- Volume 23 Issue 3
Efficacy of Microcurrent Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation with Different Types of Stimulating Electrodes
미세전류치료기 전극 종류에 따른 효능 비교
- Choi, Hyo-Jeong (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung-Hee University) ;
- Kim, Sung-Soo (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung-Hee University)
- Published : 2013.07.31
Objectives The purpose of this study was to evaluate the most effective stimulating electrode in Microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulation (MENS) for pain relief, and to apply to the treatment of Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Methods We included 45 participants who met the inclusion criteria. DOMS of both Triceps Surae Muscles were experimentally induced through eccentric contractions. 24-hours after induction of DOMS, who scored more than 40 mm in visual analogue scale (VAS) were randomly assigned into three groups (n=44). In 15 of them, needle electrodes were inserted into BL57, BL56. In 15 of them, surface electrodes were applied on the same points and the others were treated with manual acupuncture. The effects of pain relief were assessed by visual analogue scale (VAS), mechanical pain threshold (MPT), surface electromyography (SEMG). Results In VAS, group comparison had no significant difference after all treatments had done. The difference in VAS between the time before the treatment was started (Day 2) and after all treatments were completed was greater in Acupuncture group than that of needle-electrode group. In MPT, there was no significant difference among groups. Electrical contraction decreased significantly at 2nd before-after treatment comparison in needle-electrode MENS group. But fatigue scores were not significantly different between groups. Conclusions The results suggest that the types of electrodes has no significant effect on microcurrent therapy in DOMS.
- 문화체육관광부. 2010 국민생활체육 참여 실태조사. 서울:문화체육관광부. 2011:65-7.
- Amstrong RB. Mechanisms of exercise-induced delayed onset muscular sorenss. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1986;16:529-38.
- Armstrong RB, Oglivie RW, Schwane JA. Eccentric exercise-induced injury to rat skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol. 1983;54:80-93.
- Friden J, Sfakianos PN, Hargens AR. Muscle soreness and intramuscular fluid pressure: comparison between eccentric and concentric load. J Appl Physiol. 1986;61:2175-79.
- Evans WJ. Exercise induced skeletal muscle damage. Physician Sports Medicine. 1987;15:89-90.
- Childs A, Jacobs C, Kaminski T, Halliwell B, Leeuwenburgh C. Supplementation with vitamin C and N-acetyl-cysteine increases oxidative stress in humans after an acute muscle injury induced by eccentric exercise. Free Radic Biol Med. 2001;31(6):745-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00640-2
- 연창호, 정석희. 지연성 근육통의 근복부와 근건이행부 자침효능 비교. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2012;22(2):219-28.
- Carley HI, Wanapel SF. Electrotherapy for acceleration of wound healing: low intensity direct current. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1985;66:443-6.
- Cheng N. The effect of electric current on ATP generation protein synthesis and membrane trasport in skin. Clin Orthop. 1982;171:264-72.
- Rapaski D, Isles S, Kulig K, Boyce D. Microcurrent electrical stimulation: a comparison of two protocols in reducing delayed onset muscle soreness. Phys Ther. 1991;71:S116. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/71.2.116
- 정영종, 고수정, 유혜영, 정도영. 지연성 근육통에 대한 경피신경 전기자극과 미세전류 신경근 자극의 효과 비교. 한국전문물리치료학회지. 2000;7(2):76-87.
- Allen JD, Mattacola CG, Perrin DH. Effect of microcurrent stimulation on delayed-onset muscle soreness: a double-blind comparison. J Athl Train. 1999;34(4):334-7.
- 김성욱, 이종수, 김성수, 신현대, 정석희. 미세전류 전침이 스트레스 관련 호르몬에 미치는 영향. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2003;13(4):1-18.
- Lambert I, Marcus P, Burgess T, Noakes TD. Electromembrane microcurrent therapy reduces signs and symptoms of muscle damage. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002;34(4):602-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200204000-00007
- Curtis D, Fallows S, Morris M, McMakin C. The efficacy of frequency specific microcurrent therapy on delayed onset muscle soreness. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010;14:272-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2010.01.009
- 김호준, 정석희, 이종수, 김성수, 신현대. 미세전류전침이 요통에 미치는 영향. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2001;11(2):1-14.
- 윤기성. 경피전기신경자극치료에서 자극 전극 종류에 따른 진통 효과 비교. 대한재활의학회지. 1999;23(2):350-7.
- 류지미, 김성수, 김경석, 정석희. 미세전류치료의 최근 임상연구논문 고찰. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2008;18(4):121-33.
- Bakowski P, Musielak B, Sip P, Biegariski G. Effects of massage on delayed-onset muscle soreness. Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 2008;73(4):261-5.
- Gault W, Gatens P. Use of low intensity direct current in management of ischemic skin ulcers. Phys Ther. 1976;56:265-9.
- Nessler JP, Mass DP. Direct current electrical stimulation of tendon healing in vitro. Clin Orthop. 1985;217:303.
- 한태륜, 방문석. 재활의학. 서울:군자출판사. 2008:225-8.
- 안영기. 경혈학총서. 서울:성보사. 2002:321-3, 414-5.
- Langevin HM, Churchill DL, Cipolla MJ. Mechanical signaling through connective tissue: a mechanism for the therapeutic effect of acupuncture. FASEB J. 2001;15:2275-82. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.01-0015hyp
- Huang ST, Chen GY, Lo HM, Lin JG, Lee YS, Kuo CD. Increase in the vagal modulation by acupuncture at neiguan point in the healthy subjects. Am J Chin Med. 2005;33:157-64. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X0500276X
- Kuo TC, Lin CW, Ho FM. The soreness and numbness effect of acupuncture on skin blood flow. Am J Chin Med. 2004;32:117-29. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X04001825
- Moon PD, Jeong HJ, Kim SJ, An HJ, Lee HJ, Yang WM, Park SK, Hong SH, Kim HM, Um JY. Use of electroacupuncture at ST36 to inhibit anaphylactic and inflammatory reaction in mice. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2007;14:24-31. https://doi.org/10.1159/000107285
- Hwang BG, Min BI, Kim JH, Na HS, Park DS. Effects of electroacupuncture on the mechanical allodynia in the rat model of neuropathic pain. Neurosci Lett. 2002;320:49-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3940(02)00027-7
- Biella G, Sotgiu ML, Pellegata G, Paulesu E, Castiglioni I, Fazio F. Acupuncture produces central activations in pain regions. Neuroimage. 2001;14:60-6. https://doi.org/10.1006/nimg.2001.0798
- Ikeda H, Asai T, Murase K. Robust changes of afferent-induced excitation in the rat spinal dorsal horn after conditioning high-frequency stimulation. J Neurophysiol. 2000;83:2412-20.
- Zhao ZQ. Neural mechanism underlying acupuncture analgesia. Progress in Neurobiology. 2008;85:355-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2008.05.004
- Romita VV, Suk A, Henry JL. Parametric study on electroacupuncture like stimulation in a rat model: effects of intensity, frequency, and duration of stimulation on evoked antinociception. Brain Res Bull. 1997;42:289-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-9230(96)00264-X