- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on Evaluation of Effective Thermal Conductivity of Unsaturated Soil Using Average Capillary Pressure and Network Model
평균 모세관압과 네트워크 모델을 이용한 불포화토의 유효 열전도도 산정에 관한 연구
- Han, Eunseon (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Lee, Chulho (Geotechnical Engineering Research Division, SOC Research Institute, KICT) ;
- Choi, Hyun-Jun (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Choi, Hangseok (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.)
- 한은선 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학부) ;
- 이철호 (한국건설기술연구원 SOC성능연구소 Geo-인프라 연구실) ;
- 최현준 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학부) ;
- 최항석 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학부)
- Received : 2012.10.05
- Accepted : 2012.11.28
- Published : 2013.01.31
Thermal conduction of the particulate composites or granular materials can be widely used in porous materials and geotechnical engineering. And it has continued to develop "effective thermal conductivity" of medium by modeling energy relationship among particles in medium. This study focuses on the development of the effective thermal conductivity at the unsaturated conditions of soils using the modified network model approach assisted by synthetic 3D random packed systems (DEM method, Discrete Element Method) at the particle scale. To verify the network model, three kinds of glass beads and the Jumunjin sand are used to obtain experimental values at various unsaturated conditions. The PPE (Pressure Plate Extractor) test is then performed to obtain SWCC (Soil-Water Characteristic Curve) of soil samples. In the modified network model, SWCC is used to adjust the equivalent radius of thermal cylinder at contact area between particles. And cutoff range parameter to define the effective zone is also adjusted according to the SWCC at given conditions. From a series of laboratory tests and the proposed network model, the modified network model which adopts a SWCC shows a good agreement in modeling thermal conductivity of granular soils at given conditions. And an empirical correlation between the fraction of the mean radius (
Grant : 주요사업 극한지 지반 안정화 기술 개발 과제
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP), 한국건설기술연구원
- ASTM (1997), "Test method for capillary-moisture relationships for coarse- and medium-textured soils by porous-plate apparatus". American Society for Testing and Materials, D 2325-68.
- Batchelor G. K. and O'Brien R.W. (1977), "Thermal or electrical conduction through a granular material." Proc R Soc London, A355, pp.313-333.
- Bruggeman D. (1935). "Berechnung verschiedener physikalischer konstanten von heterogenen substanzen." Ann. Physik (Liepzig), Vol.24, pp.636-679.
- Choi, H., Lee, C., Choi, H.-B., and Woo, S. (2008), "A study on the physical characteristics of grout material for backfilling ground heat exchanger", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society (KGS), Vol.24, No.1, pp.37-49.
- Feng, Y. Y., Han, K., Li, C. F., and Owen, D. R. J. (2008), "Discrete thermal element modeling of heat conduction in particle systems: Basic formulations", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol.227, Issue10, pp.5072-5089. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2008.01.031
- Hertz, H. (1895), Gesammelte Werke, vol. 1:Schriften Vermischten Inhalts. J.A. Barth, Leipzig, Germany (in German)
- Kersten, M. S. (1949), "Laboratory research for the determination of the thermal properties of soils." Research Laboratory Investigations, Engineering Experiment Station, Technical Report 23, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Kanuparthi, S., Subbarayan, G., Siegmund, T., and Sammakia, B. (2008), "An efficient network model for determining the effective thermal conductivity of particulate thermal interface materials." IEEE, Trans Compon Packag Technol, Vol.31, No.3, pp.611-621. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCAPT.2008.2001839
- LanDauer, R. (1952), "The electrical resistance of binary metallic mixtures", J. Appl. Phys, Vol.23, pp.799-784.
- Maxwell, J. C. (1873), Electricity and Magnetism, 1st ed. Oxford, U.K. Clarendon
- Mindlin, R. D. and Deresiewicz, H. (1953), "Elastic Spheres in Contact under Varying Oblique Forces", J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 20, pp.327-344.
- Moon, H. and Kim, D. (2011), "Unsaturated Soil-Water Characteristics Curve with Silt Contents for Nak-Dong River Sand", Journal of Korea Geo-environmental Society, Vol.12, No.2, pp.23-33.
- PFC3D. (2006) Particle flow code manuals in three dimensions. Itasca Consulting Group.
- Song, Y., Lee, N., Hwang, W., and Kim, T., (2010) "Stability analysis of a unsaturated infinite slope considering the suction stress during the rainfall period", 2010 KSEG Conference, 25-26 Nov., Muju, Korea, pp.53-57.
- Torquato S. (2008). Random Heterogeneous Materials. New York, Springer-Verlag, pp.460-484.
- Van Genuchten, M. T. (1980). "A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils." Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol.44, pp.892-898. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1980.03615995004400050002x
- Yun, T. S. and Evans, T. M. (2010). "Three-dimensional random network model for thermal conductivity in particulate materials." Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.37, pp.991-998. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2010.08.007