- Volume 62 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Performance Study on Many-core Processor Architectures with SPEC Benchmark Programs
SPEC 벤치마크 프로그램에 대한 매니코어 프로세서의 성능 연구
- Lee, Jongbok (Dept. of Information and Communication Engineering, Hansung University)
- 이종복 (한성대 정보통신공학과)
- Received : 2012.12.15
- Accepted : 2013.01.25
- Published : 2013.02.01
In order to overcome the complexity and performance limit problems of superscalar processors, the multi-core architecture has been prevalent recently. Usually, the number of cores mostly used for the multi-core processor architecture ranges from 2 to 16. However in the near future, more than 32-cores are likely to be utilized, which is called as many-core processor architecture. Using SPEC 2000 benchmarks as input, the trace-driven simulation has been performed for the 32 to 1024 many-core architectures extensively. For 1024-cores, the average performance scores 15.7 IPC, but the performance increase rate is saturated.
Supported by : 한성대학교
- P. K. Dubey, G. B. Adams III, and M. J. Flynn, "Instruction Window Size Trade-Offs and Characterization of Program Parallelism," IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 43, pp 431-442, Apr. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/12.278481
- D. E. Culler and J. P. Singh, "Parallel Computer Architecture," Morgan Kauffmann Publishers, Inc. Aug. 1998.
- S. W. Keckler, K. Olukotun, and H. P. Hofsee, "Multicore Processors and Systems," Springer. 2009.
- T. Ungerer, B. Robic, and J. Silk, "Multithreaded Processors," The Computer Journal, Vol. 45, No. 3, 2002
- D. Pham et. al, "The Design and Implementation of a First-Generation CELL processor," ISSCC 2005.
- D. Genbrugge and L. Eeckhout, "Chip Multiprocessor Design Space Exploration through Statistical Simulation," IEEE Transactions on Computers 58(12), pp.1668-1681, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2009.77
- A. Rico, A. Duran. F. Cabarcas, Y. Etsion, A. Ramirex, and M. Valero, "Trace-driven Simulation of Multithreaded Applications," ISPASS, 2011.
- M. Frankilin, G. S. Sohi, "ARB: A Hardware Mechanism for Dynamic Reordering of Memory References," IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 45, No. 5, May 1996.
- T. Austin, E. Larson, and D. Ernest, "SimpleScalar : An Infrastructure for Computer System Modeling," Computer, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 59-67, Feb. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/2.982917
- T-Y. Yeh and Y. N. Patt, "Alternative Implementations of Two-Level Adaptive Branch Prediction," in Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pp.124-134, May 1992.
- S. Biswas, et. al, "Multi-Execution : Multicore Caching for Data-Similar Executions," International Symposium on Computer Architecture, Jun. 2009.
- M. Monchiero, et. al, "How to Simulate 1000 Cores," ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture News archive, Vol. 37, Issue 2, May 2009, pp. 10-19 https://doi.org/10.1145/1577129.1577133
- A. Ghosh, S. Devadas, K. Keutzer and J. White, "Estimation of Average Switching Activity in Combinational and Sequential Circuits," ACM/IEE Design Automation Conf., pp. 253-259, 1992.
- Influence of insulators on the propagation characteristics of UHF signals pp.19314973, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tee.22787