.05.07
- Accepted : 2012.10.04
- Published : 2013.02.04
An orthotropic magneto-rheological rubber composite (MRRC) based on a general-purpose rubber can be manufactured by using an electromagnetic device during the curing processes of rubber mixtures. The magnetic transmissivity of MRRCs increases with the iron particle (IP) content, and that of aligned MRRCs with a 2-T magnetic field is 1.8 to 2 times higher as compared to that of randomly dispersed MRRCs. The effect of a 2-T magnetic field on carbon nanotube (CNT) reinforced MRRC has been identified clearly, and the magnetic transmissivity is found to be 3.7%. The compressive stress of MRRC (IP 90 + CNT 5, 2 T alignment) under a magnetic field of 0.49 T is 2.1 times higher as compared to that of the matrix. The MR effect of MRRC increases with the IP content, and that of aligned MRRC with the IP 90 and 2 T magnetic field is 20.4%. It is confirmed that the magnetic field when making the specimen and when performing the compression test greatly impacts the compression characteristics.
Magneto-Rheological Rubber Composite;Magnetic Field;Iron Particle;Carbon Nano-Tube;Magneto-Rheological Effect
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- Koo, J. H., Khan, F., Jang, D. D. and Jung, H. J., 2009, "Dynamic Characterization and Modeling of Magneto-rheological Elastomers under Compressive Loadings," J. of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 149, 012093. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/149/1/012093
- Bellan, C. and Bossis, G., 2002, "Field Dependence of Viscoelastic Properties of MR Elastomers," Int. J. Mod. Phys. B, Vol. 16, pp. 2447-2453. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979202012499
- Zhang, W., Gong, X. L. and Chen, L., 2010, "A Gaussian Distribution Mode l of Anisotropic Magnetorheological Elastomers," J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 322, No. 23, pp. 3797-3801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2010.08.004
- Farshad, M. and Benine, A., 2004, "Magnetoactive Elastomer Composites," Polymer Testing, Vol. 23, pp. 347-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9418(03)00103-X
- Stepanov, G. V., Abramchuk, S. S., Grishin, D. A., Nikitin, L. V., Kramarenko, E. Y. and Khokhlov, A. R., 2007, "Effect of a Homogeneous Magnetic Field on the Viscoelastic Behavior of Magnetic Elastomers," Polymer, Vol. 48, pp. 488-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.11.044
- Zhou, G. Y., 2004, "Complex Shear Modulus of a Magnetorheological Elastomer," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 13, pp. 1203-1210. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/13/5/024
- Ginder, J. M., Nichols, M. E., Elie, L. D. and Clark, S. M., 2000, "Controllable-stiffness Components Based on Magnetorheological Elastomers" Smart Structures and Materials, 2000: Smart Structures and Integrated Systems, Proc. SPIE 3985, p. 418-425.
- Ryu, S. R., Lee, D. J. and Lee, J. H., 2010, "Effect of Magnetic Force on the Compressive and Dynamic Properties of Magnetorheological Elastomers," J. of the Korean Society of Composite Materials, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 17-22.
- Kwak, M. K., Jung, M. S., Bae, B. C., Heo, S. and Song, M. H., 2007, "Experimental Study on the Damping and Stiffness Characteristics of MR Elastomers," Proceedings of The KSNVE Spring Annual Meeting, No. KSNVE07S-33-06.
- Yoon, J. H., Jeong, J. E., Yang, I. H., Lee, J. Y. and Oh, J. E., 2009, "Measurement of Shear Modulus Increment Ratio of Magneto-rheological Elastomer Based on Silicon Matrix due to Induced Current," Proceedings of The KSME Fall Annual Meeting, pp. 988-991.
- Yoon, J. H., Jeong, J. E., Yang, I. H., Lee, J. Y. and Oh, J. E., 2009, "Experimental evaluation on Shear Modulus of Anisotropic Magnetorheological Elastomer due to Induced Current," Proceedings of The KSPE Fall Annual Meeting, pp. 119-120.
- Chung, K. H. and Yoon, K. S., 2010, "Basic Study for Development of Magneto-rheological Elastomer," Elastomers and Composites, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 106-111.
- Chen, L., Gong, X. L. and Li, W. H., 2008, "Effect of Carbon Black on the Mechanical Performances of Magnetorheological Elastomers," Polymer Testing, Vol. 27, pp. 340-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2007.12.003