- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Classification of Obstacle Shape for Generating Walking Path of Humanoid Robot
인간형 로봇의 이동경로 생성을 위한 장애물 모양의 구분 방법
- Park, Chan-Soo (Interaction and Robotics Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Doik (Interaction and Robotics Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.06.14
- Accepted : 2012.09.25
- Published : 2013.02.04
To generate the walking path of a humanoid robot in an unknown environment, the shapes of obstacles around the robot should be detected accurately. However, doing so incurs a very large computational cost. Therefore this study proposes a method to classify the obstacle shape into three types: a shape small enough for the robot to go over, a shape planar enough for the robot foot to make contact with, and an uncertain shape that must be avoided by the robot. To classify the obstacle shape, first, the range and the number of the obstacles is detected. If an obstacle can make contact with the robot foot, the shape of an obstacle is accurately derived. If an obstacle has uncertain shape or small size, the shape of an obstacle is not detected to minimize the computational load. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm efficiently classifies the shapes of obstacles around the robot in real time with low computational load.
Obstacle Detection;Range Segmentation;Humanoid Robot;3D Depth Map
- Fu, C. and Chen, K., 2008, "Gait Synthesis and Sensory Control of Stair Climbing for a Humanoid Robot," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 2111-2120.
- Tajima, R., Honda, D. and Suga K., 2009, "Fast Running Experiments Involving a Humanoid Robot," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1571-1576.
- Kim, J.Y., Park, I.W. and Oh, J.H., 2007, "Walking Control Algorithm of Biped Humanoid Robot on Uneven and Inclined Floor," Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, vol. 48, no. 4, pp 457-484. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10846-006-9107-8
- Park, C.-S., Ha, T., Kim, J. and Choi, C.-H., 2010, "Trajectory Generation and Control for a Biped Robot Walking Upstairs," International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 339-351. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-010-0220-x
- Okada, K., Ogura, T., Haneda, A. and Inaba, M., 2005, "Autonomous 3d Walking System for a Humanoid Robot Based on Visual Step Recognition and 3D Foot Step Planner," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 623-628.
- Gutmann, J., Fukuchi, M. and Fujita, M., 2008, "3d Perception and Environment Map Generation for Humanoid Robot Navigation," The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1117-1134. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364908096316
- Heracles, M., Bolder, B. and Goerick, C., 2009, "Fast Detection of Arbitrary Planar Surfaces from Unreliable 3D Data," IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5717-5724.
- Choi, J.-M., Lee, S.-J. and Won, M., 2011, "Self- Learning Navigation Algorithm for Vision-Based Mobile Robots Using Machine Learning Algorithms", Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 247-254. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-010-1023-y
- Park, C.-S., Seo, E.-H., Kim, D. and You, B.-J., 2011, "Stair Boundary Extraction Using the 2D Laser Scanner," IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 1538-1543.
- Johnson, S. C., 1967, "Hierarchical Clustering Schemes," Psychometrika, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 241-254. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02289588