- Volume 23 Issue 3
The Review on the Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials of Bee Venom in the Journal of Korean Medicine
봉독을 이용한 무작위배정 임상연구의 국내 현황
- Lee, Yong-Seok ;
- Lee, Young-Joon ;
- Han, Chang-Hyun
- 이용석 ;
- 이영준 ;
- Published : 2013.07.31
Objectives We will provide basic information on bee venom clinical tests and aid the practical use of bee venom in such tests, through examination of RCT research related to bee venom that was reported domestically. Methods We collected 365 articles on Bee venom study result from the OASIS system using the Keyword 'bee venom, apitoxin, apitherapy, bee sting'. The initially selected theses were primarily screened for clinical research. Out of these, case studies and non randomized controlled trial (non-RCT) were ruled out. As a result, 39 studies of randomized controlled trial (RCT) research were chosen as the subjects of study. Results RCT research related to bee venom was first presented in 2003, and 39 studies have been published until 2012. 18 studies were tests to confirm the effectiveness of bee venom, 7 studies were comparisons between SBV and BV, and 13 studies were comparisons with other types of treatment. Research conducted through appropriate randomization methods were 20 studies, and inappropriate randomization methods were used in 19 studies. In therms of Jadad score, 12 studies received 4~5 points, 15 studies received 1-3 points, and 12 studies received zero point. Conclusions In order to assure good quality RCT research, appropriate guidelines should be provided, and proper evaluation standards should be established. In-depth study is needed concerning the difference of responses to treatment according to the types of treatment received. A standardization of treatment should be reached as a result.
Bee venom;Pharmacopuncture;Clinical trial;RCT
- Habermann E. Chemistry, phamacology and toxicology of bee, wasp and hornet venoms. in venomous animals and their venoms. New York:Academic Press. 1971:61-93.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute Sience Committee. Pharmacopuncture. Seoul:Elsevierkorea. 2008:23-6.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncture Procedure Guide. Seoul:Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. 2000:185-202.
- Kim MH. Bee venom therapy and bee acupuncture therapy. Seoul:Korean Education Plan. 1992:20-176.
- Ghost AK. Clinical applications and update on evidencebased medicine. J Assoc Physicians India. 2007;55:787-94.
- Lee MS, Pittler Max H, Ernst E. Bee venom acupuncture for musculoskeletal pain: a review. J Pain. 2008;9(4):289-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2007.11.012
- Chen J, Lariviere WR. The nociceptive and anti-nociceptive effects of bee venom injection and therapy: a double-edged sword. Progress in Neurobiology. 2010;92(2):151-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2010.06.006
- Tinsley JA. The hazards of psychotropic herbs. Minn Med. 1999;82(5):29-31.
- Akobeng AK. Understanding randomised controlled trials. Arch Dis Child. 2005;90(8):840-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2004.058222
- Siow YL, Gong Y, Au-Yeung KK, Woo CW, Choy PC, O K. Emerging issues in traditional Chiness medicine. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;83(4):321-34. https://doi.org/10.1139/y05-029
- Yea SJ, Kim C, Kim JH, Jang HC, Kim SK, Han JM, Song MY. The analysis of traditional Korean medicine's information circumstance and the future plan of OASIS. J Korean Oriental Med. 2010;31(4):56.
- Park JE, Kang KW, Choi SM. Assessing methodological quality of acupuncture clinical trials of Korea. The J of Kor Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2007;24(1):127-35.
- White AR, Ernst E. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acupuncture for neck pain. Rheumatology. 1999;38:143-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/38.2.143
- Chung WS, Lee JS, Chung SH, Kim SS. The effect of bee venom acupuncture on patient with herniation of nucleus pulposus of lumbar spine. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2003;13(2):87-101.
- Lee JY. Type analysis of pharmacopuncture papers published in the journal of Korean institute of pharmacopuncture. Sangji University. 2006;9(3):147-54.
- Kweon KL, Koh HK, Kim CH. Experimental studies on the effect of api-toxin therapy on the anti-inflammatory action. Kyunghee University. 1993;16:297-323.
- Lee HS. The review on the study of bee venom in the domestic papers. The J of Kor Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(3):154-65.
- Park JW, Heo DS, Yoon IJ, Oh MS. An analysis of the study tendency on bee venom-focusing on study of bee venom in domestic theses-. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2006;16(2):31-52.
- Gwak JY, Cho SY, Shin AS, Lee IH, Kim NH, Kim HM, Na BJ, Park SU, Jung WS, Moon SK, Park JM, Ko CN, Cho KH, Kim YS, Bae HS. Efficacy of bee venom acupuncture on central post stroke pain-single-blind randomized controlled trial-. The J of Kor Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(6):205-14.
- Yoo HS, Kim JS. The effect of sweet bee venom pharmacopuncture (SBVP) on cancer-related pain: a randomized controlled trial and double blinded-pilot study. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(1):21-9.
- Shin YS, Ahn YO. Methodolgy of medical research. 1st ed. Seoul:Seoul National University Press. 1997:38-81.
- Chun BR. Sample size determination. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 1994;2(2):72-3.
- Lee TH, Hwang HS, Chang SY, Roh JD. The comparison of effectiveness between bee venom and sweet bee venom therapy on low back pain with radiating pain. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2007;10(3):85-9.
- Song BY. A clinical study on the effects of sweet bee venom herbal acupuncture for patients with whiplash injury. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2007;10(3):77-83. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2007.10.3.077
- Kim SC, Na WM, Lee SY, Jang EH, Lim SI. A study on pain relief effects and allergic responses for the osteoarthritis. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(1):31-40. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2008.11.1.031
- Kim KT, Song HS. A randomized controlled double blinding study of bee venom acupuncture therapy on sprain of c-spine. The J of Kor Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2005;22(4):189-95.
- An BJ, Song HS. Effect of bee venom-acupuncture therapy on patients with sprain of the wrist joint. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2006;9(2):167-71. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.2.167
- Yook TH, Yu JS, Jung HS. Effects of sweet bee venom and bee venom on the heart rate variability. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(1):41-54.
- Kim JH, Jang SH, Yoon HM, Jang KJ, Ahn CB, Kim CH, Song CH, Choi HN. The comparison of effectiveness between bee venom and sweet bee venom therapy on chronic lower back pain. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(4):15-24. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2008.11.4.015
- Na WM, Lee SY, Jang EH, Kim SC, Moon HC. A study on pain relief effects and allergic responses for the osteoarthritis of the knee joint between sweet bee venom and bee venom pharmacopuncture. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2007;10(2):47-55.
- Ham CG, Kim SY, Kim HK. Good publication practice guidelines for medical journals. Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors, KAMJE. 2008;1(1):14-17.
- Juni P, Altman DG, Egger M. Systematic reviews in health care: assessing the quality of controlled clinical trials. BMJ. 2001;323(7303):42-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.323.7303.42
- Moher D, Schulz KF, Altman D. The CONSORT statement: revised recommendations for improving the quality of reports of parallel-group randomized trials 2001. Explore (NY). 2005;1(1):40-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2004.11.001
- Kim SC, Lim JA, Kim SN, Lee SY, Lee SK, Moon HC, Koo ST, Choi SM. The clinical study on the change of pain after needle acupuncture and needle acupuncture combined herbal acupuncture therapy in the musculoskeletal disorder. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2005;8(2):83-90. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2005.8.2.083
- Clarke M, Oxman AD. Cochrane reviews' handbook. Oxford, UK:The Cochrane Library. 2001.
- Montenegro R, Needleman I, Moles D, Tonetti M. Quality of RCTs in periodontology-a systematic review. J Dent Res. 2002;81(12):866-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910208101214
- Park BK, Cho JH, Son CG. Randomized clinical controlled trials with herbal acupuncture (pharmacopuncture) in Korea-a systematic review. J Korean Oriental Med. 2009;30(5):115-26.
- Lee SH, Hong SJ, Kim SY, Yang HI, Lee JD, Choi DY, Lee DI, Lee YH. Randomized controlled double blind study of bee venom therapy on rheumatoid arthritis. The J of Kor Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(6):80-8.
- Yang KR, Song HS. A comparative study of warm needling and bee venom pharmacopuncture on osteoarthritis of the knee-a randomized controlled trial-. J Kor Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(2):21-31.
- Ko CN, Min IK, Park SW, Jung WS, Moon SK, Park JM, Cho KH, Kim YS, Bae HS. Effectiveness of bee venom acupuncture on shoulder pain after stroke. J Korean Oriental Med. 2007;28(1):11-24.
- Begg C, Cho M, Eastwood S, Horton R, Moher D, Olkin I, Pitkin R, Rennie D, Schulz K, Simel D, Stroup D. Improving the quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials: the CONSORT statement. JAMA. 1996;276(8):687-9.
- Chalmers I. Current controlled trials: an opportunity to help improve the quality of clinical research. Curr Control Trials Cardiovasc Med. 2000;1(1):3-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/CVM-1-1-003
- MacPherson H, White A, Cummings M, Jobst KA, Rose K, Niemtzow RC. Standards for reporting interventions in controlled trials of acupuncture: the STRICTA recommendations. J Altern Complement Med. 2002;8(1):85-9. https://doi.org/10.1089/107555302753507212
- Kim WY, Lee SD, Lim BM, Kim KS. The assessment of appropriateness of acupuncture methodology based on STRICTA recommendations-the discussion of 5 systematic reviews and their objects 58 randomized controlled trials using the new tools. The J of Kor Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2007;24(5):151-70.