- Volume 23 Issue 4
Objectives To investigate correlation between anthropometric data (neck circumference (NC), waist circumference (WC), body mass index (BMI), and body shape indexes) and radiological parameters of lumbosacrum. Methods The data of college students living in Seoul (n=24) were analyzed retrospectively. Anthropometric data of NC, WC, and BMI were measured. Lumbar spine X-ray film was taken to measure lumbar lordotic angle, Ferguson's angle. To evaluate body shape of participants, three indexes of neck-to-waist ratio (NWR), neck-to-height ratio (NHR), and waist-to-height ratio (WHR) were used. Anthropometric data's correlations with radiological parameters of lumbosacrum were investigated. Results Anthropometric data of NC, WC, and BMI had no significant correlation with radiological parameters of lumbosacrum. NWR had significant positive correlation with lumbar lordotic angle and Ferguson's angle. NHR and WHR had no significant correlation with radiological parameters of lumbosacrum. Conclusions The results suggest that NWR-related fat distribution in neck has significant correlation with radiological parameters of lumbosacrum regardless of obesity.
Spinal curvatures;Lumbosacral region;Obesity;Waist circumference;Neck circumference
- 정원석, 김성수, 송미연. 폐경 전 성인 비만여성의 비만도와 요추전만도의 상관성 분석. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2003;13(3):91-9.
- 김동준. 퇴행성 경추질환의 병태생리. 대한척추외과학회지. 1999;6(2):173-80.
- Nies N, Sinnott PL, Nies N, Sinnott PL. Variations in balance and body sway in middle-aged adults. Subjects with healthy backs compared with subjects with lowback dysfunction. Spine. 1991;16(3):325-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199103000-00012
- 송윤경, 임형호. 체형교정을 통한 비만치료에 대한 소고. 대한한방비만학회지. 2005;5(1):133-40.
- 정원석, 송미연, 김성수. 폐경 전 성인 비만 여성의 요.천추 만곡과 복부비만도와의 상관성 분석. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2007;17(4):175-83.
- Gallagher D, Visser M, Sepulveda D, Pierson RN, Harris T, Heymsfield SB. How useful is body mass index for comparison of body fatness across age, sex, and ethnic groups? Am J Epidemiol. 1996;143(3):228-39. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a008733
- Ben-Noun LL, Laor A. Relationship between changes in neck circumference and changes in blood pressure. Am J Hypertens. 2004;17:409-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjhyper.2004.02.005
- Harris TB, Visser M, Everhart J, Cauley J, Tylavsky F, Fuerst T, Zamboni M, Taaffe D, Resnick HE, Scherzinger A, Nevitt M. Waist circumference and sagittal diameter reflect total body fat better than visceral fat in older men and women. The Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000;904:462-73.
- Ross R, Leger L, Morris D, de Guise J, Guardo R. Quantification of adipose tissue by MRI: relationship with anthropometric variables. J Appl Physiol. 1992;72(2):787-95. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.1918.104.22.1687
- Ben-Noun L, Sohar E, Laor A. Neck circumference as a simple screening measure for identifying overweight and obese patients. Obes Res. 2001;9(8):470-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2001.61
- Onat A, Hergenc G, Yuksel H, Can G, Ayhan E, Kaya Z, Dursunoglu D. Neck circumference as a measure of central obesity: associations with metabolic syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome beyond waist circumference. Clin Nutr. 2009;28(1):46-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2008.10.006
- Subramanian S, Jayaraman G, Majid H, Aguilar R, Surani S. Influence of gender and anthropometric measures on severity of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Breath. 2012;16(4):1091-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-011-0607-9
- Simpson L, Mukherjee S, Cooper MN, Ward KL, Lee JD, Fedson AC, Potter J, Hillman DR, Eastwood P, Palmer LJ, Kirkness J. Sex differences in the association of regional fat distribution with the severity of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep. 2010;33(4):467-74. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/33.4.467
- Yang GR, Yuan SY, Fu HJ, Wan G, Zhu LX, Bu XL, Zhang JD, Du XP, Li YL, Ji Y, Gu XN, Li Y. Neck circumference positively related with central obesity, overweight, and metabolic syndrome in Chinese subjects with type 2 diabetes: Beijing Community Diabetes Study 4. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(11):2465-7. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-0798
- Nies N, Sinnott PL. Nies N, Sinnott PL. Variations in balance and body sway in middle-aged adults. Subjects with healthy backs compared with subjects with low-back dysfunction. Spine. 1991;16(3):325-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199103000-00012
- Snijder MB, Dekker JM, Visser M, Bouter LM, Stehouwer CD, Kostense PJ, Yudkin JS, Heine RJ, Nijpels G, Seidell JC. Associations of hip and thigh circumferences independent of waist circumference with the incidence of type 2 diabetes: the Hoorn Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003;77(5):1192-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/77.5.1192
- Polly DW Jr, Kilkelly FX, McHale KA, Asplund LM, Mulligan M, Chang AS. Measurement of lumbar lordosis. Evaluation of intraobserver, interobserver, and technique variability. Spine. 1996;21(13):1530-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199607010-00008
- 한정석, 금동호. 척추만곡 이상에 대한 문헌적 고찰. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2003;13(4):173-86.
- 이주립. 여대생들의 척추이상에 관한 분석연구. 한국체육학회지. 1996;35(4):311-7.
- 이병규, 남기석, 이충휘. 남녀 대학생의 척추만곡에 관한 연구. 한국전문물리치료학회지. 1998;5(3):72-87.
- Freedman DS, Rimm AA. The relation of body fat distribution, as assessed by six girth measurements, to diabetes mellitus in women. Am J Public Health. 1989; 79(6):715-20. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.79.6.715
- Laakso M, Matilainen V, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S. Association of neck circumference with insulin resistance-related factors. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2002;26(6):873-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802002
- Karakas P, Bozkir MG. Anthropometric indices in relation to overweight and obesity among Turkish medical students. 2012;8(2):209-13.
- Banhiran W, Junlapan A, Assanasen P, Chongkolwatana C. Physical predictors for moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea in snoring patients. Sleep Breath. Epub 2013 May 24.