- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Imperfection Mode of Thin Metallic Sandwich Plate with Pyramidal Metallic Inner Structures
피라미드형 금속 내부구조체를 가진 얇은 금속샌드위치 판재의 결함 모드
- Ahn, Dong-Gyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chosun Univ.) ;
- Sun, Hyang-Sun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chosun Univ.)
- Received : 2012.06.13
- Accepted : 2013.01.11
- Published : 2013.02.04
Thin metallic sandwich plate with pyramidal metallic inner structures is manufactured from a continuous projection welding between face sheets and inner structures. Due to the welding pressure, imperfections of inner structures induced by the deformation of the inner structures occur. The imperfections affect the response of the thin metallic sandwich plate subjected to low-velocity impact loading. The goal of this paper is to obtain a proper dominant imperfection mode of the thin metallic sandwich plate with pyramidal metallic inner structures. The variation of impact responses of the thin metallic sandwich plate for different imperfection modes are investigated by finite element analysis. The results of the FE analysis are compared to those of drop impact experiments. From the results of the comparison, it has been shown that the dominant imperfection mode of the thin metallic sandwich plate with pyramidal metallic inner structures is all type of symmetric imperfection mode with symmetrical imperfections of four struts.
Imperfection Mode;Thin Metallic Sandwich Plate;Pyramidal Metallic Inner Structures;Finite Element Analysis;Impact Response
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Park, C. W., Kwon, K. S., Kim, W. B., Min, B. K., Park, S. J., Sung, I. H. and Yoon, Y. S., 2009, "Energy Consumption Reduction Technology in Manufacturing - A Selective Review of Policies, Standards, and Research," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 151-171. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-009-0107-z
- Wadley, H. N. G., Fleck, N. A. and Evans, A. G., 2003, "Fabrication and Structural Performance of Periodic Cellular Metal Sandwich Structures," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 63, Issue 16, pp. 2331-2343. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00266-5
- Ahn, D. G., Lee, S. H., Jung, C. G., Hahn, G. Y., and Yang, D. Y., 2007, "Mechanical Properties and Failure Characteristics of ISB Panel with Metallic Pyramidal Inner Structures," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 187-188, Issue 1, pp. 521-525. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.11.191
- Hyun, S. I., Choi, J. E. and Kang, K. J., 2007, "Mechanical Behaviors under Compression in Wirewoven Bulk Kagome Truss," Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 31, No. 7, pp. 792-799.
- Ahn, D. G. and Sun, H. S., 2011, "Variation of Impact Characteristics of the Thin Lightweight Metallic Sandwich Plate with Truss Inner Structures According to Welding Imperfections," Proceedings of 2011 Spring Annual Meeting of Korean Society of Precision Engineering, pp. 821-822.
- Xue, Z. and Hutchinson, J. W., 2006, "Crush Dynamics of Square Honeycomb Sandwich Cores," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 65, Issue 13, pp. 2221-2245. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1535
- Lee, S., Barthelat, F., Hutchinson J. W. and Espinosa, H. D., 2006, "Dynamic Failure of Metallic Pyramidal Truss Core Materials - Experiments and Modeling," International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 22, Issue 11, pp. 2118-2145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2006.02.006
- Ahn, D. G., Moon, G. J., Jung, C. G., Han, and G. Y., Yang, D. Y., 2008, "Impact Behavior of a STS 304 H Sheet with a Thickness of 0.7 mm," The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Vol. 34, No. 1C, pp. 57-71.
- Dynamic failure characteristics of metallic sandwich plate with repeated metallic truss cores subjected to a plane strain drop impact condition vol.1, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-014-0005-4
- Research trends of metallic sandwich plates with single layer periodically repeated metallic inner structures (PRMIS) - focused on design, manufacturing and formability vol.2, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-015-0046-3